Root Authentication Problems

I have a dedicated server on nac.net running CentOS 3.5. I had a problem with a database run amok which filled the /usr partition. I've corrected the database issue, but ever since the system crashed, I've been unable to login as root using an ftp(very rarely) or ssh client. Telnet login works fine tho'.

The error I get with the ssh client is "Keyboard-interactive authentication refused"

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by GMCPatrick
    I have a dedicated server on nac.net running CentOS 3.5. I had a problem with a database run amok which filled the /usr partition. I've corrected the database issue, but ever since the system crashed, I've been unable to login as root using an ftp(very rarely) or ssh client. Telnet login works fine tho'.

The error I get with the ssh client is "Keyboard-interactive authentication refused"

Any ideas?
    What SSH client are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by spyder97gs
    What SSH client are you using?
    EngInSite DataFreeway

The FTP client is FlashFXP. The error it returns is "530 Login incorrect"

BTW, I've changed the root password and the result is the same. I can login with Telnet, but not FTP or SSH.
    Last edited by GMCPatrick; 10-02-2006 at 09:15 PM.

Is this proftpd or pureftpd?

ProFTPd 1.2.9

Sorry - left a detail out. I can login using the FTP client as another user - just not as root.