Question London/UK Based Colocation

Hi,

I'm looking to colocate two Dell servers in a London or UK based DC. The servers are to be used for web hosting traffic.

I've looked at three companies so far. 49Pence, Phrux and Gyron. The latter offer managed colocation, which is lovely, but only 300GB per month of data transfer allowance at 95 per month (granted, this is only a suggested price)

49Pence and Phrux offer 2TB of monthly allowance on a 100/MBit switch port, Phrux stating that connection is burstable to 100/MBit at full-duplex, all for 49/pm; 49Pence offering the same monthly transfer allowance at 39/pm.

I don't know who to go for, and what kind of service they offer. I'm looking to start a small web hosting business based in the UK, but I feel having 2TB of monthly traffic allowance will grant me a lot of freedom with my packages (I wont be over selling resources) and a 100/MBit connection will be more than enough connectivity.

On the other hand, however, managed colocation sounds likea safe option, but an option only offering 300GB of monthly data allowance, at a much greater price per month (I understand some of it is for the managed colocation part of things)

The server specs are as follows (if this is relevant); 2xDell PowerEdges housing dual Xeon 3.0 CPUs, 2GB of DDR2 SDRAM and 2x160GB SATA 300 HDD's in RAID 1.

Any help would be most welcome.

Regards,

M Crilly.

Hi!

Why don't you try www.dedifast.net
    Regards, Rumi
    www.unixexperts.co.uk
    Expert in Server Administration, Network Administration, Server Optimization, Security Audit, Kernel Upgrades and Troubleshooting.

Colocation

That's not quite what I'm looking for. Only 100GB of monthly bandwidth for a large price.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Mike.

We use Gyron for IP transit / some of our colo and I have to say they are a fantastic operation. Expensive but you get what you pay for.

You may get a better price however going through someone who has a bigger commit with the provider you want to use, a new customer is an extra contact and and more admin work for a company therefore you will find that when colocating smaller amounts of equipment with larger companies the cost is considerably higher.

Dan

Well,

What do you guys know of 49Pence and Phrux.co.uk? Do they offer decent transit? Will I see good speeds from my server if hosted on them?

Regards,

MIke.

49Pence is RapidSwitch, which a lot of startout providers seem to be using in RedBus at the moment.

The transit is alright, but then again i've experienced some drop outs with some servers i have on RapidSwitch feed's with some offsite UK suppliers.

RapidSwitch throughput speeds are fine.
    Chris Imrie
    Freelance Consultant

Hello

What are you after in terms of service, as 49pence and Gyron, from direct of the experience of the former, and from direct reviews of the latter, offer very different kinds of services.

Are you after a cost effective solution while you grow? If so, costing of bandwidth rackspace would be the main consideration. If not, a good idea is to ask why charges apply if your server goes down at 3am. How quick someone will be in front of it etc etc?

Without doing so, it's very difficult to gage what company will be most stuiable without something going *bang* in the middle of the night, and you needing help, fast! Best of luck.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

I'd find out what kind of management Gyron offer, as if a HDD breaks, will they replace it and restore the server? If you only get software support, there are a lot of companies that will provide you with server management, serverwizards, platinumservermanagement, rack911 are all good names, search the forum if you need more.

As for providers, you could look at some that are not in London (eg Poundhost in Maidenhead) as they can be a lot easier to get to than docklands.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.

Hi,

Well Gyron by the looks of things offer managed colocation. Whether this means they'll replace a HDD at 3AM when it goes *bang* is not known, but I assume that's what they mean by managed colocation, which is something I'm interested in if it does infact turn out to be 3AM HDD replacements for "free."

A cost effective solution whilst I grow would be nice, but at the same time I don't want to lose good service and 24/7 onsite support from my provider because I took the cheap option. I read on here once that it's wise to go with the expensive/pricey option, as it'll keep doors open for the future - I could go for a P4 1024MB of RAM server, but instead I'm going with a Dual Xeon server with 2x RAID 1 SCSI 60 GB HDD's, rsync'd to a second server of exactly the same specs (meaning data is backed up onto a second, local drive, as well onto another two drives in another box) to allow for excellent support and some serious power for "mission critical" sites, or any other web service requiring beefy hardware.

That all may seem overboard, but hey, it means I can offer load balances, external backup and heavy load web services to "anyone".

Gyron seem like the guys for me, and I am prepared to put 200-250 a month into the renting of rack space and managed colocation, but it would be nice if I could get a nice 500GB minimum of monthly data transfer allowance with that price.

Gyron have quoted me 95.00 setup fee, and 165.00 per month for 1.5TB of monthly bandwidth (is this premium bandwidth, with an SLA?) for a 1U rack space slot - I was kinda hoping they'd offer me 500GB per 1U for 100-115 each, which would be nice (I have asked), I wonder if they'll devide that cost across two servers, giving each one 750GB each for say, 100 each?

49Pence offer cheap monthly data transfer allowance, but at what cost? I can't imagine I'll be able to count on them to have an engineer come on site to swap over to the secondary server because a Xeon processor combusted out of boredom, for free, for 39 a month - they'd be bankrupt, unless they had a few thousand colocation customers to keep income up.

Let me put it simply (not to imply you're stupid or don't understand):

• 500-750GB minimum of monthly data transfer allowance PER 1U
    • Managed colocation, with (hopefully) "free" (I'll pay for the hardware) emergency hardware replacement at 3AM in the morning (with an SLA)
    • A friendly team I can communicate with over the phone, or maybe even visit in person if I decide to pop down to say hi!
    • Premium or at least not "junk" bandwidth that will drop... well ever, at all - with an SLA please sir, thank you.
    • A pint down the local pub - Fosters please
    I'll be hopefully targetting not only the public, but businesses that require nice hardware; if I can't get such customers as the latter, then fine, I'll offer premium web hosting to the general public or private clients - who ever wants it.

I talk too much, so I'll leave some room on this page for you guys to answer.

Thanks for all the replies so far, been a great help,

Regards,

M Crilly.

Hello

Your requirements are reasonable. My only recommendation, and I cannot urge this strongly enough, is do your research on the companies you shortlist.

There are *so* many companies in the UK that hide behind a fancy website and prices. So many that are hours away from their datacentre facilities. So many that would be very little help in the early hours, if something went horribly wrong.

There are very few that would match what you want. That's not mean't in a direspectful way (you know what you want, and you are willing to pay it).

What I mean by it, is there are a lot of UK companies that very much give the impression from their claims of 24/7 support that if you needed help, bad, at 3am they'd be sat in front of the rack, ready. It couldn't be further from the truth for a lot.

There are however companies out there (like Gyron from I've heard), that would be suitable for what you want.

But for your own piece of mind and future success, do some real advanced homework on the companies you shortlist!

I hope any UK companies reading this will not take offence by this post. It's mean't in the best possible way, and as I said...there are lots of quality UK colo hosts out there.

Best of luck with it.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

What about natural growth?

My advice is to go for the good but cheap option, get a feel for how things are, gain some experience as a webhost, grow the business, gain some clients then and only then you can be in a position to make the natural progression to the expensive hosts/rent out a "chunk" of the datacentre/higher your own staff. At least that way, the business is financially stable and the risk factor is minimum.

I understand you want to project a professional image by going for the most robust and expensive option and willing to pay for it. But as everything in business you have to weigh up the price vs benefit. Worse case senario would be to go for the expensive option available to you but lack the customers to maintain your profit margins.

I understand all startups lose money in their early years. But it doesnt have to be this way with careful planning and some common sense. You seem to possess both of these qualities.

Goodluck with your decision
    BioALIEN
    █ Secure your name before someone else does: The Million Dollar Advert.com
    █ Get your permanent keyword listing and get better Search Engine ranking.

We use www.2host.co.uk... excellent network and fantastic support.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

I have used both 49pence and gyron.

49pence are fairly good(all be it I only have a dedicated server), They do have a few outages, I have noticed they do go down for 10 minutes or do every time they have a ddos attack(around 3 in the past few months) , they also had a power issue I belive not that long ago.

All in all, I've never had a major outage and the longest one has probably been under 40 minutes. So I do recommend them.

---

Gyron on the other hand are excellent. < 5 minute response times , they will help with ANYTHING. I have worked with 2 seperate hosts that use gyron and are by far one of the best providers i've ever had the pleasure of working with.

For what they offer, they are very cheap.

-Scott
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by BioALIEN
    My advice is to go for the good but cheap option...
    This is the option I am trying to find, but 49Pence, Phrux or Gyron? Gyron offer excellent support from what I've heard, and no one has a bad thing to say about them. 49Pence get DDoS'd and drop a lot - not what I'm looking for. I'm looking to provide premium web hosting here that wont be "cheap". 500MB of HDD space and 10GB of monthly bandwidth wont cost your a 1&1 style of 5.99 per month.

I have to say, I am indeed very impressed with Gyron, their image and the comments they've received.

I don't know if I can get away with asking this here, but I seem to have rounded up the right people to ask; would people pay more for web hosting (what I'd consider to be premium) if it was load balanced on two Dual Xeon Dell PowerEdges with SCSI drives and premium, managed colocation and bandwidth?

Gyron have impressed me so far, and if I can strike a deal with them, I very well may go with them.

Anyone got an more personal exprience with Gyron, 49Pence and this Phrux?

We do business with both Gyron and 49Pence/Rapidswitch.

If you are looking for a company which puts some serious thought, money and effort into maintaining a superb infrastructure with rock solid support any time of the day or night and is a company who will actually get to know you and your business then Gyron are *the* choice out of the providers you've listed.

We've been using them for a variety of services (ip transit, remote hands, hardware etc) for a year and a half and they have been absolutely faultless.

Kris
    Kris - nitrohosting.net
    Premium Dell Windows/Linux dedicated servers in London
    Great value shared hosting & ADSL.
    PM/Email for no-obligation quotes.

Hi,

Well yes I KNOW Gyron are great, I've gathered this already haha!

But what about 49Pence? I've had so far is they get DDoS'd and drop very now and then. Anymore on this?

Don't get me wrong on that, it's not like they are down every day. In the past 5 months(I belive it's 5 anyway) I have been with them I have had around 4 seperate outages with the longest being around 40 minutes and it was always at night.

I do belive they have completed their latest round of maintenance as from when I added my main site to siteuptime it shows 100% (although 30 minute intervals are pretty poor)

http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics...&&UserId=38962

If you cannot afford to go with gyron then 49pence should be your next choice.

-Scott
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

Hi,

I have used only 49pence out of your list and refuse to use them ever again. Yes it was 4 or 5 months back so experiences might have changed by other users but my opinion on those guys dont change and this was after being with them for over a year. Over priced on these technicians hours who don’t know how to diagnose faults correctly, need to charge for little things and the need to charge for me to repair my own stuff when I visit which when I signed up they didn’t actually do. I moved to IKCs and apart from the one or two small issues Ive been much happier.

http://ikcs.net/

They also do offers in the forums too

Quote Originally Posted by mcrilly
    Well,

What do you guys know of 49Pence and Phrux.co.uk? Do they offer decent transit? Will I see good speeds from my server if hosted on them?

Regards,

MIke.

Mike, I cant seem to access Phrux.co.uk - it returns a 404. A quick google search didnt return anything on the site, company or any mention of it. I find that rather strange?
    BioALIEN
    █ Secure your name before someone else does: The Million Dollar Advert.com
    █ Get your permanent keyword listing and get better Search Engine ranking.

Hi,

TheGreat1, I'll certain take all that into account, thank you very much for your reply and opinions.

BioAlien: Sorry, it's Phurix. My bad

Another positive for Gyron. We have a transit feed from them as a backup (2 sessions) and can not fault it. On the transit there is 100% SLA, not sure if thats the same on transit to colocated servers.
    Goscomb Technologies Limited - www.goscomb.net / AS39326
    E: [email protected] P: +44 (0) 203 129 4400 F: +44 (0) 203 129 4410
    IP Transit :: Colocation :: Dedicated Servers :: Leased Lines :: DSL
    Registered in England and Wales No. 05672987 - VAT Registration No. 853 7954 80

I'll chime in as a fellow member of the Gyron Appreciation Society. We've been with them for 3 or 4 years and now have about a dozen servers there. The extra money you pay covers their "premium" nature - they use Juniper/Foundry switches and routers and APC racks, both of which are generally regarded as "the best". They do not have staff in the datacentre 24hrs but their staff live within 10 minutes or so of the place and have remote access to most stuff. Their 24hr support telephone number will hunt around their telephones until they answer. They can instruct the building's staff to do simple remote hands stuff (push buttons, plug things in) and will happily travel in to sort out your more complicated emergency. If you've done everything reasonable to minimise the chances of things screwing up then they probably won't charge you extra for that.

I would trust Gyron to open up a server, diagnose a hardware fault and fix it. They would probably charge for this level of work.

I've never used 49pence. I have just driven back from one of 49p's competitors who do have 24hr staff. Whilst cheerful, the night staff knew little more than how to push buttons - they too would have had to get some senior staff to drive in for anything more complicated.

49p use Cisco kit, which is regarded as a quality tier below the Juniper/Foundry stuff - probably not worth worrying about.

Gyron and 49p attract different customers. Because Gyron don't really promote themselves and because they charge a premium, they get the customers who are willing to pay a little more for a more. 49p compete heavily on price and bundled bandwidth - they attract customers who are looking for cheap headline prices, including kids with game servers etc. Guess which sort of customer attracts DDoS attacks to a network?

You cannot rely on any colo company to carry spares for your particular configuration. If you want a company to guarantee your hardware and replace faults for free, then rent a dedicated server from them rather than supplying your own.

If you colo then you should put your own spares in the racks or be able to get your own people on site with spares quickly. We deal with this by keeping the server configurations very similar and putting a complete spare in the rack. We can then just ask remote hands to swap the disks, which can be done in a couple of minutes without opening the case and requires no skill.

Outages - Gyron have had two minor ones this calendar year that our monitoring systems have picked up. One in february where a bug in a router software upgrade caused flakey networking for 20 minutes. The second in early summer when Redbus botched some power work and caused 3 very brief power outages over a few minutes (this may have affected 49p too). To the best of my knowledge, Gyron have done everything reasonably possible to eliminate a single point of failure.

I was shocked to read a thread on forum2.co.uk about an outage at 49p last week which appeared to take their whole network and telephones offline for some time. The cause was reported as a power outage in a single cabinet. But why do they have a single cabinet with so much important kit in it? One cabinet being taken out shouldn't bring down the whole network.

You can use www.traceroute.org to see the network routes to Gyron and 49p from various locations. When I've done this I've seen the routes being pretty much identical. 49p have occasionally been better. They both appear to have good connectivity.

My advice to you:

If you've got the money, go with Gyron.

If you're hosting something that cannot disappear for half a day or where you'll have customers shouting at you, go with Gyron. Their downtime is virtually negligible and you can show customers their website with pride not embarassment.

If not, go with 49p and save some money. They'll do you a rented server for less than the cost of renting a 1U slot with Gyron.

Horses for courses.

Hope that helps

Gary

Phurix - never heard of them. A traceroute to www.phurix.co.uk goes over Rapidswitch, which is 49p's other name. The IP address www.phurix.co.uk is on belongs to Rapidswitch. It looks like they have taken some rackspace with 49p and use 49p for all their networking.

The difference between them and Rapidswitch would be the support - you would have to call Phurix not Rapidswitch (unless Phurix are simply reselling 49p and taking a commission). I couldn't comment on their respective support abilities though personally would choose 49p out of the two.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind comments. I hopefully won't post anything that could be deemed as advertising, but I will add the following:

On the transit there is 100% SLA, not sure if thats the same on transit to colocated servers.

It is, yes. The 100% SLA covers power, cooling and connectivity. The same network/routing/etc is used for colo and dedicated server customers.

They do not have staff in the datacentre 24hrs but their staff live within 10 minutes or so of the place and have remote access to most stuff. Their 24hr support telephone number will hunt around their telephones until they answer.

This has actually changed recently. The number is answered pretty quickly on a 24/7 basis by a real person, there's no call hunting etc. We feel this is worth the extra investment.

We don't have our *own* staff on-site 24/7 as the very few out of hours callouts we receive do not make it worthwhile. Our 3 on-call engineers all live within 1 mile of the datacenters we're located in.

Hope that helps! :-)
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

Evening,

Two great replies there, that have helped alot. It's highly likely I'll go with Gyron, I'm just waiting for them to answer my e-mails/tickets *cough*hint*cough*

Lots of great replies, and many high opinions of Gyron, which leads me to beleive they're the best option for starting a company with.

I've decided on the following setup;

• Web Server; Dual Xeon 3.0, 2GB OF DDR2 SDRAM, 2x72GB SCSI drives
    • DB/Mail/DNS Server; Dual Xeon 3.0, 2GB OF DDR SDRAM, 2x72GB SCSI drives
    • Backup Server; AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB of DDR2 PC4200 RAM, 2x250GB SATA 300 HDDs
    I'll of course have a switch in there too, to create a LAN and therefore "free" internal traffic among the servers.

Comments?

Ask Gyron about the switch, as they might set you up a VLAN so you do not need your own switch, while still getting internal traffic not counted as part of your bandwidth.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.

That's exactly what they do