Thread: RAM modules

RAM modules

I brought a Dual Core AMD Opteron 170 with 2 GB RAM. The Data Center installed 4 modules of 512 MB RAM each. I am wondering whether I should ask them to supply 2 x 1024 MB RAM modules or is the present configuration fine enough. Does it make any performance difference ?

I think 4 x 512 modules will perform better than 2 1 GB. At least if the access was spread across 4 sticks instead of two.

Thanks for the quick reply pixelized !

Quote Originally Posted by crystalz
    I brought a Dual Core AMD Opteron 170 with 2 GB RAM. The Data Center installed 4 modules of 512 MB RAM each. I am wondering whether I should ask them to supply 2 x 1024 MB RAM modules or is the present configuration fine enough. Does it make any performance difference ?
    Do you have any open slots left? Do you think you may need to upgrade to 4GB in the future? You might want to take that into consideration as well.

ah, 'brilliant' point, BrilliantHosts !

I see both sides to this, its good to have 4 x 512mb, but i also see brillianthosts side of the upgrade, The good thing about 4 x 512mb is, if one stick starts to fail, only 512mb will be effected rather than 1024mb.

best thing to do is check do you have more slots left, and make up your own mind after that.
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

Whether there are more slots available isn't really relevant in any way, it's only going to take about a minute more to switch 4 sticks out if needed rather than 1.

The extra slots would make sense if the OP was buying a machine with this as you can't just swap them out without it costing you money, but from the wording here it seems they are renting the machine from the DC.

Yeah, thats right YetiHost... maybe I should have used "rented" instead of "brought" in my post