cheap beginner box

Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap box that I can learn linux basic & internet apps etc. while hosting some home-made sites and also downloading stuff to be downloaded securely on a fat pipe etc.

It seems like it has to be a VPS because dedicated seems expensive.

My requirements are:

- no more than US$10 per month (cheaper the better, but willing to move higher a little if suits requirements)
    - around 30gigs transfer per month - (higher the better of course)
    - reasonably decent bandwidth (1 megs/sec average dl/ul minimum)
    - able to run the necessary linux apps on any ports (secure ssh, bittorrent, irc if possible but only for download if cant get at this price etc.)
    - no strict / not heavily enforced policy on what I can store on it

Many thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by senken

You do realize that vendors reading this will have alarm bells going off in their heads, don't you?

The policies limiting what you can store on a server are there not to make your life difficult, but because there are serious repercussions that can happen when companies allow "dubious" content to be stored on their servers. If I were shopping for any other VPS plans, I'd avoid any vendors who allow such content, because the least permissive hosts generally are more stable than average.

Under 10 bucks... I'd try VeggieHost... Other than that, not to many hosts with that cheap of prices... May I ask why no strict enforcement of what your data contents are?

Also, if you want to play around and learn bash, you should find an old computer you own and load linux on it... Some hosts charge for OS reloads after you mess it up!

Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap box that I can learn linux basic & internet apps etc. while hosting some home-made sites and also downloading stuff to be downloaded securely on a fat pipe etc.

It seems like it has to be a VPS because dedicated seems expensive.

My requirements are:

- no more than US$10 per month (cheaper the better, but willing to move higher a little if suits requirements)
    - around 30gigs transfer per month - (higher the better of course)
    - reasonably decent bandwidth (1 megs/sec average dl/ul minimum)
    - able to run the necessary linux apps on any ports (secure ssh, bittorrent, irc if possible but only for download if cant get at this price etc.)

It's definitely awesome that you want to learn linux. Good luck finding a VPS under $10, however it can probably be done per all the competition in the VPS market lately. Maybe as an alternative you should buy a used or utilize a spare computer you have at home, install, experience, learn, and become comfortable with linux before jumping into anything more than a shared/reseller hosting account.

Best of luck with your search.

If you wanna such a vps blow $10/month:

vpslink.com:VPSLink1 Plan $7.99 64M RAM/2G SATA/100G Transfer
    prgmr.com:$5 64M RAM/1G SCSI/10G Transfer
    My Personal Sites:Oh !!!MIYU-GのDAYs
    http://www.1221.in
    MY LIFE IS COOL,SO IS MY VPS I WILL TELL YOU MORE ABOUT VPS

vpslink, while a great value, doesn't provide the required "no strict/not heavily enforced policy on what I can store on it". From their AUP, "Customer agrees not to upload to, download from, make available for public access on, or transmit through VPSLink Web Hosting's system any copyrighted material in violation of the copyright owner's rights in that material."

prgrmr.com's AUP states "Transmission, distribution or storage of any material in violation of any applicable law or regulation is prohibited. This includes, without limitation, material protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property right used without proper authorization, and material that is obscene, defamatory, constitutes an illegal threat, or violates export control laws."

So neither product seems to fit the original poster's needs to serve content without intervention from the host.

Quote Originally Posted by minsight
    So neither product seems to fit the original poster's needs to serve content without intervention from the host.
    I didn't say I wanted to serve such content. Of course I would expect to get in trouble for that. I just want to download stuff for personal download later.

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at some of the recommendations.

Any other cheap start up ones to look at? (like vpslink etc.)

I might try a few of them to see what performance is like etc.
    Last edited by senken; 10-04-2006 at 11:16 PM.

Also what Linux variant do you recommend for a low resource VPS?

I was thinking Debian or Fedora.

And say the disk space is 2Gb, does this include a linux install?

So I may only have 1.7Gb free for instance. Need a light install then.

Also what Linux variant do you recommend for a low resource VPS?

I was thinking Debian or Fedora.

And say the disk space is 2Gb, does this include a linux install?

So I may only have 1.7Gb free for instance. Need a light install then.
    The OS template is usually pretty light, and yes, the linux install counts against that 2GB.

The centos vps image I used just about 400M~500M,if you need Gentoo Linux Image,it used more than 1G

I would probably tell you to get CentOS and learn with that... I think it's one of the best server platforms that you can use. Does anyone else have a recomendation for what OS for the thread starter to use?

I would also recomend CentOS, the OS i prefer to use, and learned on.
    || Josh Anderson - CVO A&M Hosting
    || A&M Hosting | Virtual Private Servers
    || US | UK
    || No overselling guaranteed

CentOS,Of Course