FTP Setup on Windows 2003 Standard

Im trying to setup FTP on Windows 2003 Standard. Multiple people will need access, the problem Im having is how do I make it to where certain ftp accounts only have access to certain folders and certain ftp accounts have access to the whole root directory of that folder?

For instance under websitefolder you have a folder called bobsfolder. I want bob to login and just be "jailed" to bobsfolder, but when websitefolderadmin logs in they have access to the root of websitefolder and all its subfolders.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Silly

Create a new user though mmc and create a ftp accounts in IIS with the same name. You can make multiple user access multiple folder or same folder....(through path definition)

It is possible to do..
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty

Is this a common practice? Or a work around for this situation? Also where do I create ftp accounts? Dont see it anywhere. You talking ftp user accounts via IIS or ftp account folders?

Silly

It is a common practise, and you need to create a FTP accounts through IIS. Do you have any FTP software like geneFTP....? If so you can makeuse of that
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty

When you say FTP account do you mean user account or FTP sites?

Silly

IIS FTP does not create any new accounts by username, the trick is, you have to create virtual directory in IIS FTP Default FTP Site by same name as of the username you want to give access to.

So step1, Goto Computer Manager, in users create a new user called USER1 and then goto IIS FTP Default FTP Site and create a virtual directory USER1 and point it to folder say for example c:\users\USER1 , you must give c:\user\USER1 full access rights before accessing it through FTP.
    - Akash Kava
    My Blog
    Web Atoms JS

I think they are meaning folder names with the same name as the username.

Create your user within 'Computer Management' assiging them to whatever groups you need for your environment. Now open up the IIS mmc and go to your FTP site. Within that site create a 'virtual folder' with the same name as your username you just created pointing to the directory you want to only access.

Hope that helps.

So after doing some research I guess I also have to create a "dummy" folder so that the user cant go up a folder and see other peoples folders right? I also assume to create one main admin ftp account for the root I just create a virtual directory with the path to the root of the website itself and give them read/write access on the folder side correct?

Silly

I would like some information on this issue. I currently just have a single FTP site that people can access with diffrent folders used for sites and I just setup permissions for them so only the right people can access them and list the directory.

Tomdarkness - what information do you want to know?
    Fusionapps.NET (http://www.fusionapps.net)
    Windows Virtual / Dedicated / Application Servers / Colo
    Toll Free: 1-888-514-8100 option 5
    Email: sales@fusionapps.net

http://weblogs.asp.net/owscott/archi.../05/68423.aspx... i believe this Link will be more usefull for you ..
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty

Ok I think Im getting it. I create a main blank directory and have the default ftp site point to that. Then I create virtual directories under that with the same name as the user account created. For the account to have overall control over all folders I create a virtual directory to the root of the website with the same username as the ftp admin.

My last question is I get permission denied when I ftp as the site admin and go into another users virtual directory and try to delete something. Do I need to give that admin read/write access to the root directory where all the website directories are located? Or is that something I do in the IIS side?

Thanks
    Silly

You need to inherit the permission.
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty

Right so I need to go to the top level folder and give my admin read/write access and have everything below it inherit the permissions set at the top level correct? Just want to make sure.

Silly

Yes, If you need to have user-admin to have read/write for all the sub-directories within the main directory, then you need to inherit like that. :-)
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty

Great, thanks! Been so long since I had to administrate a Windows web server. So used to nix environment.

Silly