DELL PowerEdge sc1425 Server - Feedback?

Hi,

I am setting myself up for colocation. I have been offered a dell poweredge sc1425 server with the following specs:
    2 x 2.8ghz XEON processors
    1gb DDR3200 memory
    80 GB drive

The usual CD drive etc that comes as standard

However, the dell website states:
    A high performance, rack-dense dual processor server targeted primarily at Small and Medium Business (SMB) customers and high performance computing customers that require high performance, but do not need high availability systems because redundancy is provided at the application level.
    I dont really understand the part highlighted in bold. Doesnt any serious webmaster require their server/site to be highly available 24/7/365?

Is it referring to RAID and the fact the data isnt replicated anywhere for a backup?

Anybody can shed some light - this is my first server
    BioALIEN
    █ Secure your name before someone else does: The Million Dollar Advert.com
    █ Get your permanent keyword listing and get better Search Engine ranking.

It is referring that this isn't a highly available server, nor does it have the ability to upgrade to such features like the higher end models.

A PE1950 would give you the option of redundant power supplies, and hardware raid for SCSI, SAS, or whatever drive setup you're using.

The SC1425 is a perfectly fine server and actually is the configuration most used in the hosting industry to keep costs down.

Personally I do buy the 1750, 1850, 1950 line for myself as I like the higher end configs. I also would never place a critical service like MySQL on a non-redundant server like a SC1425.

But if you're just running a game server, mid-range hosting without high uptime requirements then it should be fine. Worst case scenario is your 80GB hard drive fails, or your power supply and you need get the replacement part from Dell and drive out to the colo to replace it. (Make sure you have automated daily backups stored off the server).

Estimate how long it'll take for you to get your part from Dell (same day service is 2-4 hours in metro areas), otherwise 1-2 days by mail.

If that's too long, purchase and keep spare parts on hand. Then however long it takes to drive and install them, or have a tech at the colo do it for you (if available) for a fee.
    Last edited by sshepherd; 10-05-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks for the feedback Scott. You've raised some very interesting points.

I am at a loss now, because the risk factor running with this type of server is too high. The server is intended to host a client of mine. Although it is relatively high traffic, its not big on bandwidth.

Traffic will be bought through Adwords, so the uptime during the day (UK) is of absolute priority. Simply put, if the server goes down during the day, the client will be spitting money sending traffic to a dead site. After business hours the uptime is not mission critical.

I am trying to balance the priority vs the price. Will go the LAMP root and planning to run it all from one box.

So, would anybody still recommend the option above? I think RAID is coming into the equation?
    BioALIEN

RAID is not supported on that box in linux, as far as I'm aware.

I'd go for a PE1950 with either RAID5 or 10 (depending on your application) and perhaps even a hot spare power supply.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

We have several 1425's and they are redundant. We just add in our own (3ware) RAID cards and "poof" RAID-1. You can't do RAID-5 (they can only fit 2 drives) and you can't have redundant power supplies.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

I ran 3 of these servers with 3ware raid cards and centos for over a year. Never had a single failure. They are a good value for the money.

We have numerous SC1425's and they are rock solid boxes. We have customers running FBSD / Linux, some using software RAID some not. A couple of the customers push 80 - 90Mbps all day long from these boxes without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BioALIEN
    Hi,

I am setting myself up for colocation. I have been offered a dell poweredge sc1425 server with the following specs:
    2 x 2.8ghz XEON processors
    1gb DDR3200 memory
    80 GB drive

The usual CD drive etc that comes as standard

However, the dell website states:

I dont really understand the part highlighted in bold. Doesnt any serious webmaster require their server/site to be highly available 24/7/365?

Is it referring to RAID and the fact the data isnt replicated anywhere for a backup?

Anybody can shed some light - this is my first server
    Personally I'd avoid this machine at all costs. For the same amount of money you can buy a far superior server from HP, the DL145 G2. The DL145 G2 has:

- Remote Console built in
    - IPMI 2.0
    - Remote Power Management
    - 20% Lower power usage according to my kilawatt (we have some of both)
    - Rack rails included in the price (not a $150 add-on)

HP also has a couple hundred engineers devoted to LInux. Dell has Matt Domsch. Woe is the world when Matt quits Dell, their entire Linux Server Architecture group will be missing at that point.

The only reservation I would have with this machine is that they absolutely guzzle power...

Fine if power cost is not an issue to you.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

We have about 20 of these in our DC, and have had one power supply failure in about 1 1/2 years of owning the equipment. They run fairly well and can be upgraded to do RAID with a 3ware card as stated above.

The main downside to them is they they are power pigs as Olly said - I'd estimate that they use 25% more power than a similar spec Supermicro or Tyan machine.

Comparing the SC1425 to a DL145 is kind of an apples and oranges comparison - the Dell box is Xeon-based, the HP box is an Opteron machine, and in my experience tend to be more expensive than the Dell's both used and new, especially if you can get one of the Dell machines on sale.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - Affordable Colocation Services in Las Vegas, Dallas, Miami, and Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by BioALIEN
    Thanks for the feedback Scott. You've raised some very interesting points.

I am at a loss now, because the risk factor running with this type of server is too high. The server is intended to host a client of mine. Although it is relatively high traffic, its not big on bandwidth.

Traffic will be bought through Adwords, so the uptime during the day (UK) is of absolute priority. Simply put, if the server goes down during the day, the client will be spitting money sending traffic to a dead site. After business hours the uptime is not mission critical.

I am trying to balance the priority vs the price. Will go the LAMP root and planning to run it all from one box.

So, would anybody still recommend the option above? I think RAID is coming into the equation?
    If there's relatively a good amount of advertising money being spent to drive traffic to the site, I would recommend RAID as a minimum redundant option. You may also want a remote management option like a DRAC so you can console in if access to the colo is a issue.

When I was doing purchases of 1850's I found their prices to be close enough to 1425SC's that it wasn't worth getting the lower end equipment. It just depends on the types of deals dell is offering or if you have a rep what they're able to do.

HP, or any AMD based brand is also a very viable option for performance/low power usage.

Thanks guys, some very helpful comments. Since AMD Opteron have come into the discussion, I also have an option to go with the following:

This is a little cheaper in terms of price compared to the above. I'd be very pleased if you can help me choose a winner!
    BioALIEN

If you want to go with dell, why not 860 with dual core P-D (or upgrade to Xeon 3000)?

It will use much less power, with the same performance, and 3 yr warranty. And it will cost less.

Like others have said, you can add your own RAID (Dell's or third party) and remote card (DRAC4)

riverpast, I am buying from a friend so the prices for the stated unites are much lower than whats on offer on Dell's website.
    BioALIEN