multi-server hosting

We currently host with 1and1's root server level 3 plan, with a 3.0ghz processor, 2gig of ram, 120gig of disk space, and 1500gig of transfer. Through exponential growth (doubling every week) we have outgrown this box, with our biggest bottleneck being the CPU (not memory, bandwidth, or disk space). We're already over the server's comfort level, and we consistently get slowdown during our peak. Bottom line; we have to move THIS WEEK.

This is the most robust plan offered at 1and1, so we need to move somewhere else. I'm thinking we move to a multi-cpu box (2 or 4 cpu) to buy us a little more time to redesign our website for multiple servers.

So we're looking for fairly reliable hosting that offers a decent deal for a multi-server package. None of the big names seem to have much info about this. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Quote Originally Posted by the1bullet
    We currently host with 1and1's root server level 3 plan, with a 3.0ghz processor, 2gig of ram, 120gig of disk space, and 1500gig of transfer. Through exponential growth (doubling every week) we have outgrown this box, with our biggest bottleneck being the CPU (not memory, bandwidth, or disk space). We're already over the server's comfort level, and we consistently get slowdown during our peak. Bottom line; we have to move THIS WEEK.

This is the most robust plan offered at 1and1, so we need to move somewhere else. I'm thinking we move to a multi-cpu box (2 or 4 cpu) to buy us a little more time to redesign our website for multiple servers.

So we're looking for fairly reliable hosting that offers a decent deal for a multi-server package. None of the big names seem to have much info about this. Does anybody have any experience with this?

So are you looking for a multi-server solution or just an increase in cpu count / speed? I'm a bit confused by your post

what's your budget and do you have any more ideas on the type of specs you are seeking (ram, hds etc.,)? with more information, you can get assistance with trying to locate a new host.

None of the big names seem to have much info about this. Does anybody have any experience with this?
    "big names" is a subjective terminology. All of the providers whom I'd consider to be a big name have dual and sometimes quad CPU machines.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

If your growing so fast it might be smart to look into a load balanced solution.

Spread your load between multiple servers...For example have a dedicated DB server, and dedicated server that just serves the pages.

Theres many companies out there that offer a solution similiar to this.

Quote Originally Posted by cheyenne1212
    If your growing so fast it might be smart to look into a load balanced solution.

Spread your load between multiple servers...For example have a dedicated DB server, and dedicated server that just serves the pages.

I second that.

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix
    So are you looking for a multi-server solution or just an increase in cpu count / speed? I'm a bit confused by your post
    I think we need both. I think we have an immediate need to go to a bigger box with multiple cpus as a quick fix, considering our site is crunching down to a halt during peak hours. Then we would take a little more time to develop an optimal multi-server solution.

Quote Originally Posted by rohitj
    what's your budget and do you have any more ideas on the type of specs you are seeking (ram, hds etc.,)? with more information, you can get assistance with trying to locate a new host.
    We'd like to keep it under $3k a month, but we can go bigger if we have to. I don't know anything about redesigning an app to take advantage of a multi-server configuration, so I don't know exactly what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by cheyenne1212

Right, this is definitely what we want to do. But we don't have the time to design a balanced approach like this. Our site is grinding down right now, so ideally I would like to move it to a 4cpu box with 8gig of ram, and also get a few extra servers, so that I would have a week or two to redesign for a load balanced solution.

We've looked at rackspace, serveint, superb.net, contegix, and a few others, and the biggest plans I ever see only show information about dedicated servers. But I hardly ever see info on a load-balanced solution. Why is that?

<< But I hardly ever see info on a load-balanced solution. Why is that? >>

Because the specs of such setups are never the same, and usually need to be quoted based on the exact requirements of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET
    For a $3000/month budget you can have just about anything you want.
    Yeah, we could afford that, but we're not itching to spend it.

How difficult it will be to go to a multiple server load balanced solution depends on the nature of your site. If it's not a database-driven site then you could have a solution up very speedily (just as quick as getting a new multiple-CPU server up) using DNS-based load balancing.

If your site is database-driven then you need to think a whole lot more about it and plan your configuration along with your chosen provider.
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...

Quote Originally Posted by TDMWeb
    How difficult it will be to go to a multiple server load balanced solution depends on the nature of your site. If it's not a database-driven site then you could have a solution up very speedily (just as quick as getting a new multiple-CPU server up) using DNS-based load balancing.

If your site is database-driven then you need to think a whole lot more about it and plan your configuration along with your chosen provider.
    The site is database driven to an extent. It's a membership-based photo-hosting site. Think Flickr. The reason it's cpu-intensive is that we do a fair amount of manipulation of the photos.

What language is your site written in? What kind of database are you using? I also recommend a cluster since if you design it correctly you can also add high availability in addition to scalability.

For the quick fix machine, some companies that come to mind that offer beast machines are LayeredTech and SoftLayer.

For $3000/month you should be able to afford the hardware. The price may be vary for a managed solution.

The site is database driven to an extent. It's a membership-based photo-hosting site. Think Flickr. The reason it's cpu-intensive is that we do a fair amount of manipulation of the photos.
    Increase email deliverability and know who clicked and opened your emails.

SendGrid, reliable SMTP service.

The reason it's cpu-intensive is that we do a fair amount of manipulation of the photos.
    Is that the site where you can make your photo's look better than real life? so that you can then post them on myspace and look good.

LAMP; linux, apache, mysql, php

Quote Originally Posted by erigid
    What language is your site written in? What kind of database are you using? I also recommend a cluster since if you design it correctly you can also add high availability in addition to scalability.

I agree with the guys above, load balancing definately sounds like it will make sense for you. You can do it with hardware or software; software will definately be the cost-effective way to go, but it will be increasingly less efficient on performance as you grow.

Personally I'd say with only two servers right now, use InterWorx for your clustering and save your cash. For a single site it will be very cheap, if not free, and extremely simple to work with.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexDrive
    Is that the site where you can make your photo's look better than real life? so that you can then post them on myspace and look good.
    I'd rather not say too much about the site, but suffice it to say that our app makes your photoz dumber, not better.