AMD X2 64 or Intel Core Duo 2?

Wich one is the most powerful chip on the market, and what version of the chips for a laptop is 64 bit? Looking to upgrade my laptop for the energy draining Windows Vista, and nows the time since someone in the feild at work needs a laptop to only get on the Net to file reports. What's he need a Dual Core for?

Thanks
    Check out Twelveoclock.net. And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk

I don't think you can go wrong with either... search the net for laptops you are looking for and compare test results. There is a lot more than cpu you must worry about in a laptop... gpu and hd are major factors as well.

Dual core is great for those who operate multiple programs. For example, I running outlook, maybe 20 ie 7 screens/tabs, virtual pc, and ms word without my system running slow... I have an amd x2 4200... but then I also have 2 gb ram, and large 7200 hd....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Intel Core Duo 2 by a long shot.

Laptop or desktop look for a Intel T7200 2GHz, it has 4MB cache!
    Loading Deck
    Freelance web designer
    XHTML CSS web sites

What about graphical power? 512 MB NVidia or ATI? Mostly using it for 3D work..

Never used an NVidia card before.
    Check out Twelveoclock.net. And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk

Most popular in notebooks seems like Nvidia, they do a 512MB GO card which should be find for 3D work. I would also look for 2GB system RAM, you can dedicated some of that to graphics also.
    Loading Deck
    Freelance web designer
    XHTML CSS web sites

Well in my desktop I'm running a Core 2 Duo and an nVidfia 7900GT, and I couldn't be happier. The thing runs very very cool, and very very fast . I started with an AMD X2, however it ran way too hot, and I eventually switched to the Intel platform. I would say go Intel definitely, since in a laptop heat is much worse than a desktop. For graphics either nVidia or ATI are good at the moment. nVidia is probably cheaper for a laptop, and I have hadf no problems with my 7900GT.

Best of luck,
    Alex

Yeah Core 2 Duo is far superior to Athlon X2, Intel has rebounded well with their recent releases and once again is back on top of AMD, great for us consumers to see the market competitive again after last year in which AMD basically topped everything Intel had to offer with ease.
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: [email protected] AIM: HCLiveHelp02

Intel Core 2 Duo

Haha, i've gotta agree with everyone else here. I've built several machines with the e6300, and they just scream. Plus they run cool!

Although if you're taking price into consideration I wouldn't rule out the X2 series altogether, Core 2 Duos are still rather pricey, and it's tough to beat some of the deals on X2 processors right now.

Still if you're just looking for performance then stick with Intel, for now anyway.

Intel Duo Core 2 is the best in the market right now... and AMD Athlon 64 Duo Core is in 2nd place.........

Core 2 Duo in laptops is not 64bit and won't be until sometime next year when the Santa Rosa chipset is released.

Core 2 Duo chips are better than AMD's offering on the mobile market.

In my opinion 64bit is the last thing you should be worried about on a laptop purchase, you aren't going to be using more than 2GB of RAM and Vista doesn't need 64bit processors. Yeah there are some benifits from running some 32bit applications on a 64bit machine and you can run 64bit software, but are you really going to notice the limited speed boosts when you're got a much improved processor anyway?
    Last edited by Umbongo; 10-05-2006 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo
    Core 2 Duo in laptops is not 64bit and won't be until sometime next year when the Santa Rosa chipset is released.
    I just wanted to correct myself on this part as I was going on second hand information, Santa Rosa will indeed be a 64-bit chipset, aswell as having a faster frontside bus (800 compared to current 67 and supprt the new n wireless standard). However while the Napa platform that launched with core duos at the start of this year was 32-bit there is a Napa64 upgrade which is supposed to be shipping with merom laptops to enable them to use 64-bit processing. Information on what exactly Napa64 is compared to Napa seems hard to find, wherther it is a bios upgrade or something on the hardware level I can't seem to find out. The chances of a core 2 duo laptop being 64-bit ready however seem very, very likely.

Also while Vista doesn't require a 64-bit processor, there seems to be alot of people claiming you won't get the "full Vista experience" without 64-bit, though what exactly that is you'll have to research on your own.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 10-07-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Running a Mac Book Pro here and I must say that I am extremely pleased with the Intel Core Duo chipset (Especially since I usually have more than 5 programs open at all times). Thus far I have yet to experience any real slow downs like I did with previous chips.
    PingPros LLC | International Network Consultant & Internet Service Provider
    Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, BGP, OSPF, Windows, Linux, and Mac Consulting services | Internet Service Provider
    High Quality Services at a very competitive price!

Other things to worry about in a laptop:

1. HDD speed and type. This will determine greatly the speed you can actually see when using the system.

2. RAM, not much to say here, except get as much as you can afford.

3. Screen type and size. The larger the screen, the heavier the laptop, and the faster the battery will drain. Whatever you do, avoid those "glossy" laptop screens that are designed more for movie watching than actual work; staring at that with sun on your back is going to kill your eyes.

4. Keyboard. Sounds strange, but a lot of laptops have different style keys and make sure you are comfortable typing on them. For example, right now I am using my friend's Toshiba laptop, and they keys are small and I am constantly making typos. Also see how the keyboard feels in your hand. Some people prefer a more pronounced feedback from their keyboard (like me) -- others prefer the silent type.

5. Weight. Obviously, if you are never going to move it, then disregard. But if you will be using it as a portable, the weight will become a huge factor. Trust me, picking it up for a few minutes at the store is no comparison to having it slung over your shoulder in a bag, with the powersupply, external mouse, cables, etc. while running down Terminal A to catch a flight on gate 54.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Core 2 Duo definitely, on a laptop. It isn't just the performance lead, but also it takes up less power. A huge factor in a laptop.

I just wanted to correct myself on this part as I was going on second hand information, Santa Rosa will indeed be a 64-bit chipset, aswell as having a faster frontside bus (800 compared to current 67 and supprt the new n wireless standard). However while the Napa platform that launched with core duos at the start of this year was 32-bit there is a Napa64 upgrade which is supposed to be shipping with merom laptops to enable them to use 64-bit processing. Information on what exactly Napa64 is compared to Napa seems hard to find, wherther it is a bios upgrade or something on the hardware level I can't seem to find out. The chances of a core 2 duo laptop being 64-bit ready however seem very, very likely.
    Any idea when it'll be out. I am trying to decide between a laptop or a desktop at the momment, and one of the major thing stopping me from getting a laptop is the lower FSB speed.

As for 64bit vs 32bit, I would like to point out that a 32bit processor can address 4 gigs of memory, not 2 gigs. But I do believe that there is no harm getting a 64bit processor if there is one (I thought all processors are 64bit nowadays)

1. HDD speed and type. This will determine greatly the speed you can actually see when using the system.

2. RAM, not much to say here, except get as much as you can afford.
    I would say RAM is alot more important then the HDD speed and type. Most laptops have a 2.5 inch HDD and they just can't run as fast as those you can find on desktops. The fastest laptop HDD I've seen sold on a laptop is 7200RPM. And even then, it probably has **** latency. Compare that to a SCSI drive...

I would say pile on the RAM, so that windows don't ever have to reach for virtual memory as that will cause a huge performance blow...

The overwhelimg majority of laptops have 5400RPM HDD so I agree, don't worry about speed and just make sure you can get as much RAM as possible.