* Pagerank of Webhosting company!

Sorry if this looks stupid and strange question that I am going to ask you but I really wanna know about this. Does Google pagerank of the webhosting company's website really matter to you? I mean if the hosting company's website has good pagerank than you will believe them more?

Pls comment!
    Real Value Hosting - Every day hosting solutions since 2003
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting VPS Dedicated Servers True 24 x 7 x 365 Support

I wouldn't limit it to hosting companies alone when I do my searches. I do watch the pagerank, however I don't put a whole lot of weight on it. If the site I'm looking at is providing a good service, and I can test and prove it, then they get my business. Having a pagerank below 3 DOES hurt in my opinion. A page rank 3 is almost a default these days
    Conor Treacy
    Hands-on Web Hosting
    E-Commerce cPanel Web Hosting | PCI Compliance Hosting

How does the page rank of a web site prove anything? Page rank is based on the quantity of links that point to a page.

It is not just quantity only... it is based on the quality of incoming links also.

Anyway, I am just curious to know if there are people who check PR before buying space from a webhosting company.
    Real Value Hosting - Every day hosting solutions since 2003
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting VPS Dedicated Servers True 24 x 7 x 365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by contactsonia
    It is not just quantity only... it is based on the quality of incoming links also.

Anyway, I am just curious to know if there are people who check PR before buying space from a webhosting company.
    I don't understand why other sites linking to you makes you a better host? Does this say that they have better service, or faster servers, or even excellent bandwidth? Not really, and most of these links can be people complaining about a company!

The quality of incoming links determines how much trust you can put into a company? I doubt it.

I wouldn't say that it's a BETTER or not, but it would at least show how long they have been active and if there are others linking to them. I wouldn't trust a single source for an evaluation, but when asked if I look at page rank - sure - I do.
    Conor Treacy
    Hands-on Web Hosting
    E-Commerce cPanel Web Hosting | PCI Compliance Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    The quality of incoming links determines how much trust you can put into a company? I doubt it.
    Nope but it is a good factor to look at if the host claims 25k customers and has a pr of 1, or claims operation since 1996 and is any lower then 3 or so on. Its a factor that is useful, just keep in mind it can always be fake too.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

As to the origninal question, it's like saying that it is better to do business with Business' listed under the 'A' section of the phone book then Business' under another letter. Which is absolute rubbish.

Remember, like a Phone book, Search Engines make it easy for people to find a site.

People should not confuse a Search Ranking with quality of business.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob
    As to the origninal question, it's like saying that it is better to do business with Business' listed under the 'A' section of the phone book then Business' under another letter. Which is absolute rubbish.

Remember, like a Phone book, Search Engines make it easy for people to find a site.

People should not confuse a Search Ranking with quality of business.
    Of course but page rank could be used as a factor in your buying decision as I said. Also he isn't saying search ranking but page rank, different.

PR0 or PR1 might give you a hint, though - if so, it's likely he's small and not very well established.

Dave
    Is your Rails app running slow? I can help. Call me at 603-485-9622.
    http://berubeconsulting.com

I think pagerank is quite an important factor in evaluating a web hosting company. Let me elaborate;

The quality/quantity of incoming links to the website is reflective of public knowledge of the web hoster. Generally, the more awareness of a hosters public profile, the more you can trust that the hoster is legit. As was said before, a company claiming to have 20,000+ customers with a PR of 0-1 or even 2 seems doubtful. Obviously there is the potential for incoming links to be from bad reviews. However whether it's good PR or bad PR about the hoster, at least you can go as far as to say "hey, at least it's legit", and you actually have the ABILITY to further research the hoster.

There's many phases in the purchasing process. The very first being the information search about possible hosters. A higher PR allows a buyer to say, "ok, this hoster is real. It's not a dud page." So instead of moving on, they can actually choose to research the hoster more.

I wouldn't place any importance on page rank for any site, much less a hosting site. It probably means they spend more time on their business, than fussing around trying to get a page rank I rarely look at anyone's page rank.
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    I wouldn't place any importance on page rank for any site, much less a hosting site. It probably means they spend more time on their business, than fussing around trying to get a page rank I rarely look at anyone's page rank.
    The SEO benifits are a cheap way to get customers plus lots of toolbars have it built in and might bring customer trust for those that are not experts. I'm not sure why it would imply they spend less time, its a representation of their reach on the internet.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me even though I know what PageRank can do for a website.

This is because I don't believe that even if quality links are pointing to a website, it would mean automatically that the webhost is doing good or better service than the others with lower page rank. The only thing that will flash in my mind when I see that green shade of Page rank in my Google toolbar is that the site might have better search engine ranking than others or have been doing great SEO especially if the page rank is higher than PR4. Nothing else.

What if those with higher page ranks site owners have the time to tweak their sites and attract links from other sites simply because they have the time and resources and not much customers to attend to? What if the lower page rank site owners have little time for this stuff because they are busy doing great service to their customers? These are just possibilities and can be true online.

I would say that if the service is being endorsed here by WHT, I am more inclined to use it as a basis of evaluating a webhost rather than Page rank.

And just to have a feel of the webmaster's pulse, maybe you (ContactSonia) can start a poll here to see how many people are using PageRank as a way to gauge the its effects to webhosting customers.

Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

Quote Originally Posted by cpsitesaver.com
    And just to have a feel of the webmaster's pulse, maybe you (ContactSonia) can start a poll here to see how many people are using PageRank as a way to gauge the its effects to webhosting customers.

True but this forum is all web masters with tech know how, I doubt they are a good sample of what actual customers view page rank as.

Quote Originally Posted by bwb
    True but this forum is all web masters with tech know how, I doubt they are a good sample of what actual customers view page rank as.
    You may be right but on second thought I think that this group of webmasters is also aware of what PageRank is all about so asking their opinions or buying inclinations towards a site with higher Pagerank maybe a good poll sample.

There's no harm in trying to find out right?

I am also curious on the results of this.
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

Quote Originally Posted by bwb
    No it isn't, not by a long shot There a many joining every day to ask questions in many aspects of web development, totally new to internet, Some are starting totally raw.

Just as you were when you were born, before your parents handed you the Golden Mouse that allowed you to know everything at an early age. Some people don't have such knowledge as you, in fact, millions don't. Those millions will grow to learn, only to be replaced by a few million more who will need guidance.

I would base my decision off a few things. One are they able to acommiadate your needs. Two, are they customer service oriented and quick to respond. And three, do some research on the company and see if they can give you an IP for network testing purposes. Most companies already have test Ips setup for that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sammo
    The quality/quantity of incoming links to the website is reflective of public knowledge of the web hoster. Generally, the more awareness of a hosters public profile, the more you can trust that the hoster is legit. As was said before, a company claiming to have 20,000+ customers with a PR of 0-1 or even 2 seems doubtful.
    Not really, most of our business is out-sourcing for other companies, they don't want their customers to know they aren't doing it inhouse, as it doesn't look so good on them (especially if they are a tech company), so you'll find very few links to us (We've been in business since 2000). PR like Alexa rankings are rather nebulous ratings for judging any purchasing decission on, Alexa more so than Google PR.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Pagerank can give you SOME idea about how long the site has been around. I wouldn't check it before buying personally though.

Many hosts sell under several brand names with slightly different deals. A example of this is Spry and VPSLink. Pageranks woudl vary in this case.

One of the most reliable hosts I know of (Timehost) has a PR of only 3. Timehost has also been around for over ten years now. So, no, I don't really go by PageRank when evaluating a host. I like to use more tangible measurements.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Pagerank in itself is pretty arbitrary, but I'd reserve some skepticism for a host with no pagerank at all. That either means they have no links at all (and are very likely a fly-by-night), or have had it revoked for a lot of spammy practices.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

Quote Originally Posted by contactsonia
    Sorry if this looks stupid and strange question that I am going to ask you but I really wanna know about this. Does Google pagerank of the webhosting company's website really matter to you? I mean if the hosting company's website has good pagerank than you will believe them more?

Pls comment!
    Low page rank means that there aren't many meaningful links that point to a site. Not a big deal really.

But a low page rank may indicate that a host hasn't been around very long. (IE: Not around long enough to get any / or many links). That's what would concern me, the lack of track record that a low page rank may indicate. Pagerank won't tell you how long someone's been around but its a good hint.

Use a WHOIS search to see how long a host has been around, it is more useful than a page rank figure.

Thanks - Brian
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by qwidjib0
    Pagerank in itself is pretty arbitrary, but I'd reserve some skepticism for a host with no pagerank at all. That either means they have no links at all (and are very likely a fly-by-night), or have had it revoked for a lot of spammy practices.
    YES, this is the way to look at it.

At most, for me, because I have the Google Toolbar installed, PR it's a hint I should look into the company's age more carefully, or in its SEO practices. It's nothing more than this though.

I remember Clook who decided to split its web presence on several websites, which led to several of their sites to have very low PRs, at least for a while. Did this mean they were a bad host now?

1000 links from 1000 negative reviews posted on "quality" sites, would in fact increase the criticized host's PageRank.

A greater PR would never be the reason for me to choose a host over another.