Is php5 safe without php4?

Read the topic, yes or no?

Thanks

What do you mean?

Ofcourse it is, why wouldn't it be?

-Scott
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

Unsafe in what way? For security?

On a shared server?

Offering PHP 5 to customers but not PHP 4?

Can you give more details?

What makes PHP 5 unsafe (compared to PHP 4)?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Sorry I thought you already know.

Q: Offering PHP 5 to customers but not PHP 4?
    A: That's right

PHP5's unsafe without php4:
    Break cPanel
    Many php scripts are not working

I just want to know before I upgrade php4 to php5 instead having both php4/5 on the same server with file extension .php5

Php5 does not break cpanel, I do not get where you would think that. The php version plays no part in cpanel. Cpanel runs its own internal version of php regardless of what version you install for apache.

Many scripts breaking? Ok, maybe. It depends on what modules they need, if its something like xslt yes it will break since they moved to xsl, or if it needs domxml it has been recoded in the new "dom" module that is hardcoded into php5 and enabled by default. But in all reality, after installing it on many servers there has been few scripts that broke.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

PHP5 should be standard by now, with php6 coming the corner.

PHP4 is old now and should be dumped.

PHP5 does NOT break scripts, poorly coded scripts break themself.

-Scott
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules

ok thank you, I'll upgrade to php5

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Mc

PHP5 does NOT break scripts, poorly coded scripts break themself.

-Scott

not 100% true, would you call a script coded for php4 a poorly coded script? php5 changed some function names etc, which in turn break scripts.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    not 100% true, would you call a script coded for php4 a poorly coded script? php5 changed some function names etc, which in turn break scripts.
    PHP5 has been around long enough that all scripts should be compatiable with it, especially since in php6 their are going to force developers into coding properly instead of the usual, "it should be done this way, but this will work too" messages. Which is great, it's about time they dumped magic_quotes/register_globals especially not to mention that PHP5 has far greater OOP support than php4.

So yes scripts are poorly coded if they do not work with the language standard especially since php4 will be dead just like php3 within a year.

So if I upgrade to ver. 5,
    cPanel - ok
    fantastico - ?

How about if we install both ver. Can we configure a specific user will use php5 and others still use php4.

Cpanel and fantastico are both fine with php5.
    Is php5 safe without php4? Definitely. I've been running php5 for close to 2 years now, haven't had any issues, except with a single piece of software (ubersmith).

Of course, I only host my own sites and those of a few friends, but that's it.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details