* When You Buy a Car,

What do you base your choice on?

Is it the price that's most important?

The drive?

The gas mileage?

The Look and feel?

Anything else?

What influences your decision the most?

For me it would start off by the looks of the car, then when I realise I can't afford some nice looking sports car I have to compromise and it's a mixture of what I can afford, what looks good and what is nice to drive.

Although at the end of the day one of the biggest factors is how much will it cost to insure each year.

Other factors I look at are reliability, other running costs (servicing, tax levels, depreciation), recommendations from friends, reviews online and in magazines.
    Steve

amount of space is in the back for those sticky fumblings

for me price, then the drive. that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by hcn
    for me price, then the drive. that is all.
    I like your posts. I'm keeping my eye on you...

how come I haven't noticed you before? Did you use to be somebody else?

It's a combination. I want to have enough car, but I don't want to pay for much excess. I sometimes have one passenger. Less often I might have more. I mostly drive in moderate city traffic, but there are freeways with hills and speed limits of 75 MPH. I need enough capacity to have my inflatable kayak rolled up in the back seat and a trunk full of camping gear.
    So what I got is a Mazda 3i 4-door sedan. I have mixed feelings about my choice of automatic transmission. It can be nice in some traffic situations, but it feels a bit sluggish on the hills.

1. Price
    2. Reliability
    3. Looks

I would never purchase a "new model." I mostly look for models that have been out a year or two. I also purchase new then keep until I hit 150,000 miles... so I'll keep a car five to six years....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Performance for the price. Then everything else.

That's why I'm looking at the Volkswagen Rabbit.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

Just bought a VW Jetta TDI. My reasons for this choice included: Fuel Economy, Storage Capacity, Features, Durability and Warranty. I did my due diligence, as this was my first brand new car ever so wanted to make sure it was the right one.

So far, so good. I'm getting about 1000km to a tank and loving every minute of driving it. Smooth ride, cavernous trunk space, fully loaded with a 7 year warranty, I'm golden
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Price and reliability. I need something cheap, reliable and has good milage.

I ended up with a Toyota Echo, which actually is pretty good, since I like the large interior and the center dash that's easier to read than a driver side dash. You'll be suprise at how many good cheap cars there are.
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

Comfort, safety and budget are my main determinants. I'll look for a comfortable, spacious and safe vehicle within my budget. I like elbow room, some distance between me and the sides and don't like small cars. I prefer Chryslers over GM. GM builds spacious vehicles but they feel more tinny and not as heavy or sturdy as Chrylsers.

I'm in Texas and surrounded by Hummers and big SUVs so small cars that are 100% crumple zone just won't do. The news is always reporting SUV roll-overs. I drove a Dodge Neon and mid size Chevy Impala recently and felt very vulnerable. I'm looking at a 4 door Dodge Charger as a 2nd vehicle. Altimas also have a nice sturdy feel.

I ordered side airbags on my new Chysler van and the dealer had to go out of state to find one. Not many people ask for this option.

I know that stats show certain cars as more reliable than others but any new car you buy these days is way more reliable than those in the '70s and '80s. Japanese cars are supposed to be more reliable but when I drive by their dealer garages they are just as busy as US dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTigger

I ended up with a Toyota Echo, which actually is pretty good, since I like the large interior and the center dash that's easier to read than a driver side dash. You'll be suprise at how many good cheap cars there are.
    I hate the center dash. I guess its a matter of preference.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

I haven't experimented with the center dash. Experimenting in my own car with the speedometer in the usual position in front of the steering wheel, I can see possible advantages and disadvantages. I think the usual position is probably better for bifocals, being closer to the correct distance and position for the bottom of the bifocal. However, I have to adjust the steering wheel to a position the is a compromise between comfort and getting a good view of the speedometer. With a center dash I could probably adjust the steering wheel for a better feel.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTigger
    Price and reliability. I need something cheap, reliable and has good milage.

I don't like the echo at all. Bad drive, bad look, bad design ...

The only thing it has going for it is the gas mileage but it's not worth it for me.

Nobodys mentioned safety?

One of the key things I look for.

I look for:

Superb Drive quality, easy to handle and solid sound/audio system.

For sure at a right price with right performance and having right safety features
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

See, might just be me, but wouldn't safety be the major thing you look for in a car?

Quote Originally Posted by KI-ChrisE
    See, might just be me, but wouldn't safety be the major thing you look for in a car?
    Thats the bottomline: right price, right performance and having right safety features
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

One word POWER

I would have bought a corvette but insurance would have owned me

So I bought a Cobalt SS and dumped 4k into performance parts love it and still get 30mpg in the city 34 on highway!!!
    Nick | BudgetVM
    1G | 10G | 40G | 100G Baremetal Servers
    Featuring Best in Class - In House DDOS Protection - No Voxility

Most important thing to me is FUTURE.

Will this car last a while?

When gas is $5 a gallon does this car get adequat mileage

1.) Performance. I like my cars to have something under the hood.
    2.) Interior. I want to feel like I'm riding with some class.
    3.) Exterior design. I want others to look at me like I'm a classy guy.
    4.) Reliability. Obvious.
    5.) Handling/Ride/Ability to go through snow.
    6.) Price.

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius
    1.) Performance. I like my cars to have something under the hood.
    2.) Interior. I want to feel like I'm riding with some class.
    3.) Exterior design. I want others to look at me like I'm a classy guy.
    4.) Reliability. Obvious.
    5.) Handling/Ride/Ability to go through snow.
    6.) Price.
    So....what does this classy guy drive?

A VW Phaeton.

I kid ... I kid.

I never said I was able to afford all that but one day ... one day. Usually I drive my Jeep Cherokee. I've got an Alero and now an RX7 sitting in the garage. The Alero run's well, but it's just boring to drive. $4,500 and it's yours. RX7's got an issue with no spark, and I know nothing about the rotary engine so that's going to be fun to work on.

I bought a 1974 BMW 2002 a few months ago. I was actually going to get a Volvo P1800 but unless I forked over 12K most of them have to much rust. So I went and checked out the 02 and had to have it.

I wanted something different for a daily driver. For a 32 year old car it drives pretty good. I did spend about $1500 in the last two months updating some parts on it. Next up will be to get the suspension redone which will be another $1500. Then next summer I'm going for a M3 (S14) motor swap. Will be around 6K to do it. 200hp on a 2000lb car = fun fun fun.

So

Looks
    Gas Milage
    Price

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

Depends how much money you've got... me... probably the "feel" of the drive, and mileage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast