DNS Single point of failure: A bad practice?

Hi,

from some time ago I have a new Warning "Single point of failure " in my VPS according DNS reports.

Because I have experienced a decrement of my site in the Alexa ratings, I would be grateful to know if there is some relation between both things.

Some RFC comments and other information across internet talks against this practice.

I would be grateful to know how this error can affect my VPS perfomance.

lot of thanks,

You have to define more than a NameServer for your domain to get rid of the warning. Preferably this new one will be on another server, or the best - on another Data center (another geographically area).
    please, bear with me. tell me when I'm wrong, I'm not doing it on purpose

"Because I have experienced a decrement of my site in the Alexa ratings, I would be grateful to know if there is some relation between both things."

Unfortunately it probably is true. Having a single point of failure is not the cause of this problem. What most likely is happening is that you are yet another victim to the inefficiencies of BIND and whoever is hosting your DNS is probably not taking care of updates and patches. BIND is shown to drop between 2-4% in ideal situations. Look at studies by Keynote Systems or Aberdeen Research and take the advice they give to outsourcing this level of your connectivity.

You can buy a couple ns's and do it yourself, but you should check out some various other solutions as well.
    James Dobbs
    Biz Dev Director
    Neustar UltraDNS
    (703) 547-6001

Quote Originally Posted by warp2cris View Post
    You have to define more than a NameServer for your domain to get rid of the warning. Preferably this new one will be on another server, or the best - on another Data center (another geographically area).
    I dont understand. you mean i need to serve website from two different servers and sync data between them or how?

best option is to 2 have 2 dns servers and host website on one

if one dns server fails request should be severed from other
    Enjoy life today, because yesterday is gone, and tomorrow is never promised.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinc77 View Post
    Because I have experienced a decrement of my site in the Alexa ratings, I would be grateful to know if there is some relation between both things.
    Un-related. Alexa is just a measure of how many people who have the Alexa toolbar installed have visited your website.

I would be grateful to know how this error can affect my VPS perfomance.
    The error does not affect the VPS performance.

Some RFC comments and other information across internet talks against this practice.
    Having Everything on a single server IS bad practice and you should have between 3 and 7 DNS servers for a domain. Although it is common practice to only have 2, and a lot of people put the domains "at risk" by having even these 2 on a single IP (or even different IP's on a Single Server).

Lets look at why it is a bad practice: someone goes to send you an e-mail, your server (hosting DNS) is down. The remote mail server looks up your domain in DNS, cannot find an MX record for your domain so it drops the email.

Now, if you had DNS on another Server (that was not down) the same scenario, the remote mail server can find an MX record, but cannot reach it, it will (if correctly configured) queue the message and try again later.

This is but 1 example, and if you want your Domain to be online, then it is best to actually have at least 2 DNS servers on different Servers, and preferably on different networks.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004