hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting Talk Tutorials : Web Design and Content Tutorials : Flash and XML?

Forum Jump

Flash and XML?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Design and Content Tutorials Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Flash and XML?

Just got out of a meeting and this is what I need to learn. I need to learn how to have flash read off a XML file and generate data from that. I just want a feel as to how hard this will be to learn when I have no flash knowledge (don't know any actionscript or the program itself actually), just very basic XML knowledge, and hardly any javascript knowledge (I don't know if JS would be involved in this). I need to know where to start. If I start learning flash, should I jump right into actionscript or go through simple tutorials on using the program (buttons, tweening, etc.)

Also, let's say the flash file/movie has a lot of pictures, and you want to filter them using a specific property (e.g. by name, date, etc.), how easy would that be to implement?

Also, flash and XML working together, would be considered a branch or something that's similar to AJAX? It's not the same though, right?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 AM

Hi

Adobe Flash (formerly Macromedia Flash) is a multimedia platform used to add animation, video, and interactivity to web pages. Flash is frequently used for advertisements and games. More recently, it has been positioned as a tool for "Rich Internet Applications" ("RIAs").

XML (Extensible Markup Language) is a set of rules for encoding documents electronically. It is defined in the produced by the W3C and several other related specifications; all are fee-free open standards

Thanks

Last edited by the_pm; 01-17-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Please set up signature in profile
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 AM

Do you have any programming experience? ActionScript 3.0 is similar to JavaScript. Reading data from XML to Flash isn't very hard task. But you can't do this only using Flash with no scripting.

There lot's of tutorials about Flash and XML. Try to find some of them.
Also I would suggest you to find some free templates of flash galleries, flash sites and try to understand how they work. I think you can find what you need in some of those templates.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2011, 03:23 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Do you 100% need to learn it? It's a bit of a dying platform with HTML5 / Canvas emerging and iOS devices no longer supporting it.

I'd highly suggest turning round to your company and suggesting something else (such as HTML5 / canvas).

Old 02-11-2011, 04:53 AM

I don't agree with you that flash is dying. Flash is installed on over 90% of computers. And it works the same on any computer in any browser where installed. I can't say the same about HTML5, because every browser has it's own standarts for interpreting of HTML/JavaScript. HTML5 is very raw technology at the moment and it can't compete with Flash.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:45 AM

Hii...

nice

Thanks

Old 03-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Disabled

It is advisable to check tutorials and templates. You can use templates to get your desired output and learn both simultaneously. All the best.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
SolidFire Launches Flash-Based Block Storage Solution for Scale-Out OpenStack Clouds Web Hosting News 2014-05-15 10:32:19
App-Aware Storage Provider Tintri Raises $75M in Pre-IPO Funding Round Web Hosting News 2014-02-13 12:56:26
GoDaddy Unveils Preview of Super Bowl Sunday Ad Web Hosting News 2014-01-23 09:45:08
SolidFire And The Rise Of Flash Among Cloud Providers Web Hosting News 2013-12-10 10:44:27
NetApp Introduces FAS Midrange Storage Systems for Agile Data Infrastructure Web Hosting News 2012-11-06 12:26:21