Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PowerVPS

PowerVPS

Has anybody ever hosted with this company? If so, what are your experiences?

They have a few attractive plans.

This should be better at the VPS forum

Been with them for over a year, been a great experience.
    Three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population

I have been with them for a month, but their support is great.

have a vps with them at last 2 month, support great and uptime great.

sad, my site attack by someone, so i have to leave them.

but they are really great....go with them and u wont regret

We had a box with them for testing and it stayed so slow it was unusable. Probably 25+ tickets - we cancelled it and brought it in house. It was just ridiculous. Load avg was staying 12.0+ with 1 single php site on it - everything optimized. The node was just overloaded.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

I had a VPS with PowerVPS paying $80ish/month with a 30% discount but that plan included too much bandwidth so I asked to downgrade. I was quoted one price, had the downgrade completed, and they charged me a completely different price saying ....

Quote Originally Posted by PowerVPS
    The person who told you that the 30% discount would apply to your disk addon package was wrong. The support member is being counseled on this mistake as he cannot quote or discuss pricing with customers.
    Heck, there was only a few dollars difference, but they refused to budge. I have since moved to DEHE and it's so much faster performance-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin
    We had a box with them for testing and it stayed so slow it was unusable. Probably 25+ tickets - we cancelled it and brought it in house. It was just ridiculous. Load avg was staying 12.0+ with 1 single php site on it - everything optimized. The node was just overloaded.
    Ouch, I'm shocked you had 25+ tickets and this wasn't resolved. Can you PM or post some ticket ID's that I can have my support manager review, as this is not acceptable and I'd like to know what happened here.

One or two tickets is all I need, and I can pull up the other 20+ tickets based on that.

I used them a couple of years ago, for a year. They were fantastic.

Been with them since april. Great and very fast support if you need them. Very good uptime. Good performance etc...

Have not regrett that I signed up with them.

TomK: I will send you the tickets -- we actually have already cancelled one, about to cancel the other. The support staff was always friendly but this problem was non-stop.

DGJ-49497-743
    OPX-17950-375
    DJO-76902-352
    ABR-11107-786
    CNP-87768-801
    ANQ-39413-120
    CKS-96585-206
    ADI-17232-324
    MTV-80812-880
    GQW-57491-414

Is this for XXXXXXXXXX? The load on the node is minimal (around 5) and the load on your own VPS is almost non-existent. (Incidentally, a load of 3 is not "through the roof") :
    Per one of the techs....Profesionalism! But anyway....a 3.0+ load on a VPS==> SLOW
    Last edited by PeakVPN-KH; 10-02-2006 at 02:30 AM.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered

I've been with powervps for over a year now, and they're uptime is excellent. They're very fast at responding to support requests, however I made the mistake of thinking I didn't need a managed solution. What I'm finding now is that my VPS is continously going down due to me not having enough experience at keeping the server software up to date. I'll probably switch to servint and try their managed vps service.

TomK: I will send you the tickets -- we actually have already cancelled one, about to cancel the other. The support staff was always friendly but this problem was non-stop.

DGJ-49497-743
    OPX-17950-375
    DJO-76902-352
    ABR-11107-786
    CNP-87768-801
    ANQ-39413-120
    CKS-96585-206
    ADI-17232-324
    MTV-80812-880
    GQW-57491-414

Per one of the techs....Profesionalism! But anyway....a 3.0+ load on a VPS==> SLOW
    I responded to your ticket, pls reply and let me know.

Correct,
    PowerVPS is working with us on the issues we had originally and trying to correct the situation. They have been very helpful so far.

Just an update-

PowerVPS is great, I have a VPS with them and their support has been very prompt each time.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHosting
    I've been with powervps for over a year now, and they're uptime is excellent. They're very fast at responding to support requests, however I made the mistake of thinking I didn't need a managed solution. What I'm finding now is that my VPS is continously going down due to me not having enough experience at keeping the server software up to date. I'll probably switch to servint and try their managed vps service.
    TomK, is PowerVPS Level 2 support equal to managed?

I am a shared hosting user who wants to move to VPS. Like to install my own Dlls but without the skills to manage it.

Quote Originally Posted by hellind2
    TomK, is PowerVPS Level 2 support equal to managed?

I am a shared hosting user who wants to move to VPS. Like to install my own Dlls but without the skills to manage it.
    We "manage" the vps and associated applications (example on cpanel exim, php, apache, firewall, etc). So if you wanted apache recompiled or php changed, we would do that.

You would be responsible for taking care of the day to day operations of your business, creating packages, users, monitoring your vps for abuse, etc.

We don't provide application support for the all the applications installed by Fantastico. For example "help me configure and tweak out phpbb or wordpress" that is installed via Fantastico, this would fall under your responsibility.

However, ff there was a problem installing the app via fantastico we would certainly assist and get it installed.

Does that answer your question?

Quote Originally Posted by TomK
    We "manage" the vps and associated applications (example on cpanel exim, php, apache, firewall, etc). So if you wanted apache recompiled or php changed, we would do that.

You would be responsible for taking care of the day to day operations of your business, creating packages, users, monitoring your vps for abuse, etc.

We don't provide application support for the all the applications installed by Fantastico. For example "help me configure and tweak out phpbb or wordpress" that is installed via Fantastico, this would fall under your responsibility.

However, ff there was a problem installing the app via fantastico we would certainly assist and get it installed.

Does that answer your question?
    I was looking at your Windows VPS. I am not a host. When my site is down and I know I haven't changed the scripts, I expect my host to take care of it.

What you explained sounds like reseller hosting maintenance. The customer maintains his scripts, the host maintain the server.

They why isn't it called fully-managed? I was looking at another host managed service.

Operating System Updates - Proactive
    Application Security Updates - Proactive
    Control Panel Updates -Proactive
    Service Monitoring -Yes
    Failed Service Restart/Repair -Yes
    Best Effort Third Party Application Support -Yes

Security and Data Integrity: -
    Compromised Server Recovery -Included
    Daily System Security Audit -Included
    Initial Security Hardening -Included
    Firewall Installation and Configuration -Included
    Disk Integrity Monitoring and Response -Included
    Managed Off Server Network Backup -Included

Do PowerVPS provide above? If not, how important is the above for me who is used to shared-hosting. I donot want to face what MadHosting faced.

I think what Tom just described is what you pasted. He just means that when it comes to custom application support or some off the wall 3rd party apps - they do not support.

I am not sure on the backups? Otherwise, what you have posted is just normal fully managed services.

I think what Tom just described is what you pasted. He just means that when it comes to custom application support or some off the wall 3rd party apps - they do not support.

I am not sure on the backups? Otherwise, what you have posted is just normal fully managed services.
    Then it sounds powervps provides fullymanaged. And it is good.

PowerVPS problems

I've been with PowerVPS for about 10 months now. I spent a long time trying to decide who to go with and there were so many glowing reviews about them, I thought I had made a good choice. However, I've had some major problems and I'm losing clients left and right. To their credit they've been fairly prompt in replying, though it wasn't long after I joined them they no longer offered tech support on the phone - which I thought was a distinguishing feature.

I'm running the Linux Plesk Power 2 with Plesk 7.5.4 and am interested if others have had similar problems. Changing providers is DAYS worth of work and troubleshooting but I can't keep having problems like this. Here's a sample of the problems:

1) SpamAssassin just went away, license reverted for no reason
    VPS: "For some reason, the license on your server had reverted back to a trial license"

2) named overwritten, all sites down - this happens a lot (Dozens of times in the past 10 months)
    I had to file upwards of 6 tickets (when all sites were down) before they escalated it to SWSoft - apparently a bug with Plesk, only option is to upgrade to 8.0, which according to some forums is not entirely stable yet

3) Mailboxes getting spontaneously corrupted (they don't know why) client loses all email, no rejection notices, just lost into the ether

4) rDNS wrong because "It appears that a tech changed the PTR zone incorrectly..." when they shouldn't have been on my account for any reason.

5) Backups inexplicably stopped working on individual sites, and when filing a different ticket noticed the VPS backups hadn't even been turned on after they split the virtuozzo panel from the plesk panel

6) privvmpages contantly going in the black - and no one can tell me why...I know what you're going to say so let me note that I've done my homework - I've optimized MySQL and I have only a dozen or so sites on the vps. When the privvmpages goes into the can, it's often in the middle of the night, when processes aren't being used and there's vitually no traffic on my sites.

I run a pretty run of the mill LAMP setup. Other than adding a new client (and removing several due to the outages) I haven't made any changes to the setup.

Would appreciate feedback if anyone has similar pains or even better, solutions.

>1) SpamAssassin just went away, license reverted for no reason
    >VPS: "For some reason, the license on your server had reverted back to a trial >license"

I've never seen this happen before on any system. This would be the first time I had heard of it. Get ahold of me at contact.management at powervps.com with the ticket ID so I can review it and talk to the tech responsible for handling it to find out what happened here.

>2) named overwritten, all sites down - this happens a lot (Dozens of times in >the past 10 months)
    >I had to file upwards of 6 tickets (when all sites were down) before they >escalated it to SWSoft - apparently a bug with Plesk, only option is to upgrade >to 8.0, which according to some forums is not entirely stable yet

Plesk 8.0 appears to be pretty stable to me. A huge number of our Plesk customers are running it now, and I'm not seeing as many strange problems as I do with earlier versions of Pleks.

>3) Mailboxes getting spontaneously corrupted (they don't know why) client >loses all email, no rejection notices, just lost into the ether

This is something I might expect to see on windows, but definitely not on linux.

>4) rDNS wrong because "It appears that a tech changed the PTR zone >incorrectly..." when they shouldn't have been on my account for any reason.

rDNS is not handled on your system, and that tech made a typo when modifying one of our rDNS files in which your rDNS info was stored (he forgot a period to be specific). He has, since then, been very well educated on testing for errors after modifying a configuration file.

That this mistake was not caught immediately is unacceptable. We have taken care of it and I do apologize for the inconvenience.

>5) Backups inexplicably stopped working on individual sites, and when filing a >different ticket noticed the VPS backups hadn't even been turned on after >they split the virtuozzo panel from the plesk panel

The backups we provide don't depend on the setup of your VPS to run. Your ability to view backups is the only thing that is affected. Our backup system at that time was undergoing major changes, so all customers were intermittenly able then unable then able to see their own backups as we shifted everything around.

>6) privvmpages contantly going in the black - and no one can tell me why...I >know what you're going to say so let me note that I've done my homework - >I've optimized MySQL and I have only a dozen or so sites on the vps. When >the privvmpages goes into the can, it's often in the middle of the night, when >processes aren't being used and there's vitually no traffic on my sites.

What I find strange is that none of the other VPSes on this node are showing burst memory blackzones during this time period. Your VPS seems to be unique in violating its limits for no reason whatsoever.

Have you submitted a ticket to my techs to check the server during the time that it is trying to burst past its memory limits? They really have to see this while it is occurring to determine what is causing it.

And as to your VPS in general, it has more problems than any VPS I've ever seen. I would strongly recommend you go with our previous suggestion to have us build a new VPS for you to migrate your data to.

Just ordered a vps with them, very quick setup, excellent response time on tickets and lovely pings (dnsstuff.com pings my server for about 2-3ms).
    URLShort Hosting - http://billing.urlshort.com/

PowerVPS is awesome !!! Excellent uptime, but the kind continuous AND prompt support is the best advantage with them,

I have been a happy customer with many VPSs for more than a year now,

Good Luck!
    RofyHost - Affordable Shared & Reseller Hosting Since 2003
    Proud Moroccan

let's put it like that:

- seen worse than PowerVPS
    - very reliable host
    - excellent support response time (best I have seen, by far)
    - no problem with the easy stuff
    - bumpy ride on complications
    - Tom gets obstinate and stubborn when challenged
    - frequent "this is not part of our job" "have to charge you for that" while matter simple

still,
    - you are overall safe with them, if you decide to be a bit patient
    - overall, no nasty surprises
    - overall, you can do much worse elsewhere, believe me . . .

ulysseNL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast