How to Host Template System for Multiple Domains on One Hosting Account or Server?

Hey guys,
    I am hoping to get some guidance here regarding a suitable hosting solution for my particular needs.

I have a php-driven template system that I wish to use for about 50 websites/domains that I own. I would like to host these 50 websites/domains all on the same hosting account. And I would like all of the domain names pointed just to one account. In other words, I do not want a separate account for each individual domain name. I want all of the domains pointed to the same directory in my main reseller account (or dedicated server or vps or whatever).

The purpose of this is so I can make changes to my template system in just the main directory that is hosting the template files and not have to make the same changes in 50 separate website accounts. Just trying to save time and make my life a little simpler. Which would be a nice change for once!

I will be using the Hostname variable in the template system to display customized content for each domain name. In order words, each domain name will not have the same content, so domain parking or domain pointing is not good enough for what I need.

I hope you understand what I am trying to accomplish.

I am a decent programmer but do not have any experience with dedicated servers, so I don't want anything that will require me to maintain a server. I am very familiar with reseller hosting, WHM and Cpanel. But I am not familiar with any technical aspects of managing a server, so I want to avoid that if possible.

I have not been able to figure out how to do this with a regular reseller hosting account, so I am hoping that somebody here can provide some insight about what hosting arrangement would accomplish this task.

I have thought about using dns hosting as provided by enom and changing the host name records to point to an ip address that I host on one of my hosting accounts. I have tested it and gotten it to work, but I doubt that this is a very good long term solution.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Paul
    http://www.ModernDomains.com
    Many one-word domains and excellent branding solutions for your business

Quote Originally Posted by Momentum
    Hey guys,
    I have thought about using dns hosting as provided by enom and changing the host name records to point to an ip address that I host on one of my hosting accounts. I have tested it and gotten it to work, but I doubt that this is a very good long term solution.

Thanks!
    Paul
    Actually, this is exactly what I was going to suggest. And why would it not be a good long term solution? If you do not want to setup all of the domains in your hosting control panel,m and redirect them to the master domain, the above solution seems perfect to me.
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

Why don't you point all your domains (and nameservers) to the same account? if at the end of the day is that what you want.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by HN-Mike
    Actually, this is exactly what I was going to suggest. And why would it not be a good long term solution? If you do not want to setup all of the domains in your hosting control panel,m and redirect them to the master domain, the above solution seems perfect to me.
    I guess it is a viable solution, but I am thinking that this would rely too much on enom for the reliability of these websites, since everything would rely on their dns. And since the dns services are provided free by enom and used by thousands of other people, I think there could be lots of downtime and headaches down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Momentum
    I guess it is a viable solution, but I am thinking that this would rely too much on enom for the reliability of these websites, since everything would rely on their dns. And since the dns services are provided free by enom and used by thousands of other people, I think there could be lots of downtime and headaches down the road.

Then I would setup each domain in your hosting account to 'forward' (redirect) to the domain you want.
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

Thank you Jedito and HN-Mike!

I was reviewing Cpanel information and it looks like cpanel's 'domain parking' will suffice for what I need.

What a relief!

I previously thought domain parking would display the original (destination) domain name in the browser and not the parked domain. I guess I was getting it mixed up with url redirection without frames.

But I did a test and the new parked domain name is displayed in the browser and the correct hostname variable is passed to my template script.

This is going to be so much simpler than I first thought. Which is a very nice change of pace!

Thanks for your input and I wish you much success with your hosting businesses.