Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Dreamhost doubles bandwidth again!

Hai2u
      0 Not allowed!

Well, at least they don't oversell!
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!
      0 Not allowed!

200 gigs of storage and 2 TB of transfer for $7.95 a month is insane.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, at least they don't oversell!
    We can say many things about them, but not that they're hiding this info: http://blog.dreamhost.com/2006/05/18...t-overselling/

Personally, the bit that I don't like regarding their coupon/special offer for 03 October, is this one:

No referral credit will be provided to referers of customers who sign up for this promotional sale.
    I'm not saying they should pay full commissions, but this approach just doesn't seem entirely fair.
      0 Not allowed!

so the double deal is only for today?
    Hai2u
      0 Not allowed!

Its threads like these that encourage them to raise the limits even higher. Look at the free advertising they are getting.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
      0 Not allowed!

Just go unlimited everything and be done with it.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hai2u
    Sounds like commercial suicide to me.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!
      0 Not allowed!

is dreamhost good?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRock
    is dreamhost good?
    Is the pope Jewish?
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!
      0 Not allowed!

DreamHost offers so much that I can understand smallre hosts feel bad about them.

But DreamHost has still weak areas.

1. They don't offer free shared SSL.
    2. Their web servers aren't clusterd and go down easier with
    disk crash, bad memory/mb, or massive access/attacks.

Also, if they want to attract more newbies, they should introduce simplified version
    of control panel (similar to Servage level. not much freatures, but simply and easy).

I'm pretty happy with them, though.
    It only costs $20 something for the 1st year to have that much of bandwidth and rich features.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    2. Their web servers aren't clusterd and go down easier with
    disk crash, bad memory/mb, or massive access/attacks.
    At the prices that they charge - I'm surprised they could even afford to keep adding servers to their existing cluster (a fully redundant web service cluster would cost a pretty penny).
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    I'm not saying they should pay full commissions, but this approach just doesn't seem entirely fair.
    Unless I misunderstood, it's fair because the 9999 code is DH's doing, so I don't see why existing customers should get any credit.

If it said "referrals of customers" instead of "referrers of customers" then it would be unfair.
      0 Not allowed!

Dreamhost is great, there's only one thing that has changed to the worse with them and this is the customer support and the speed of this.
      0 Not allowed!

How's their bandwidth wise? dedicated speed? burstable to? prolly for downloads and stuff.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    At the prices that they charge - I'm surprised they could even afford to keep adding servers to their existing cluster (a fully redundant web service cluster would cost a pretty penny).
    PowWeb used to have fairly good clustered setup with pretty cheap price.
    Servage's cluster works, too.
    Even ****** has clustered setup. I don't know if it works well or not, though.

I think DH can setup something similar without spending lots of money for
    costly router and firewalls, IF they setup many small clusters of 2 to 4 machines
    with router/firewall constructed with Debian machine they know well.

This way, they can avoid expensive Cisco box/problems we've seen.
    I'd prefer to see thme avoiding NetApp filers, as well.
    Last edited by extras; 10-03-2006 at 10:22 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

1 tb or 2, ... or 3 ..It does not matter..... Its equal to the old Unlimited traffic thing.

The good thing I see the bandwidth war is near the end ...so what hosts will do next?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik
    Dreamhost is great, there's only one thing that has changed to the worse with them and this is the customer support and the speed of this.
    I like a host that doesn't offer quick support.

Whey they do, they attract bunch of clueless/abusive users and go down
    like the host who used to give 15 minutes guranteed response.

And when I submitted tickets, I got response within a few hours,
    which is acceptable for me.
      0 Not allowed!

How's their bandwidth wise? dedicated speed? burstable to? prolly for downloads and stuff.
    any WHT-er knows?
      0 Not allowed!

Their bandwidth can be a bit wobbly, for understandable reasons.

But let's be realistic here:
    If you want 10 Mbit per file, you shouldn't go with any shared hosting alternative - at all.

For the price it is a great service.

I am somewhat of a "power user", but I don't "over-use" my allocated storagespace or bandwidth even if I am able to do so. Neither do I use CPU-intensive applications for the reason that if I do, my account might be in jeopoardy
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Techark
    200 gigs of storage and 2 TB of transfer for $7.95 a month is insane.

Note that is when it's pre-paid 2 years in advance.

Looks like a massive cash grab to me....
      0 Not allowed!

Are you asking "exact" numbers here btw?
      0 Not allowed!

so the double deal is only for today?
    As far as I understand it, only the $99.99 off deal is for one day only. The rest seems to be their new regular offer.

Unless I misunderstood, it's fair because the 9999 code is DH's doing, so I don't see why existing customers should get any credit.

If it said "referrals of customers" instead of "referrers of customers" then it would be unfair.
    I was talking about their referral/affiliate program. Affiliates will not get commissions for people using the special coupon code today. In effect, this pretty much means "no affiliate commissions" for a day.

Just go unlimited everything and be done with it.
    This marketing scheme probably works too well to kill it by doing that.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix
    Note that is when it's pre-paid 2 years in advance.

Looks like a massive cash grab to me....
    I hope it isn't the case (I don't think it is actually)

But it isn't the first time this has happened. Look at "United Mail Systems" and the other ISP this guy ran.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    PowWeb used to have fairly good clustered setup with pretty cheap price.
    Servage's cluster works, too.
    Even ****** has clustered setup. I don't know if it works well or not, though.
    Yes, what your talking about is a service-based cluster, which is not redundant. I think what that specific poster was talking about was a fully mirrored solution (one where if box A goes down for whatever reason, the sites are all still up on server B).

From what I remember of my DreamHost days (less than a month), they already have an advanced cluster in place using fileservers (network-based disks) and seperate MySQL servers. I think whether a company has a cluster or not is irrelevant (although it helps), it's how they manage (or don't) manage it. Just my $0.02.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast