Question Hosting Name Question--Input Requested

I have been preparing to start a new Web hosting business in the not-so-terribly-distant future, but I'm having trouble settling on a name. As you probably know, everything is already taken! Even some that I thought were pretty creative....

Anyway, I had actually decided on a name, the domain is available, and I don't see any other current companies with names too similar to this one. However, there was once a company that went by this name. From the looks of things, they came into existence nearly 18 monthls ago, and then promptly vanished from existence maybe only a month after that. Should I stay away from the name?

I'm pretty sure it is no longer an active business, but I am concerned about any potential mix-ups between my reputation and theirs. Googling the domain name only turns up results from a couple of forums--one of which is WHT--and a few strange index and DNS listing sites of some sort. The forum posts are mostly ads that the owner posted with his plan offerings. What do you think?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kopptech; 10-04-2006 at 02:07 AM.
    I'll have a link here someday.
    Maybe a catchy slogan, too!

If there's little to none bad history I wouldn't worry about it infact it could bring some traffic to it

yeah. if it's available, and you like it, grab it.

minimal google results are good, in this case.

No wait first go to

www.archive.org

look the domain up then decide!

I would make sure that the domain name has not been blacklisted for spam (email or search engine variety), as well. When I was still with my hosting company last December, we spun off our low-cost hosting division with a new name - however, the name we picked had previously been registered as a domain, and was blacklisted from Google for search engine spamming. Only just recently (July) were we finally able to get the domain name back into Google.

Just something you may wish to consider...
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Thanks everyone for your input!

And thanks Dluzion, for the archive.org link--a very nifty tool!

GlobalWebDan, that's a good point. Does anyone know a good way to check into whether or not it is blacklisted anywhere? Results for the domain do show up in Google searches, so that might mean it's okay as far as Google goes....

So, one more thing I should mention about this particular domain name--the ex-owner already created an account by that name here and in other hosting-related forums. I don't think he's posted in a year or so, but presumably the name is still taken. It miight be confusing if he came back later and started posting here under my company name! Does anybody know if there is a way to get an inactive account canceled to minimize the chance of this occurring?

Thanks!

that sounds unlikely.

btw, did you register the name?

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt
    that sounds unlikely.

btw, did you register the name?
    What sounds unlikely--that the person would ever return to the forum?

No, I did not yet register the name. That's something I am hoping to do before the weekend is up, though--pick a name and get things rollling!

Quote Originally Posted by kopptech
    Thanks everyone for your input!

And thanks Dluzion, for the archive.org link--a very nifty tool!

GlobalWebDan, that's a good point. Does anyone know a good way to check into whether or not it is blacklisted anywhere? Results for the domain do show up in Google searches, so that might mean it's okay as far as Google goes....

So, one more thing I should mention about this particular domain name--the ex-owner already created an account by that name here and in other hosting-related forums. I don't think he's posted in a year or so, but presumably the name is still taken. It miight be confusing if he came back later and started posting here under my company name! Does anybody know if there is a way to get an inactive account canceled to minimize the chance of this occurring?

Thanks!
    If the domain is appearing in Google results, than it is not blacklisted there. http://www.emailtools.co.uk/tools/blacklistcheck.htm will help you see if the domain is blacklisted for email purposes.

As for the forum name, you can contact the moderators/admins at each forum and see if they'll let you have the username.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com