Question Preventing site monitor from being flagged as DDoS

I am using apicalsoft.com radar website monitor on a resller hosting account. I have it set to connect to each of my websites every five minutes and use a ten second timeout. If any two consecutive attempts fail to connect to my website, I am emailed an alert.

I just recently switched web hosts (the first was having constant outages). The new host is showing outages as well, but many are socket error #10054 connection reset by peer or 10015 not connected. I contacted the support department as was told it could be the monitoris flagged as a DDos attempt and blocked by their servers. I have not had this happen at any other of my hosting companies. The connection errors also stopped from 8pm last night until this morning, even withthe monitor running overnight. This leads me to believe it is highly unlikely the monitor was seen as a DDoS, or I'd assue it would have been blocked all the time, or overnight, not just for a few hours.

I would like to know the following:

1. Is it reasonable for me to monitor only one of my websites at the host? (Assuming all are on the same server) At other hosts I have had varying sites go down, shile others stayed up , even though being on the same serevr. The support department insist it is redundant for me to monior individual websites, is this true?

2. Can anyone think of a workaround that would help me monitor my websites, but not have the monitor flagged as a DDoS attack?

3. Is it possible for the monitor (running with the same delays and timeouts 24 hours a day) could be blocked as a DDoS , but only at random times (say in the morning, but not at night)?

4. Any other suggestions you deem helpful.

Thanks for your assistance. I appreciate any prompt replies as I must determine whether to stay with this host, although they are well rated I'm not buying their objections to my monitoring , just yet.

I have it set to connect to each of my websites every five minutes
    In terms of websites 5 mins is a long time. Anything that is blocked because of that is a poorly setup security system by your host.
    What would happen if I wanted to look at all your websites spending 1 minute on each. Blocking me would be losing a potential customer.

DDos security should only kick in when 1 IP is accessing a website many times within 1 second not 5 minutes.
    Centation Web Services
    Bristol based web design
    Offering website design, SEO, website hosting, website development and domain registration.

Please clarify your reply

Wpuld that still be accurate for checking across all my sites, lets say 20 websites eacha re being checked every 5 minutes. So I suppose on their end, they are seeing 20 "hits" to my websites all at once every 5 minutes.

I could also stagger their times (have some run every 3,4,5,6, and 7 minutes) to break up the amount of monitor threads hgitting the websites. Would this be any better or needed?

Hi,

Well it should solve your problems if you stagger your timings as i assume, for example the two websites are being hit at the same second from the same IP.
    Centation Web Services
    Bristol based web design
    Offering website design, SEO, website hosting, website development and domain registration.