Question source code install and rpm

Hi All
    I have a small question to which I have been trying to find an answer for - may be you could help (I am sure you would know the answer).

I needed to install apr and apr-devel.

I have compiled apr from source but I cannot find the source for apr-devel 1.2.7 (there are only rpm's available).

However, although when apr is installed and I try to install the rpm for apr-devel, it tells me that apr is NOT installed. Is there a way to let rpm know that apr is already installed?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

If you installed from source, you don't need to install the -devel.

In RPM packages, packages are broken up into various units. There's the main unit, the -devel, the -contrib, etc. When you install from source, it all gets installed.

Chances are, the files that the -devel would install have been installed (aka the header files).
    Jakiao

Thank you.

But here's the problem:

I need to install apxs (present in httpd-devel.rpm). However, even though I have installed apr from source, it still tells me that apr-devel is missing!

I believe its because rpm cannot detect the packages installed using source - kindly advise!

The reason RPM can't see it is because it only checks based on RPM's installed. If you're sure that everything was installed properly from source, you could use --nodeps with the rpm -ivh to skip checking of dependencies.

Be sure that all dependencies are installed (whether it was from a RPM or source compilation). If they are, then use --nodeps.
    Jakiao

Is there another way of doing it without using --nodeps?

I ask this because it would at the end of the day lead to an inconsistent rpm database!

Reinstall the software via the RPM package. That's all you can do, really.
    Jakiao

Quote Originally Posted by Jakiao
    Reinstall the software via the RPM package. That's all you can do, really.
    You have 2 options, reinstall from RPMs both the main package and the devel rpm. It will just over-write the files that might have been written when you compiled from source.

Or you could do the --no-deps option. I don't know what you mean by an "inconsistent rpm database" but I am a debian man.
    Gavin Rogers, full time problem solver.