Site Search function

I've have a site search feature (to search for articles within my website) on my website which does not work. Can anyone tell me what i need to do or use in order for this search function to work?

many thanks

First thing you might want to do is provide readers of this forum with your website address.
    Why don't ya Kiss My Floppy?

The website is offline at the moment, so that would not be any help.

but thanks

Without knowing the script, the set-up, the server, or the error messages, it seems likely it may be difficult to provide a solution. Sorry.

i'm thinking you mean you haven't designed a back-end yet.

well i would use a database listing each article, and a number of associated keywords. then the search function can look for those articles

You could have the search function search each article for words associated with the search terms. More difficult to setup than keyword association.

thanks for the suggestions. I didnt design the website (the designer is off travelling now); i think the site search tool was added for appearance with no means of making it actually work.

Is google site search any good?

Google's site search will only search files on your website that Google has in their index, that's the only downfall. So if you add a new article, and have a low-volume website, it could take a bit of time before it actually shows up in the results.

Your best option would be to either add the articles into a databae and putting fulltext indexes on the actual article content, or by using a third-party PHP program that will either (a) crawl your website and build a "database" of files, or (b) adding meta keyword tags and using a PHP search script that only looks for the tags you've setup.