Clustered Cpanel hosts?

Hello

do you know of any reseller provider that has Cpanel/WHM in a clustered enviroment?

- dns1 & dns2 should be separated (hosted on different machines - this is done easily within whm)
    - mail server should also be separated (this is probably difficult)

Any ideas?
    Managed.gr cloud hosting, paas, vps, dedicated, domain registration on global datacenters.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyFF
    Hello

do you know of any reseller provider that has Cpanel/WHM in a clustered enviroment?

- dns1 & dns2 should be separated (hosted on different machines - this is done easily within whm)
    - mail server should also be separated (this is probably difficult)

Any ideas?
    Hmm I'm not aware of any, are you wanting to make your email go to a backup server if the first is down?
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

cPanel doesn't really support clustering. It will only support MySQL on a different server.

Quote Originally Posted by bwb
    Hmm I'm not aware of any, are you wanting to make your email go to a backup server if the first is down?
    Yes, I have already setup backup mx entries and I also need redundant dns when the mailboxes are located in 3rd party providers.

Quote Originally Posted by WK-Anthony
    cPanel doesn't really support clustering. It will only support MySQL on a different server.
    Did not know about MySQL, that is very good as it would improve the performance.
    WHM can easily cluster DNS - that way one of my hosts has setup dns - dns1 is located in US and dns2 in NL for redundancy.

I am pretty sure there must be some hosts that have setup a more redundant cpanel environment - but who are these hosts
    Managed.gr cloud hosting, paas, vps, dedicated, domain registration on global datacenters.

site5.com is clustered I think, but it is a modified cPanel environnement.

Quote Originally Posted by Renard Fin
    site5.com is clustered I think, but it is a modified cPanel environnement.
    I don't think so, Site5 just uses a CPanel skin claiming it to be their own control panel

I would definately not use site5 after the terrible service I read in WHT lately!

For my personnal website I am with Site5 and never had any problem, with the support or the servers themselves. Only that Trac is impossible to install

Quote Originally Posted by WK-Anthony

Actually, no, it is possible: we actually have 3 separate, clustered DNS servers/nameservers on 3 different locations -- using cPanel. But, you are right in the sense that what cPanel defines as a "Clustering" option in WHM is not actually the clustering we're talking about; instead, we used the true meaning of the word, which requires a custom method.

Although can be extremely tricky, expensive and requires expertise from a server administrator, it can be done, and so far we've been reaping the benefits: namely easier DNS control, other servers not affected during downtime, better response times, etc. Our system has been used for over 6 months connecting half-a-dozen servers, hence it has been working relatively well; albeit with a few glitches, which cPanel's Support staff managed to fix for us.

As for mail servers, I am not aware that they can be clustered on cPanel as the DNS servers, as mentioned above. I think Hsphere has built-in clustering (in the true sense) though, so that should be able to provide the option more easily

Good luck!
    •• polur.net | Premium web hosting solutions you can trust since 2004••
    High performance NVMe SSD, CloudLinux & LiteSpeed hosting with Canadian datacentres

Any other company's providing clustering?

TWG

Although can be extremely tricky, expensive and requires expertise from a server administrator, it can be done, and so far we've been reaping the benefits: namely easier DNS control, other servers not affected during downtime, better response times, etc. Our system has been used for over 6 months connecting half-a-dozen servers, hence it has been working relatively well; albeit with a few glitches, which cPanel's Support staff managed to fix for us.
    Great to hear you have gone down this path.. There are too many benefits of clustering to even begin listing - but, I am somewhat confused - why spend all that time, money, effort and headaches of dealing with glitches - when solutions exist that will accomodate this - for example

I think Hsphere has built-in clustering (in the true sense) though, so that should be able to provide the option more easily
    Just curious why you chose to try and customize a solution to accomplish what several out of the box solutions can handle seamlessly

Many of them - but, if you want clustering, look for solutions that can accomodate it.

For Linux and Windows - look at plesk and hsphere providers

For Windows only - look at Helm providers
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

He didn't ask for hsphere or plesk he asked if anyone knew of a cpanel clustered host.

Can it be done? Yes it can and not as hard as people make it out to be either.
    I can't say much more past this point but someday soon maybe some one will announce a fully clustered cpanel offering that people can buy.

He didn't ask for hsphere or plesk he asked if anyone knew of a cpanel clustered host.
    Well, he originally asked for that... but,

Seemed a little more generic towards clustering vs cpanel clustering

I can't say much more past this point but someday soon maybe some one will announce a fully clustered cpanel offering that people can buy.
    First to market would be great for you guys - already a good company, so, something like this would certainly make an impact for you - I am certain it will go as smoothly as you anticipate -

however, the question still must be asked - why a square peg in a round hole? you want clustering? why not try a solution that accomodates it - many of them available - and since this doesnt seem to currently exist with cpanel, not much wrong with offering suggestions for solutions which do offer it...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

cPanel is already full of bugs, security vulnerabilities, and inefficient code. It is only going to get worse once clustered.

I agree with you CartikaHosting that if someone should invest on a cluster setup then he/she should go with the panels that natively support clustering.

But, Cpanel is the most popular control panel and has the most features for the end-user - the market exists, so if Cpanel would exist in a clustered enviroment then all clients would be more than happy in terms of uptime and reliability.

HostingZoom introduced recentrly the Cpanel failover hosting with load balancers and redundant dns (for shared customers only). I would love to see more and more companies offering that (there is also HostTitan but no experience yet).

I am looking for this day !

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    Great to hear you have gone down this path.. There are too many benefits of clustering to even begin listing - but, I am somewhat confused - why spend all that time, money, effort and headaches of dealing with glitches - when solutions exist that will accomodate this - for example
    Great question Actually, I think I can answer that somewhat easily: we initially started of course with the normal setup for Cpanel/WHM servers for years, but only recently did we go down the clustering path due to the growing amount of servers. Indeed, as we speak, we're also working on the private network setup to eventually have all our "core network" boxes in one place. So, it appears there are always methods to improve!

Just curious why you chose to try and customize a solution to accomplish what several out of the box solutions can handle seamlessly
    Since we already started with cpanel/whm, and personally clients and some non-technical staff members prefer the interface compared to hsphere, switching is not an immediate option with a consensus. Nevertheless, in near future, when opening a new reseller-based subdivision, we're planning to use mainly Hsphere servers. But any number of features can be lacking in one control panel to the next, so perhaps developing a custom control panel would be best?

I am not familiar with others having the same "clustering" setup, but I think HZ's format is a bit different in certain technical aspects, since they deal with secondary hard drives taking over after a failure, not necessarily completely DNS-based, etc. Although, the benefits are similar, and hopefully someday cPanel will introduce a more manageable way in dealing with the now-complicated procedure...
    Last edited by PolurNET; 10-13-2006 at 07:36 AM.
    •• polur.net | Premium web hosting solutions you can trust since 2004••
    High performance NVMe SSD, CloudLinux & LiteSpeed hosting with Canadian datacentres

But, Cpanel is the most popular control panel and has the most features for the end-user
    Hi Tony, you can make an argument for most popular - especially around these parts - however, the most features for the end user part is a misconception at best. I can assure you that many control panels have more features available for the end user vs cpanel. The only thing cpanel has going for it is that people are accustomed to it. Not to diminish that point, as it is an important one - however, just because people are familiar with it, does not mean it inherently possesses more features

HostingZoom introduced recentrly the Cpanel failover hosting with load balancers and redundant dns (for shared customers only). I would love to see more and more companies offering that
    I think you will see alot more companies employ not only clustering, but, high availability clustering (and true high availablility clustering) as well in the not too distant future

http://www.psoft.net/HSdocumentation...linux_nfs.html

This is an example of whats coming and is much more cost effective then the current NetApp HA solution which needs to be utilized with hsphere, meaning that it is becoming economically viable, even in the shared hosting space - to implement true HA situations.
    www.cartika.com

I really hope more and more companies choose this route - in the end, when you have a highly available clustered setup the real winner is the company itself as it won't suffer from frustrated clients changing hosts.

Most companies provide such systems for shared hosting but not for resellers.

I plan to make a thread in order to list some clustered and/or failover reseller hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyFF
    I plan to make a thread in order to list some clustered and/or failover reseller hosts.
    I would like to see that list!
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company