* to add hundreds of boards to a simple machine forum from a list?

I need to add hundreds of boards to a sm forum, from a list, I have started to add them manually through the admin panel but it's very important to end adding them in less than a week, but at the speed am doing it I will en within three months!
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPP

is there a way to just copy the list somewhere so the list items become boards?

I don't know how SMF's database is organized, but I'm sure you could insert them directly into MySQL from your list.

have you tried posting on the smf forum?

you could always edit the mysql manually which might be quicker but i have never used it.

You can easily export your board's table readings into an SQL file by using phpmyadmin. There's absolutely no need to add them manually anymore (especially with a huge size of table readings - imagine how long it would take. ).

thanks brendandonhu!
    thanks daveredfern, I have indeed asked there but they just told me what you told me, that maybe with mysql...

horizon, thanks a lot you are totally awsome, could you tell me something more as to how to achieve this? or maybe an url with some more information?
    I have asked this in a lot of places but no one seems to really know how to do it you really rock!!!
    Last edited by healthy; 10-02-2006 at 12:29 PM.

If I have the file that contain the list, I might try to download SMF and create queries for it.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

By downloading phpmyadmin (free of use), you can use the 'export' function by checking the targeted SQL table you wish to export.

Why are you telling him how to export? Sure, he can get the DB structure that way, but it's not at all what he's asking. He has a list of forum names (I'm assuming) that he wants to have created into forums on his board....

Nothing to do with exporting

Nothing to do with exporting
    Totally beg to differ. All board names are still being loaded under these SQL tables. To save valuable time, exporting is the most common solution.

I guess I've misunderstood what his requirements are..

If he has a txt file with this content

Forum 1
    Forum 2
    Forum 3
    Forum 4
    Forum 5
    Forum 6
    that he wants to import into his database, how is exporting that database going to help him at all, save for getting the structure?

By importing / exporting with SQL file format, it will definitely save lots of time.

Right, by mimicking the database structure and IMPORTING that into the database using phpmyadmin, I agree...It will save time..

However, again, I don't see where exporting comes in to play at all....

However, again, I don't see where exporting comes in to play at all....
    The point is - if you import with a TXT file, it is highly unlikely you'll get successful results so that, if you. first, export your content into an SQL file, then re-import it to another database name (for instance) - should do it.

Please show me where I told him to import a text file.....really

If he has his list of forum1,2,3,etc...and changes that to SQL (INSERT INTO tablename, blah blah blah) then that would work FINE

Again, nowhere does exporting come into play, except POSSIBLY to get the database structure to form the correct queries...

I do have a .txt file like:

forum 1
    forum 2
    forum 867

Ouch ... must be a massive file.

It sure won't get shrinker if you gather these readings from an SQL file but you'll sure have more possibilities to import it into another SQL Database rather than from a single txt file (unless you have access to a remote mySQL server name (rather than localhost) and you can use an SQL client Software (such as Navicat or mySQL-Front) for instance. Then, you'd be on business - even with a txt file).

So this one site is going to have 867 different forums??

If so, that's major overkill and you need to reconsider....HOWEVER, if you're set on having that many forums, please post the ENTIRE text file here, along with a mysql dump of the database, and I can convert the text file into a series of SQL queries to populate the database..

Due to the massive size of readings, it would be best to post this file as an attachment rather than straight readings.

/unsubscribing.....you deal with it

I guess i'll try to do it manually...

but thanks a lot anyway!

Talking I am starting to do it through sql and phpmyadmin!!!!

Well, thanks God, right now I have just gotten to add two of the forums at once through:

load data, and a .txt file I had to put my self to read sql manuals! but also; the interface with phpmyadmin is rather friendly, I must say!

so, now, I hope that tomorrow I will just have to do it through bigger .txt files, I will be happy if I can add say from 10 to 50 boards at one single time because, then , I could finish this before saturday, my end date is saturday!

If its ok, I would be glad to tell ya whether I could get to add the 800 boards before saturday, actually, it seems its going to be more than 800 now, but I will work on that later.

I thank you all:
    kvnband, horizon,brendandonhu, and daveredfern:

for your wonderfull Hints, thats what made me dare to try it out my self,

I didimport from the server to my pc.

Glad you got it all figured out...

Learning is fun, huh?