MySQL remote access

Hello,

I need the command(s) to enable MySQL remote access for root for ALL tables.

Also for some reason I can't find my.cnf:

find: my.cnf: No such file or directory

Thanks,

Tom

I posted it a few posts below

GRANT ALL ON * TO 'root'@'your_host' IDENTIFIED BY 'your_password';
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

By default my.cnf doesn't exist. you can create it by yourself and place into your user folder on your server. (in your case it the the root folder /root )

Quote Originally Posted by ngsupb
    I posted it a few posts below

GRANT ALL ON * TO 'root'@'your_host' IDENTIFIED BY 'your_password';
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

By default my.cnf doesn't exist. you can create it by yourself and place into your user folder on your server. (in your case it the the root folder /root )
    Thanks alot I guess you replace your_host with my servers IP?

After running the commands following the idea of replacing you_host with my IP, I still cannot connect remotly. The server is a dedicated MySQL box so I need to be able to remotly connect to it! I am trying to use Navicat to manage the MySQL database server but I keep getting:

1130 - Host '******.ipt.aol.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server
    Last edited by Tomdarkness; 10-04-2006 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdarkness
    Thanks alot I guess you replace your_host with my servers IP?

After running the commands following the idea of replacing you_host with my IP, I still cannot connect remotly. The server is a dedicated MySQL box so I need to be able to remotly connect to it! I am trying to use Navicat to manage the MySQL database server but I keep getting:

1130 - Host '******.ipt.aol.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server
    Also my windows webserver cannot connect to the MySQL server as well. Also its not practical for me to allow access by saying what IPs are going to access it since my computer that runs Navicat is on AOL and they use dynamic IPs and I am not a great fan of having to put that kind of software on my production webserver.

your_host should be the host you're trying to connect from, ie. ******.ipt.aol.com (or that IP).

You might also want to look into tunnelling your mysql connection through ssh.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic
    your_host should be the host you're trying to connect from, ie. ******.ipt.aol.com (or that IP).

You might also want to look into tunnelling your mysql connection through ssh.
    Thanks I tunned the connection using Navicat through SSH and just ran that command with my Windows Server's IP address and it SEEMS to be working fine - I am let to test a real situation MySQL script.

You should replace 'your_host' with '%' which would enable root to connect to MySQL from any location.

Never forget to execute 'FLUSH PRIVILEGES;' command after updating the record.
    Muhammad Waseem
    Inspedium Corporation (Pvt) Ltd.
    InsPanel - Hosting Control Panel for Windows 2000/2003