Question Laptop Intel Core Duo T2250, is it a 64 bits or 32 bits ?

Hello All,

I wonder buy a laptop named "Toshiba Satellite A100-788" :
    - Processor = Intel Core Duo T2250 Centrino Duo
    - FSB = 1,73 GHz / 667 MHz
    - RAM = 2 Go DDR2 667 MHz (2 x 1 Go)
    - Hard Disk = 100 Go SATA / 5400 tours/min
    - Video = ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256 DDR2 Hypermemory

My question is : Is that Laptop is a new 64 bits generation today, which i can install Windows Xp Pro 64 bits on it ?

Please tell me if it's a 64 bits generation

I'll wait your answer before i buy it,
    Thanks.

All Core Duo processors feat EM64T, which is essentially Intel's version of AMD64, and therefore they are 64bit compatible.

64bit does not really have much in the way of an advatage over 32bit to be honest, hence PC manufacturers very rarely ship Windows XP 64bit with 64bit hardware.

Im sitting here on a 32bit only 3Ghz Pentium 4 laptop, and can't complain, it does everything I need it to and more.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Well the truth of the intel 64bit is more like it is software based not a true 64bit chip like amd. So yes it operates like a 64bit but it is software and hardware 64 is always better.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellweb Matt
    64bit does not really have much in the way of an advatage over 32bit to be honest, hence PC manufacturers very rarely ship Windows XP 64bit with 64bit hardware.
    And MS has already stated that they will only ship vista 64 bit if the customer requests it or they install it on their own.

After testing both vista 64 and 32, I see why... 64 still has issues with drivers, installing software, etc. Vista 32 operated all of the software that I installed without issue.

I think the "next" MS os will be pure 64 only... that is my guess anyway....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

From now on, my only winblows computer will be my Thinkpad Z61P, T2500 Duo Core Centrino. My three web servers all run CentOS, so I'm putting CentOS on my T43 Thinkpad, and switching to Mac's for desktops.

OS X is so Unix like (STABLE), and the GUI is EASY TO USE! I never thought the day would come, but I bought a little Mac Mini to play with, and I was HOOKED.

Vista might be alright for some, but XP Pro is going to be the last microsoft OS I ever buy, unless I have a need to add a windoze server to my H-Sphere Hosting cluster.

Sorry if I stole the thread.

Vista is just a confusing, power hungry, mess that leaves the user with little control over the operating system (a fact admitted by Microsoft themselves).

I certainly wont be upgrading to it, I will be sticking with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

The Core Duo is NOT an 64-bit CPU.

The Core 2 does support EMT64, making it a 64-bit CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by altm
    Hello All,

I wonder buy a laptop named "Toshiba Satellite A100-788" :
    - Processor = Intel Core Duo T2250 Centrino Duo
    - FSB = 1,73 GHz / 667 MHz
    - RAM = 2 Go DDR2 667 MHz (2 x 1 Go)
    - Hard Disk = 100 Go SATA / 5400 tours/min
    - Video = ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256 DDR2 Hypermemory

My question is : Is that Laptop is a new 64 bits generation today, which i can install Windows Xp Pro 64 bits on it ?

Please tell me if it's a 64 bits generation

I'll wait your answer before i buy it,
    Thanks.
    No its not 64-bit.

http://www.intel.com/products/proces...info_table.pdf
    Upfront Business Solutions
    A Cloud & Microsoft SaaS provider
    "Creating you a online web presence"

What about the T2050? I just purchased a laptop with that chip and was wondering if it was 64-bit?

*EDIT* Oops, answered my own question. It is NOT 64-bit, either. Oh well, x64 Windows kinda stinks!

Yeah XP x64 isn't all that practical, I'm going to wait until Vista is released to fully utilize my 64-bit processor. Right now I have Media Center 2005 and for me personally switiching to x64 would be a downgrade, seeing as I would lose all the media center features.
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: [email protected] AIM: HCLiveHelp02

Wow thanks so much for your answers everyone and i'm so sorry that i replied so late because i was going to the PC Store to buy directly the laptop with 64 bit generation, i bought the Turion 64 X2 TL50, i bought it because your recommandations said that the laptop i wanted in the first post is not 64 bit, that's why i chose that Turion 64 X2 TL50 for sure

I've tried to install the WinXp Pro 64bit on it with no problems but there is a "Coprocessor and Video driver" which i can not found them, so i'll wait until they releases them.

Thanks a lot to you everyone

Hi!
    Why only Winblows? Setting up any computer..notebooks too..are fairly easy to setup dual/tri boot. All my computers are..it's just something I do. I'm really impressed with Ubuntu. Windows killer it ain't..yet..but it is impressive nonetheless.

I'll be more than happy to provide instructions on how to pull it off.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Hi, I am gonna hijack this thread for a moment...

Byronhost...

I agree that Ubuntu looks impressive but drivers are not as complete as windows yet are they? I have been tempted to go dual boot xp and ubuntu but have heard stories of driver problems etc especially when it comes to networking stuff. Is that true?
    Roi

I know Ubuntu, but i'll sell my new Laptop and buy perhaps the Mac Book Pro

It's expensive but the Windows can be installed on that Mac !