Best way to address hosting clients's ImageMagick needs?

Hello:

Several users have requested ImageMagick for various image manipulation scipts. We primarily suggest a VPS or dedicated solution, but is there any way to offer the ImageMagick service on virtual accounts without crippling the entire server and other clients' sites?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Chad

AMK Hosting LLC
    AMK Hosting - Built for big ideas.
    CabSpace - hosting and forums

A proper configuration of ImageMagik will do no harm to your server... IMO, I don't see why some hosts don't support ImageMagik.

A dedicated server for ImageMagick? any host should be able to offer it to their customers without any problem, is almost basic.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Thanks for the reply. Ok. Anybody have the 'proper' ImageMagick configuration details? :-) We've had some resource issues when heavier programs (like Gallery2) have accessed it with a bunch of large files. Maybe it was unrelated and we're associating it with the wrong script.

Thanks!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    A dedicated server for ImageMagick? any host should be able to offer it to their customers without any problem, is almost basic.
    Ok. We're going to have to let them have it then. :-) Like I said, we must have been associating the problem with the wrong piece of the puzzle.

Thanks

Yes, or probably a bad configuration of ImageMagick, usually you shouldn't have any problem.
    We host many sites using Gallery2 without any problem.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Thanks Jedito,

We'll give it another shot. We just had a bad experience a while back, and have avoided it for the time being. We'll dig into it.

Does anyone have pointers on setting it up so we don't make the same mistake twice?

Chad

just download and untar it
    ./configure
    make
    make install

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    just download and untar it
    ./configure
    make
    make install

Haha..cool. Thanks everybody for the comments. We'll give it another shot.

I have been in hosting since 1998, but I've dealt primarily with dedicated servers. Working with AMK, everyonce in a while you run into something on virtual hosting that throws you a loop and affects a wide variety of people. Always more edges to smooth out.

If you have Cpanel, I think there is a script,

/scripts/installimagemagick

or something like that anyway.... I don't remember the exact name of it.

Thanks. We currently don't have any machines using cPanel. We are running DirectAdmin, Plesk, and H-sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanhughson
    If you have Cpanel, I think there is a script,

/scripts/installimagemagick

or something like that anyway.... I don't remember the exact name of it.

Ah ok cool. I've got some installation instructions saved if you need them. I can PM them on request.

Depending on your operating system, it might even be available as a package that you can just install with one line.

Thanks, any help is appreciated. We're currently running CentOS 4 on our virtual hosting machines, I believe.

I private messaged, but it might be useful to others, so here it is repeated:

For CentOS 4, you can install it using yum.

The command is:

yum install imagemagick

To check Imagemagick is installed, you can type convert -version

and that's it.

Many thanks, that's simple enough...haha. Let me know if I can help you in the future.

Chad