Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Colo for 400mbit commit/ full 42u rack/2x20amp

Hi,
    What will it cost for the following in Central NJ.

- 400mbit commit
    - Full 42u Locked rack
    - 2x20amp power

Im looking to put 40x1u severs with 10mbit dedicated ports w/unlimited bandwidth per server.

Also, will 2x20amp be enough power? Each server is 325watt i think. PowerEdge 1750.

Whats the going rate for quality commits from 100mbit to 500mibt? Whats the rate for ok commits?

Thanks,
    Calvin

325W / 110V = ~2.95A / server MAX draw

To get that kind of density in a single cabinet 208V/220V/240V or what ever they are supplying would be your best option.

2 x 20A will certainly not be enough.

40amps should work for 20-30 servers.
    The cost of bw depends on the kind of bw. What DC will you co-locate your servers?
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

You can get Cogent bandwidth at >100Mbps commits for $12.00 to $15.00 per Mbps depending on provider, assuming you do not go directly to cogent in which case you could get $10.00 per Mbps on 200+Mbps commits. I wouldn't recommend colocating directly with Cogent for several reasons.

Ideally you want a blend of cogent and other providers which many colo's can provide. Expect to pay $13.00 per Mbps or more for 400Mbps commits, from a quality provider with good support and uptime. You'll probably pay more per Mbps for lower commits, possibly $15.00 - $20.00.

Are you dead set on NJ? What about VA?
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Hey thanks,
    What does that much power usually cost per cabinet?

As for what DC i will be colocated, I prefer NJ. I was in NY before, it was a pain to get to. Im in NJ now, but its still a pain to get to since its further then NY now.
    I know there isnt much colos in central NJ besides Jersey City, Secaucus...etc
    Are there any colos down by Edison. NJ, Freehold, area?

Thanx,
    Calvin

Oups, hehe, FastServ, you posted when I just replied so I didnt read your post till now.
    Hmm, 15mbit commit for quality connection is not too bad. Ive been with Cogent in NY. Nice facility. I am now in NJ. It actually further to get thru now. Hehehe. I wanted to be able to go there anytime during the day. I didnt do that in NY because of parking in the day time. Too expensive. And no street parking.

Im really looking for something close. Any idea exaclty what a

42u locked cabinet
    208V/220V/240V power (WireSix suggested above)
    400mbit

will cost at a colo in NJ?

Like i stated above, i am looking to colocate max of 40 1u servers each with 325watt power. My goal is to supply 10mbit ports to each server.

Thanks again all,
    Calvin

have you talked to NAC.net? they do Colo and are in NJ.. very good network.

Interserver.net is in NJ. You are probably looking at 7K or so
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Theres two equinix buildings in NJ, Newwark and Saccacus.. as far as providers.. i'm sure cogent is in one or both of those locations.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

165 Halsey, in Equinix Newark
    275 Hartz, is in Secaucus

The Secaucus one is state of the art, probably still have room. Halsey is full.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

I believe there is at least one datacenter in Clifton NJ

You do realize to use those voltages in power feeds, your power supplies in the servers, and your power stips will need to support it, unless you plan on running your very own PDU and converting the voltage back down to appropriate amounts for power strip/PSU

It'll be cheaper to just get 3 x 20AMP circuits.

You are also going to need 3 x 0U vertical power strips.

Quote Originally Posted by MSV_AR
    You can also just get shorter horizontal strips. Either way you need 3 of them .

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by MSV_AR
    You do realize to use those voltages in power feeds, your power supplies in the servers, and your power stips will need to support it, unless you plan on running your very own PDU and converting the voltage back down to appropriate amounts for power strip/PSU

It'll be cheaper to just get 3 x 20AMP circuits.

A DC like equinix won't do 3x20amp primary circuits without huge penalty fees.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by xoopa
    Hi,
    What will it cost for the following in Central NJ.

- 400mbit commit
    - Full 42u Locked rack
    - 2x20amp power

Im looking to put 40x1u severs with 10mbit dedicated ports w/unlimited bandwidth per server.

Also, will 2x20amp be enough power? Each server is 325watt i think. PowerEdge 1750.

Whats the going rate for quality commits from 100mbit to 500mibt? Whats the rate for ok commits?

Thanks,
    Calvin
    Finding a provider who will handle this load is going to be pretty complicated. Expect to get charged for 3-4 cabinets. You're looking at putting 13 KW into 20 square ft, which means a power density of 650 w/ft^2 and will require about 2 tons of cooling.

Another concern I would have is that those power edge 1750s run VERY hot. A customer of mine had 6 racks, each with 28 per rack, in big racks (30" wide, 42" deep) and it felt ovenlike walking behind them. They don't have enough airflow with those 3 drives in the front, and we were losing an unusual amount of disks. Dell's claim was the heat was causing the hotplug backplanes to push the disks out just enough that the PERC card would think they had failed.

Hi,
    I see a few racks with PE 1750s in them. Pretty much filled the whole 42u rack.
    I wonder how they were able to get that much power in there. I didnt know they ran that hot.

Whats the ideal amount of 1u servers to per 42u rack? I have 12 pe 2650 and 2 pe 2550 on a 42u rack currently, but they take up twice the space as the 1750s.
    I havent had any trouble with them though. WIll the pe 1750s be troublesome?
    Better to stick with 2650s? They are 500watt power. Im on a 20amp line. They seem fine. I guess I shouldnt be running more then 30 per rack? Man, it gonna be tough to offer low cost 1u servers with dedicated 10mbit commits.

Thanks again,
    Calvin

You would likely be best off looking for 2 racks for your power requirement and running them slightly empty rather than stuffing 40 into a single rack.

Dell's arent too good for power so you will struggle. Buying better hardware or LV cpu's could save on power month on month but obviously higher costs to purchase up front.

Now that I think about it a little bit more, it may be more ideal to buy 2 cabinets. That way you can get 2x20amp circuits (1 per cab) and have your servers spaced nicely so that cooling is not such a big issue. Also, you have more room for expansion should the time come.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by xoopa
    Like i stated above, i am looking to colocate max of 40 1u servers each with 325watt power. My goal is to supply 10mbit ports to each server.
    If you those server actually use 325 watts as you say, that means for 40 of them, you need 108A (7x20A or 6x30A) at 120V. Basically it's not going to happen. It's an unrealistic amount of power to use in cabinet. You might be able to fit 20 of them in a rack, but that's still pushing it.

10 would be a more realistic number, or 15 if you want to have a warm cabinet.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by FR-Alex
    I believe there is at least one datacenter in Clifton NJ
    FortressITX is in Clifton. www.fortressitx.com
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet
    If you those server actually use 325 watts as you say, that means for 40 of them, you need 108A (7x20A or 6x30A) at 120V. Basically it's not going to happen. It's an unrealistic amount of power to use in cabinet. You might be able to fit 20 of them in a rack, but that's still pushing it.

10 would be a more realistic number, or 15 if you want to have a warm cabinet.

325W is the max for that PSU, they won't be pushing that consistantly.

---

If you're looking to supply budget 10Megabit servers, you should downscale the servers to ones with 200-250W PSU's.

You will also need to need a datacenter with low space and/or power costs... and nothing on the East Coast fits that bill.

I would recommend going with AMD or Woodcrest processors instead. Those older Xeons are going to cook your cabinet!
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Hi,
    Thank you everyone for your help.
    Yeah, i never thought of going with a LV cpu. I know its a newer tech therefore would cost me more initially.

Also, go with a low powered server like 250wattt..etc Another great suggestion. Ive use Dell and never hand any problems with them, thats why i wanted to stick with dell. Any recommdations for other servers that has lower power and LV cpu that is reliable?

Yeah, MSV_AR is correct, the PSU is 325w. That didnt mean it always pushes the whole 325w.
    btw, the more HD i put in, the more power it draws right? I guess its best to install 3x73gig then 5x36gig raid 5?
    I thought 5x36gig would be much faster then 3x73gig. They both offer about same amount of storage.

bq_internet,
    I think 10-15 servers is way too little 1u servers per cabinet. I think 30 minimum is ok. If the COLO is cool enough, i think it should be ok. Actually, my cabinet is right next to the cooling unit. I freeze my butt off working on my rack. Need a hooded sweatshirt. (C=

Thanx again everyone for your suggestions,
    Calvin
    Last edited by xoopa; 10-01-2006 at 09:24 AM.

A couple of observations:

1. I have a contract, right now, for 3x24A (actual) circuits in a Level3 facility in one rack, among other racks I have. That is 72A usable. And yes there is a big Liebert unit less than 30 feet away :-)

2. You really should get an electricity meter like the "Kill-A-Watt" meters (under $30) and measure how much a system uses when it is running but idle, what it uses when it is first turned on, and how much when it is busy doing something. Without that info, you are flying blind and just making guesses.
    reliable colocation ... Dedicated Servers | Dedicated Server VMs | FAST links to Vitelity.com and Conexiant.net
    patrick@zill.net Cell +1.717.201.3366

Quote Originally Posted by Mfjp
    165 Halsey, in Equinix Newark
    275 Hartz, is in Secaucus

The Secaucus one is state of the art, probably still have room. Halsey is full.
    Secaucus is full to new customers, but they are building a new area so there should be more space opening up soon YEAH!!!
    Last edited by ProRack; 10-01-2006 at 12:30 PM.
    ProRack.com
    AmericanDataCenter.com
    NY2 Equinix Secaucus NJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast