Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Changing Reseller company

I do web design for a living and bought a reseller package to host my customers sites on.
    Unfortunately, after about 6 months the downtime became pretty bad but by this time I already had many customers on it so I got a 2nd reseller account with another company - which has turned out to be equally bad.

The first account is the one that most of my customers are on and in recent months the down time has deteriorated even further and is now completely unbearable.

I desperately want to move to another company for my hosting but am put off by the thought of having to move all of my sites.

Does anyone know of either an easy way of doing it or a company that offers this service?

Also, any recommended hosting companies would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

If you are moving to the same control panel with your new provider, the move should be pretty painless. Many hosts will move your accounts for you at no charge or at a small fee, it's just a matter of asking!
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

I agree, the transfer is extremely easy if you're using Cpanel hosting.
    Contact the host to see if they offer free transfer service.
    I think most are willing to transfer your sites
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

Do they both use Cpanel?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

And if you don't have cpanel, many companies can still perform a move with jailed ssh (rsync, mysqldump etc.,)

A great copmany is ResellerZoom - just say away from the budget plans. I have heard good things about HostTitan and HostGator as well.

"I do web design for a living and bought a reseller package to host my customers sites on.
    Unfortunately, after about 6 months the downtime became pretty bad but by this time I already had many customers on it so I got a 2nd reseller account with another company - which has turned out to be equally bad. "

Will you dont mind to PM me your old company, i dont want to ended up like you..

Quote Originally Posted by deepak99
    "I do web design for a living and bought a reseller package to host my customers sites on.
    Unfortunately, after about 6 months the downtime became pretty bad but by this time I already had many customers on it so I got a 2nd reseller account with another company - which has turned out to be equally bad. "

Will you dont mind to PM me your old company, i dont want to ended up like you..

or share it on the forum that way others wont make the same mistake.
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

i agree cpanel 2 cpanel transfer is really easy and many hosts do that for free.
    Cloud Hosting
    ~ Shared Cpanel Hosting, Cpanel Reseller, Business Cloud Hosting, SSD Cpanel Reseller Hosting ~

yes, please share.
    I've had various experiences recently.
    stay away from 100megswebhosting, themooseisloose

I, too am looking for a couple of suggestions for reseller hosting companies. I am reading through this and other forums and I'm not seeing too many suggestions.

Basically, my specifications are:
    * Decent support (reply to my support requests online within an hour or two for urgent requests, phone support would be nice)
    * Unlimited domains (although I'm probably going to only host about 30 domains at first)
    * Good uptime (no more than 24 hours downtime in a year, or 4 each month -- is that too much to ask for???)
    * cpanel would be nice, but not necessary
    * good price - I'd like to keep less than $10/month

My current sites are very low bandwidth, with 0-2 mysql DBs running on them. Maybe 500 visits a month per domain on average...

Tip to you guys, mainly Websteria as he confessed to this...

* good price - I'd like to keep less than $10/month
    This clearly states you WILL have a bad experience, lets pretend its you who's the host and you rent a good dedicated server costing $499 month. You sell your reseller plans at $9.99 so people come and signup as its cheap. 50 resellers signup in 3 months, they all host 50 websites (average) each, and rapidly growing

1 - 50 resellers with 50 sites each = 2500 domains - clearly overloading
    2 - the host can not add another server as there loosing money there only making $499.50 that is just paying for the server with no profits.

The server will then have issues with speed as CPU & Memory usage will be high if these sites are popular.

Eventually you will find the host just disappear in to thin air.

so my point is, if you find a decent reseller hosting package around $20-30 the host wont have to overload their servers, giving you the reseller a good quality service, for a little bit more money a month you can offer your clients a good web hosting experience.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

I thought the part of the 'game' is to offer the packages and bank on the fact that most customers won't use that many domains. So you offer unlimited or even 50 domains and in actuality they bring 10 or 20... so you could have 200 resellers with 10 domains each... 2000 domains. So it's a matter of resource allocation/distribution...

And what if you have 2000 domains, but 90% of them are just serving up static HTML? the hit to Apache is negligible, isn't it?

Thirdly, I've seen dedicated servers in the $100-350 range. I haven't seen any in the $500 range. But then again, I'm still new...

Quote Originally Posted by Websteria
    I thought the part of the 'game' is to offer the packages and bank on the fact that most customers won't use that many domains. So you offer unlimited or even 50 domains and in actuality they bring 10 or 20... so you could have 200 resellers with 10 domains each... 2000 domains. So it's a matter of resource allocation/distribution...

And what if you have 2000 domains, but 90% of them are just serving up static HTML? the hit to Apache is negligible, isn't it?

Thirdly, I've seen dedicated servers in the $100-350 range. I haven't seen any in the $500 range. But then again, I'm still new...
    Yep u can get servers for $100-$350 but if you want a good server addons such as

Additional hard disks
    Raid setups
    Secure Backups (hacker proof)
    Firewalls

etc...

They can go allot higher.
    Last edited by TheHostingHeroes; 10-07-2006 at 09:52 AM.
    www.thehostingheroes.com

I agree a lot of companies do offer transfer plans that are normally free (I do it for free with my company). It normally just depends on the control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHostPro
    Yep u can get servers for $100-$350 but if you want a good server addons such as
    They can go allot higher.
    I hear ya and I don't mean to downplay the fact that it may not be as profitable for most hosting companies. I just have some modest needs and a budget and am shopping around for the best fit. For what I need now for these *extremely low* bandwidth sites, I need something to get me started and I'm not ready to drop more $$ per month. THAT BEING SAID, I don't mind upgrading to a higher plan, as I need to. (more space, more bandwidth, more services, faster response time?, less congested server)

Actually, my plan is to find a good reseller hosting plan right now for my 25-30 sites, and as they start taking off, pull them off/transfer them to a different server/plan.

So, does anyone know of a good host that would fit my criteria? (decent support, good, inexpensive hosting provider for about 30 domains for less than $10/month?) with the *real* potential that they'll be able to upsell some of these domains or the entire reseller account in the near future?

There are so many resellers and so many hosting companies. I would suggest testing their support systems by firing off some emails with general inquiries. This will atleast give you an idea of how you might be treated as a client.

Also, in concurrence with the others, cPanel to cPanel transferes are simple and take mere minutes.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

cpanel to cpanel transfers are definitely simple however they are far from painless. Many hosts will offer this service but you have to double check all work that is done as cpanel transfers often miss addon or parked domains, etc... this doesn't seem like a big deal but when you are transfering a couple hundred accounts it's very time consuming to say the least.

I recently did a couple hundred account transfers, transferred from a small company I acquired and the double checking took far longer than the cpanel transfers did.
    Ryan Porter, Owner
    Extreme Internet Solutions
    Quality Hosting Solutions -- Affordable Prices
    Providing Fabulous Hosting and Unreal Web Design! Excellence is our focus.

I'm a little web design co. out of Zimbabwe, and I'm in the same situation as Websteria; Although my current hosting provider is netcetera (based on the Isle of Man in the UK). Anyway, I'm after recommendations - most of what I see in this thread is just claims that cpanel transfers are easy, which was only part of revellution's initial q. Pleasepost some recommendations if you have them.

Thanks.

Hi

I very much doubt you will find a good provider for 30 domains at under $10 month.
    www.thehostingheroes.com

Price not really an issue (within reason!)

Thanks for that - Yup, I think that $10 is very low - but then I haven't looked at the US market much... I'm looking for a good provider. Probably looking at iro $50-$100pm. Any thoughts?

try looking around $20-$30
    www.thehostingheroes.com

nice touch...

I like your style...

I've found a TON of providers for around $25...

I was just looking for someone that I can drop 30 sites on with very very low bandwidth requirements and then as I develop these sites, I upgrade or purchase another reseller account with bigger, better services.

I still contend that it would be a great opportunity for a hosting provider, if there isn't already someone out there providing it.

and before people jump all over me again... I am not asking for an 'unlimited' plan, but maybe a super-scaled back plan. (up to 25 hosts, 1gb space, 2gb traffic, something like that?) The host would have to oversell to maximize revenue/space, but move the reseller accounts if space becomes a problem.

Does anyone think that would be something a host might offer (in hopes of upsell opportunity and cross-sell opps.) ?

$10 per month...would this happen to be dedihostplus?

Quote Originally Posted by Websteria
    I've found a TON of providers for around $25...
    and before people jump all over me again... I am not asking for an 'unlimited' plan, but maybe a super-scaled back plan. (up to 25 hosts, 1gb space, 2gb traffic, something like that?) The host would have to oversell to maximize revenue/space, but move the reseller accounts if space becomes a problem.

Does anyone think that would be something a host might offer (in hopes of upsell opportunity and cross-sell opps.) ?
    You could try budgetreseller.com
    Country-Tyme Web Hosting - Reliable shared and reseller hosting
    *Affordable hosting solutions with cPanel / WHM / RVskins
    *30 Day money back guarantee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast