Hybrid View

Difference between managed and non managed VPS

I have had reseller accounts with hostgator and site5 but need something a little more powerful and reliable. I am ok with cpanel but don't know much else. Please tell me the differences and which is better for my basic knoweldge and why.

thanks

Non Managed - You do all backend work yourself, (upgrading your OS, installing your software, etc). Troubleshooting your VPS yourself.

Managed - Depends on the company, but they will do a lot of work for you when you ask. I.e. if you want something upgraded they will upgrade it. You want something installed on your VPS they will install it. If you have a problem that you can’t figure out, they will help you trouble shoot.

If you aren’t comfortable with operating your system at the root level yourself at first. I suggest going with a managed solutions asking them to properly secure and setup your VPS. After which just slowly learn it yourself so you have more knowledge when are about to upgrade to dedicated servers.

I will run wordpress, PHPLD, xoops and html sites, what kind of intallations will I need?

Quote Originally Posted by jg123
    I will run wordpress, PHPLD, xoops and html sites, what kind of intallations will I need?
    You will probably need managed, unless you know a lot about servers and security.

Thread moved to VPS Forum.

but need something a little more powerful and reliable.
    Personally I'm not sure a VPS (especially the smaller ones) will guarantee the "more powerful" part, compared to a well managed shared hosting environment.