Yet Another "What Host Should I Choose" Thread.

Hey guys,

I have doing research for a new web host, and I'd like some reccomendations. As of right now I'm using the most basic plan over at GoDaddy.com. Contrary to popular belief, they are reasonable hosts, and I would stay with them if if weren't for the fact that the shared servers seem like they have training wheels on them.

Right now the hosts/plans that to appeal to me are:
    • 1&1, business level hosting
    • Media Temple, Professional Level hosting
    • NearlyFreeSpeech.NET, Their Strange Pas-As-You-Go hosting
    The reason I want to switch from GoDaddy is that they did not offer SSH/Telnet to their shared hosting accounts. Unfortunatly for me, I need this for setting up a Ventrilo server.

I would like a plan that has LAMP, CGI, SSH, and is able to host five or more domains. Please don't suggest Dreamhost, I had a less than positive experience with them.

If you could give me advice on my current choices, or suggest a new one, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
    Brian

Do you know aprox. how much space and banwdith would you need?
    Any preference on Control Panels?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Well, I'm fairly sure that my website(s) will not have many visitors; but I don't know how much bandwidth (if any) an IRC bot will use. I'm betting, though, that I won't need much bandwidth.

As for space, I don't see a need for more than 5-10 gigs; I don't need to store much.

you could try hostforweb.com
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!

Right now I'm leaning towards 1&1's business plan. Is that a good host?

I suggest to do an extensive research about 1&1. I never used it, therefore I can't give you a personal review about them, but for what I read here and in other forums, you would love to research about them before signup.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

1&1 has good uptime and high speeds. My site was very speedy and I didnt have any uptime issues (keep in mind i just check the site occasionly, unlike some people here when their site goes down for 5 minutes and have a hysteria attack)

I've never used their support however but i understand its complete crap.

Also the control panel has to be among the worst i've ever used... its awful.

Also i could not figure out how to get the domain to point to anything but their host....

So it really depends what you need, you get good perfomance what you pay for, but lose some control, and its a pain to quite. Make sure you dont register your domain through them

1&1 may keep you up, but their sales/support is not very good. That is in my experience.

So far in my research, I have confirmed what I have read here; that they offer reliable uptime and speeds, but less than satisfactory customer service .

Do you think that customer service is something that I should sacrifice for uptime and speed? I don't intend on needing help very often.

Also, Hard Rock said that the panel leaves a lot to dedesired. What makes it so bad?

Are you going to use all that much space and bandwidth? if not, then why are you thinking in sacrifice services in expenses of something that you're not going to use?.
    Also, I think that customer services is crucial at any industry, not only on web hosting.

I need SSH/telnet access, and thats the most basic plan offered by 1&1 that includes that.

Just hope you have no problems in the meantime.
    Web Host Magazine & Buyers Guide
    Web Host Magazine & Buyer's Guide
    Fair & Objective Reviews, Ratings & Information
    since 1997

So, what about NearlyFreeSpeech.NET?

They have a dirt cheap price with SSH/telnet access. The thing that makes me cautios about them is that it seems too good to be true. That, and along with the uncommonly barebones look of thier website really turned me off.

I'd like to know if NFSN really are as good as they are; has anyone ever had them as a host?