Static Website vs Dynamic Website at Dreamhost.com

Hi to all

I want to setup a high traffic Website at Dreamhost. I am aware that they will kick me out if i overuse their CPU, but what if i setup the website just with static pages? The website will have about 2000 different html webpages. Is the CPU of a static website overused if the website lets say gets 1.000.000 unique visitors with 4.000.000 pageviews per month? I know that if it is setup dynamically i will have for shure a problem and they will kick me out because of CPU overusage, but what if the website is setup only with static pages?

Thanks to all

George

AFAIK DreamHost tracks CPU usage by looking at processes running under your user ID. If there are only static pages, no CGI or PHP is invoked, thus nothing is running against your user ID - hence from their point of view you don't use any CPU at all, as usage of Apache is not counting against you. They actually provide a way for you to track how much CPU time you are using every day so you can always benchmark and test it, and seek refund within 97 days if you don't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by ylsy
    AFAIK DreamHost tracks CPU usage by looking at processes running under your user ID. If there are only static pages, no CGI or PHP is invoked, thus nothing is running against your user ID - hence from their point of view you don't use any CPU at all, as usage of Apache is not counting against you. They actually provide a way for you to track how much CPU time you are using every day so you can always benchmark and test it, and seek refund within 97 days if you don't like them.
    So actually that would mean that if someone wants to host a HIGH TRAFFIC STATIC website with Dreamhost he will not have big problems with CPU usage? Are static websites that much CPU friendly? I mean if a static website gets between 5.000.000 - 10.000.000 pageviews per month and also stays below the 2 TeraByte Bandwidth that Dreamhost offers with their "Crazy Domain Insane!" Hosting Plan will this website be CPU friendly? Will this high traffic website not overstress the CPU? I mean its between 5.000.000 - 10.000.000 pageviews ( 1.000.000 - 1.500.000 unique visitors )

Thanks

George

I mean if a static website gets between 5.000.000 - 10.000.000 pageviews per month and also stays below the 2 TeraByte Bandwidth that Dreamhost offers with their "Crazy Domain Insane!" Hosting Plan will this website be CPU friendly? Will this high traffic website not overstress the CPU? I mean its between 5.000.000 - 10.000.000 pageviews
    It can overload the server and the customer (aka you) will be asked to "work with them to find a solution"... This is BTW one of the scenarios because of which some people feel high overselling isn't exactly fair toward the customers. The debate is endless.

Anyway, no one can say for sure "yes you can get away with X million page views per month". DH themselves might be able to give you a ballpark figure based on their past experience, but not a guarantee.

Anyway, if you ask me, a site such as the one you were describing is worth a serious hosting solution, not to be "thrown" in a shared hosting environment, and with the right person at the helm (or the right advice), it should turn out a good profit regardless of the "high" hosting expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    It can overload the server and the customer (aka you) will be asked to "work with them to find a solution"... This is BTW one of the scenarios because of which some people feel high overselling isn't exactly fair toward the customers. The debate is endless.
    But it would not overuse the CPU? So there would be no reason for suspending such a website? Because its all made with static pages. No PHP, Forum, Database script or whatever on the site.

Sincrely

George

CPU overload, overuse, abuse, all designate a similar situation: the host not being happy with you in their shared hosting environment.

With enough traffic to it, a single file can become too much for a server.

CPU overload, overuse, abuse, all designate a similar situation: the host not being happy with you in their shared hosting environment.

But they say that they allow a Traffic of 2 TeraByte per month. I know that this is insane and that they loose money with it, but in the case i dont overuse their CPU... even if i download 1.5 TeraByte they cant say something if i use barely the CPU. And according to their TOS they can only suspend me because of CPU OVERUSAGE and not if if use over 1 TeraByte of traffic.

The main question says.. Is a static webpage using in any way the CPU?

Thanks

George

even if i download 1.5 TeraByte they cant say something if i use barely the CPU. And according to their TOS they can only suspend me because of CPU OVERUSAGE and not if if use over 1 TeraByte of traffic.
    That is correct.

The answer is yes.

Like I said in other posts, Dreamhost allows you to use 1TB of bandwith, I've seen several people posting in their blog that they used over 1TB of bandwith ...and one said he was happy to pay for the extra bandwith (about 200-300$ I think).
    Anyway ...in case you go with them ...remember to do your backups
    My experience with them was somehow nice (I signed up just when they had problems ...so my account took 3 days to activate - but I don't blame them)...what can you expect for less than 30$ / year?. I'm using more than 5 gigs of space and about 15-60 gigs of bandwith every month. It's also for backup purpose ...as I you have ssh ... you can download and pack backups from other accounts.
    The issues they had seem to be resolved now ...I didn't encounter downtine or slowdowns for about 2 weeks. I don't say they are very good or that they or worst ...but I wouldn't give 30$ / year for what I'm using to any other host.
    Got Fused?

Quote Originally Posted by gmantakis
    But they say that they allow a Traffic of 2 TeraByte per month. I know that this is insane and that they loose money with it, but in the case i dont overuse their CPU... even if i download 1.5 TeraByte they cant say something if i use barely the CPU. And according to their TOS they can only suspend me because of CPU OVERUSAGE and not if if use over 1 TeraByte of traffic.

Static web pages use very minimum CPU, and today's web servers (Apache in DH's case) are efficient enough to keep overhead of streaming files to network down to next to nothing. Besides 4 million page views of static files per month is really nothing. I have known many people who have used more than 1Tb per month on DreamHost (and were unfortunate enough to have to pay overage charge) by service static media files.

And my other point is, DreamHost tracks CPU usage using system accounting (sa) commands, and that is done on per-unix user level. Most dynamic pages in DreamHost are served via CGI running under user's own ID, including PHP, which enables them to track CPU usage effectively. However, CPU usage done by Apache is not added to your user ID, so pure static sites will use next to no CPU against your account, from DreamHost's point of view.

Of course, since I am not DreamHost, I can't say they'll never terminate you for running a high traffic static site. They might perform CPU usage accounting manually and decide that your site is a hog - I have no idea. It is best for you to work that out with DreamHost yourself.

Scott

If you are talking about CPU, that will only happen if you put a 100Mhz Pentium behind a 1Gbps pipe.

With today's servers, even in shared hosting with 500 accounts in one box, a single static file will never overload the CPU without saturating the network pipe first.

Using some basic information about apache tweaking found on google I managed to make a sempron 2600+ with 512 DDR running on noname hardware to push apache to do 800-1100+ hits/ second on a static page without crashing or loosing more than 0.001% transactions (I'm no expert on this, it was a 3 minutes read, yes, the CPU feels it) but ... when is that gonna happen to you? ... Plus ...webhosting servers these days are not really semprons with 512 DDR ...
    Today we have (Beowulf) clusters, 4GB ram, RAID and dual 4 cores CPU ...
    Last edited by Siropel; 10-06-2006 at 06:09 AM.
    Got Fused?

Since they changed their cpu limits policy i haven't seen a single person complaining in wht or anywhere else, so my advice is ... for 20$ ... just try and see if it fits.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/V8.05_May_2006 (So everyone can chill regarding the cpu limits thing...damm it's in every post)

Quote Originally Posted by fiend
    Since they changed their cpu limits policy i haven't seen a single person complaining in wht or anywhere else, so my advice is ... for 20$ ... just try and see if it fits.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/V8.05_May_2006 (So everyone can chill regarding the cpu limits thing...damm it's in every post)
    That happened in May, and in June

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=522786

My understanding is, that DreamHost basically won't kick you automatically when you exceed a fix amount of CPU minutes per day (60 minutes I think). However if you are using way too much CPU time, they still reserve a right to shutdown your sites.

Quote Originally Posted by ylsy
    That happened in May, and in June

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthre ylsy ad.php?t=522786

My understanding is, that DreamHost basically won't kick you automatically when you exceed a fix amount of CPU minutes per day (60 minutes I think). However if you are using way too much CPU time, they still reserve a right to shutdown your sites.
    Yes i understood. And that is the reason i choosed for the beginning to run the website just with static pages and not with dynamic. I know if i would run a dynamic website with 5.000.000 pageviews on dreamhost i would be kicked out immediatly. But will a website where all its webpages are static pages generate cpu problems if it has 5.000.000 pageviews per month? I know that dynamic pages create a big problem to the cpu.. but i ask if someoe has some experience with static pages. I will run only static pages and someone mentioned that Apache traffic doesnt count in the cpu usage for dreamhost.

Sincerely

George