Website hosting question..

Hi all,

If I host the same site on 2 webhosts, what can I do so that if 1 webhost is down, the other webhost will serve the site?

will setting the name server do? i.e. add both webhosts' nameserver to my domain record. if in case one host goes down, the other webhost will take over?

dns1: webhost 1
    dns2: webhost 1
    dns3: webhost 2
    dns4: webhost 2

Yes, that would work, but if you change any data, you will have to so it on both servers. Also, how will you handle mail?
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

Wow, I did not know that.

Does this mean also that both sites are updated dynamically as well say you have a forum or something similar?
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

Nono, you would still need to update the sites content.
    I just meant that if one host goes down, just so long as you have the email addresses set up on the other server you would still be able to send and recieve, just not get to your old mail.

I see. I understand that logic but I am just thinking if this is really possible even for dynamic websites, then it would be a good backup service for a webmaster.

So this applies more on static websites, right?
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

Unless you want to make all your changes/updates twice.
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

Quote Originally Posted by rm-rf
    Hi all,

If I host the same site on 2 webhosts, what can I do so that if 1 webhost is down, the other webhost will serve the site?

will setting the name server do? i.e. add both webhosts' nameserver to my domain record. if in case one host goes down, the other webhost will take over?

If I read what you're proposing right, that will result in people going (in a more or less random fashion) to webhost1 or webhost2, even in case of downtime.

You're setting up a round robin system.

Hi all,

While the above method may or may not work adequately, keep in mind there are several flaws in doing the above method:

1) As ldcdc stated you're doing a round robin - eg should you have dynamic content with the backend not replicated between servers you're going to have users scratching their heads quite often with the where did my post just go (ie, forum) or how come im not logged in I was a minute ago (basically any cms/portal/forum you might be storing cookies server side or in non-replicated db for that matter)

2) Also with having both webhosts dns's in the domain settings at your registrar people will get timeouts if one host goes down (eg you're looking at some major issues as you have 2 ns's on each so at times your site may not be viewable regardless)

3) The dns records between ns's won't be replicated (unless you're able to set this up) thus non-rfc (against common standards, while this may or may not matter to you)

--------

My suggestion would be to go to an outside host and request dns only hosting with the domain ns's spread over multiple servers. Thus being a truely redundant setup for the most part.

In addition you would want to set your IP's to a slightly lower than normal TTL (this way should one host go down on you your update on the A record would propogate quicker). Also remember to setup the MX's to priority levels so mail will go to the secondary should the first go down or be un-reachable. Just keep in mind should a remote host be unable to connect to your main MX you may end up getting mail to the second host (eg just check them both for important email accounts).

Entry level redundancy I think the above method would work fine for you. Obviously there may be flaws but again this suggestion should help for basic redundancy.
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Yes, that should work. The only problem is you have to make updates twice to both accounts.
    EHOSTONE INC
    Ultimate Hosting Solution!
    http://reseller.ehostone.net

Redundancy isn't cheap and people have mention the issues you would have with this method. What are you actually hosting on the site as it might be better to setup a simple website somewhere else that gives system status if you are running a company website. However if you are looking to host something like a blog then you might be better off spending money on a hosting company that will work hard to make sure its servers stay up and running.

A company normally shows its true colours when dealing with downtime rather than when they are up and running ok, which most companies do most of the time

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Yup I agree with what everyone else has said, but that fact of the matter is if the site is not dynamic and constantly changing then there should be no problems and if your site has a lot of regualr users this might even help with load balancing between sites.
    However it was said that visiters would even go to the site that is down with this setup.. I dont think that would be the case, the thing with dns is that the isp first checks the first named servers as this is the sites main IP address, and if it fails on this one it then moves to the next and so and so on.

I really cant see the problem with this so long as your dns servers are fast propogating and you keep both sites updated.

Good luck with whatever you choose