Thumbs up Taking over a site, need help with Domain name

I am taking over a friend's website. I'm doing this, not really knowing the back-end of things regarding domain names.

He has the site with webhost X. I (nor the owner) has any idea of who did the "domain name registrar". I don't know if it was seperate at like a godaddy.com, or if they got the domain through the webhost.

How can I find this out, especially when the owner of the domain has no clue what he bought?

I tried to do a WHOIS and this is what I could find:

ICANN Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
    Name Server: NS11.SERVDNS.COM

I tried to go to Tucows.com but it said something to the effect that no such domain is here and to check with the host (or something like that).

What tool does one use to track down info like this and how do I 'get control' so I can move it to a better host.

The current host sucks, too little GB space and no cPanel. I want to move him to a good host but the guy who used to work on his site got mad and left me with no info...not to mention the owner is CLUELESS of what he bought....

Thanks!

your contact info needs to be in the whois data.

is it?

First get control of the domain name. Then move to a new host. Don't try to do both at the same time.
    Who's name and email are showing as the registrant & admin contact in the WHOIS? Do you have access to that email address?

Where did you do the Whois look-up?

If you go to a somewhere like Domaintools.com or Samspade.org you should be able to get full information - as opposed to just the basic information about who the registrar is and nothing else. The full Whois should tell you who the registrar and admin contact are. It may also tell you if the domain was registered through a reseller, and who that reseller is.

Once you have that information you can decide on your next step.... which will obviously depend on whose domain it is and where it is registered.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno
    Who's name and email are showing as the registrant & admin contact in the WHOIS? Do you have access to that email address?
    I used domaintools.com but it all points to my friend/client. He's not too computer saavy so I don't know what he did to get it but on the search I have the following (anonomized below for example only):

Registrant:
    John Doe
    Address
    Country

Domain name: domain.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Doe, John
    Address
    Country
    Phone

Technical Contact:
    Doe, John
    Address
    Country
    Phone

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
    Record last updated on 01-Sep-2006.
    Record expires on 01-Jun-2007.
    Record created on 01-Jun-2005.

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS10.SERVDNS.COM

So what do you guys suggest I do now in order to help my friend? He had someone else do this for him and now that he's not doing the work, I guess he took all the info with him. I just want to move his host to a better company, but I don't want to call the host yet, especially if the domain name IS tied to them. What is the best way to handle a situation like this?

Thanks!

http://resellers.tucows.com/

Your friend could had bought it from a tucows reseller. Check if there's a control panel for you to mange your domain. If not, transfer your domain to a registrar that give you a control panel (but make sure the Admin Contact email of the domain is something you or your friend have access to first)
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

To transfer a domain: Find a new registrar (ie Namecheap) and from this registrar's website you can initiate a transfer away from Tucows. The new registrar will send an email to John Doe's email address and if he does nothing (does not object) then the domain will transfer automatically in about 5 days.
    Once you have control of the domains, & have copies of all website content, you can then move to a new host.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno
    The new registrar will send an email to John Doe's email address and if he does nothing (does not object) then the domain will transfer automatically in about 5 days.
    *COMPLETELY* wrong. New registrar sends email and admin *MUST* approve the transfer. If he does nothing, domain will be not transferred.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

As some of the others suggested above, chances are the domain name is with a
    reseller for an actual domain registrar. In Tucows' case, check the link below:

http://domainhelp.tucows.com/

Use one of the 2 sections at the right, although the top right one should give you
    the name and contact data of the tucows reseller where the domain name was
    originally acquired from. Once obtained, contact the reseller first.

If nothing fruitful happens:

http://changeprovider.tucows.com/

If you find your OpenSRS Registration Service Provider (RSP or "Reseller") is not responsive or is not providing suitable services, you may transfer your domain registration to another Registration Service Provider. As an additional benefit, the transfer adds another year of registration onto the domain even if the domain has expired. It will also reset the domain's login/passwords if you have lost access to the domain.

Once your domain is with your new Provider, they should provide you with most of the support you need, including changing DNS/Name servers, login/passwords, technical and customer support, etc. A list of Tucows/OpenSRS RSPs can be found here:

http://referrals.tucows.com/

You should check that the RSP's support, services, domain management options and language meet your needs because providers differ widely in these matters. Absent any problems with an invalid Administrative email address (which is used to confirm transfers) this process can be completed in a few hours.

If a domain no longer has a working Admin Email address, the domain owner must follow the instructions found at http://adminchange.com to update this address.

If the domain owner has received a working login/password from the RSP, they can follow the login instructions provided. These instructions allow you to manage your domain record, by changing domain details online.

The admin contact address is the most powerful address on the domain record. It is used to receive login/passwords sent by RSPs, and to confirm Domain Record Transfers. For these reasons, domain owners should _always_ keep this address up to date to avoid potential inconvenience.
    The 2nd tucows link above has further info on what to do should it turn out to be
    more complex than expected.

Whatever happens, don't expect this to be resolved right away. Chances are it'll
    take at least 24-48 hours, so try to make some allowances if possible.