Thread: 2nd drive issue

2nd drive issue

Built a new box with an SATA drive for the boot drive, and tried adding in a new 160GB drive on the primary IDE channel. Every time I add in the IDE drive, boot halts at a black screen shortly after post with only a rapidly blinking cursor in the upper left. If I remove the IDE drive, it boots normally, showing that blinking cursor for half a second or so...
    IDE drive has been set with master, slave and cable select with no change. This drive is unformatted, 160 GB. OS: XP pro, new install. Drive works fine if attached to an external connector, reads and writes fine. Tried changing to a different IDE cable, no change.

Anyone suggest what's wrong, here? Bad IDE connector on the mobo is my first thought.

ASUS mobo P5VDC-X
    Pentium 3.4Ghz socket 775
    2 GB Kingston DDR RAM
    SATA drive: WD Caviar 160GB
    IDE Drive: Seagate 160 GB Barracuda
    Antec 500W PSU

Is your boot order (in the bios) set to boot from the sata drive first? It sounds like the IDE channel is higher in the boot priority than the sata channel.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Is the SATA plugged into the first onboard controller?
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

trau, you're a genius.
    While it wasn't boot order (wasn't being seen in boot priority screen), it was listed first in the HDD selection screen in the BIOS. Moved it to first drive, and Bob's your uncle.
    Thanks for the tip!