Reliable server - budget $15

Could I find a good host for file hosting?
    I don't intend this to be big, so it doesn't need to be huge.
    Maybe even put a bulletin board on it
    About 5 gigs of space and 500 or less bandwidth will do
    cpanel too

You should have no trouble finding something like this. Maybe try HostGator - I've used them in the past and I was pleased.

Check around - you'll find something that suits you. And your budget is not unreasonable, either. Good luck!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Heard some bad things about them.
    I need fast download speeds

500 mb or gb? I don't understand 5 gb of space, but only 500 mb of bandwidth (data transfer actually). That seems a bit tipped.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

500gb of bandwidth, and if possible, test sites from the host?

You won't find that for $15 a month...and reliable.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

ok then, 100 gb or less

What have you heard about HostGator? I was with them for roughly two years through the beginning of September, and had not troubles at all.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Email your prospective host and ask for a test file, so you can personally see which give you high download speeds.

Any other kind of preference? like OS, Control Panel, Multiple domain hosting, etc?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

CPanel, Linux

You're going to have a hard time finding that kind of space and bandwidth for $15 a month, even at 100 GB. If you want quality and speed, you're going to have to cough up a little more on hosting! Good look regardless.

- Sean
    █► Server Bridge / Solid Shared Hosting [Comes with a domain!]
    █► cPanel
    99% uptime dedicated support instant setup unlimited domain hosting.
    █► Bridging the gap between your dreams and reality.
    █► Questions? Talk to me: sean[at]serverbridge.net

We hosting people have to earn a living too...
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    We hosting people have to earn a living too...
    We don't work for free?

I recommend http://www.perfecthost.net/ . I have been with them for over a year (my site http://www.a-la-carte-italy-tours.com ), and it is the only webhost (among ca 6 I am using) that has had 100% uptime during that timeframe. I mean 100%, not 99.9999%, according to my stats. Just email them your needs, and they will setup a custom plan for you if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Roflcopterrr
    ok then, 100 gb or less
    If you're serving huge files all the time, you might want to consider Bittorrent or some alternative file transfer system. Its cheaper on your bandwidth bills, and in many cases will provide fast or faster speeds for downloading users.

Just a thought...
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

Pfff, what have things turned into? 5gb disk and 500gb bandwidth for $15, These cheaper hosts are certainly taking over. People dont seem to realise its a con. Its only people who really need money who offer them type of plan, Sooner or later they will fail.

If you read more, you would see I changed the 500gb bandwidth to 100gb or less
    I barely use 20 gb on my current host

So I'm guessing nobody here knows of a reliable host for $15 a month with 5 gb space and 100gb or less bandwidth?
    I've seen free hosts offer (almost) the same.

When you say "file hosting", you mean you'll be hosting other people's files? I trust most of the budget hosts will directly or indirectly forbid this kind of usage on their shared hosting accounts.

1and1 Internet offers 100 Gb storage and 1000 Gb transfer for $3.74 a month ($4.99 regular price). Allowing for 50% overselling that would meet your original requirements. RealMetrics.com shows them near the top for speed and close to the top for reliability. Of course their support leaves a lot to be desired but you sound like you don't need much support.

That said, I did notice their admin site was down this afternoon. Also, a negative, it's not cPanel.

Quote Originally Posted by VeerexAdmin
    Pfff, what have things turned into? 5gb disk and 500gb bandwidth for $15, These cheaper hosts are certainly taking over. People dont seem to realise its a con. Its only people who really need money who offer them type of plan, Sooner or later they will fail.
    What's sad is a lot of people fall into these traps. Older companies like that just disappear while new ones just keep popping up.
    █► cPanel

Quote Originally Posted by Roflcopterrr
    So I'm guessing nobody here knows of a reliable host for $15 a month with 5 gb space and 100gb or less bandwidth?
    I've seen free hosts offer (almost) the same.

That's because 5 GB of space and 100 GB of bandwidth costs more than $15/m. Any host that offers this is overselling and assuming you won't actually use that much space.

If you actually plan on using that much space (like you do), then you will have to pay more. Otherwise the host will just drop you as a customer under the idea that you are not profitable.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, mods.
    █► cPanel

Sean, I disagree with you on that count. 5gb space and 100gb bandwidth is not overreaching on any front for $15 p/m. Figure a 1mbps port @ $18 a month pumps about 300 gb bandwidth (thats rounded down, of course, becuase you can't expect to max the pipe 24x7) and a 500gb harddrive at $80 upfront cost.

I don't see why you couldn't provide those allocations at that price, to be honest. For $20 or so a month, you can provide the raw materials to supply three customers who intend to fully utilize the services at $15 per month all while making a small profit to pay for other misc. costs and support.

A good dedicated server costs upwards of $300 a month, and you usually don't want to pack too many sites on to it anyway, to reduce load. If you've got a 120 GB drive in a that server, selling 5 GB at a time for $15 a month just doesn't work. It barely breaks even.

In my opinion, it all depends on your business plan. For those of us who are running smaller operations, I just don't see it working without overselling (a bit too much). For larger outfits it's really no problem. Small and large outfits both have their advantages and disadvantages.
    █► cPanel

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K
    A good dedicated server costs upwards of $300 a month, and you usually don't want to pack too many sites on to it anyway, to reduce load. If you've got a 120 GB drive in a that server, selling 5 GB at a time for $15 a month just doesn't work. It barely breaks even.

In my opinion, it all depends on your business plan. For those of us who are running smaller operations, I just don't see it working without overselling (a bit too much). For larger outfits it's really no problem. Small and large outfits both have their advantages and disadvantages.
    I'm not sure where you're getting your pricing from; but I'll put it very bluntly. If you're spending $300 a month on a server with a 120gb drive; then you're small time. For that price, I'll assume you are pushing a 10mbps pipe and a dual xeon processor (not woodcrest) - you're renting a server from a provider.

However, if you own your hardware instead of renting it, you can buy a 200gb sata drive for $40 on a good day, install it (figure an extra buck a month for power consumption) and you've got enough space to provide 40 extra accounts @ 5gb a piece.

Did I mention that your site is down?

Long story short, a real provider can offer that at a comfortable margin without ever having to fear users actually using their allocations.

taylorwilsdon... You realize there is a lot more to a business I hope. Employees, bandwidth, servers (either leasing or purchasing), Profit, legal costs, the list is endless.

If you want to offer that sort of pricing by all means -- feel free to join the ranks of the kiddie hosts and huge oversellers that are ruining this industry.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorwilsdon
    I'm not sure where you're getting your pricing from; but I'll put it very bluntly. If you're spending $300 a month on a server with a 120gb drive; then you're small time. For that price, I'll assume you are pushing a 10mbps pipe and a dual xeon processor (not woodcrest) - you're renting a server from a provider.

However, if you own your hardware instead of renting it, you can buy a 200gb sata drive for $40 on a good day, install it (figure an extra buck a month for power consumption) and you've got enough space to provide 40 extra accounts @ 5gb a piece.

Did I mention that your site is down?

Long story short, a real provider can offer that at a comfortable margin without ever having to fear users actually using their allocations.
    Site's working for me just fine.

Like the user above said, there's more to it than "buying a hard drive for $40" (good luck with that). Putting an extra 40 accounts on a server just because you have the space for that is not a good idea. Server load is the issue. Most servers used for website hosting (unless they are file dumps) don't have drives larger than 80 or 120 GB anyway.

And why are you not talking about bandwidth costs associated with those 40 extra accounts?

I have a feeling you don't know how the world of hosting works, at least from the end of it I am on, the provider end. Do a little more research.
    Last edited by Sean K; 10-02-2006 at 07:32 PM.
    █► cPanel

Probably you all know more than the people of hostgator.com right? I guess that they are doing a lot better than you, but hey, who am I?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Yeah, thats a great example. Everyone loves hostgator - they offer 10GB and 100GB for $15 per month.

And they're perfect