Cool Good DC for clustering

Can anyone recommend a provider where it is easy to set up a cluster and add more servers over time? We are planning to expand to about 20 nodes within the next 6 months.

We currently have some servers at Softlayer, but I'd like to have an alternative location in case they have more outages.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET
    When you say "cluster" do you mean a load balanced solution, or just multiple servers all tied together with a private network on the backend?
    I mean the latter: it's important that all traffic between nodes is fast (100mbps ports) and free.

We handle load balancing internally through our frontend nodes, so a hardware load balancer is not required, BUT a failover mechanism would be very welcome.

Ev1servers
    Steadfast
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Wiresix.com - best experience I've had. We're currently running 9 servers through them with 350mbit bursts. No problems what-so-ever, after moving from Softlayer where we didn't have the best of experiences.

They come very highly reccommended
    Ampinet.co.uk - UK Webhosting - Coming Soon!
    99.99% Uptime Guarentee | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 24/7 Support

LayeredTech has "private switch" and "private rack" options, which are designed for your situation.

The private rack lets you reserve space for future machines on the same private switch. Private switches let you combine your bandwidth for all the machines you have on that switch for $10/month/machine. Intermachine traffic, if it's not routed outside your switch (use private IP address space) is not billed.
    Specializing in MySQL and website tuning for high traffic sites. cmwsci.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Loktari
    We handle load balancing internally through our frontend nodes, so a hardware load balancer is not required, BUT a failover mechanism would be very welcome.
    I would be interested to know if you found a satisfactory solution.

I liked the idea of SoftLayer because of their private network (which would allow us to load-balance) however there was no satisfactory way to achieve automatic fail-over since IP addresses can not be picked up by different servers.

On a side note, since we are considering SoftLayer, have you not found their network to be reliable? I have seen mention here of 2 outages but was under the impression that downtime was minimal and generally their network is rock solid. How bad have the outages been for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Zander
    How bad have the outages been for you?
    Apart from The Big Outage, we have not yet had any real issues. The private network works well so we can cluster fine. The only thing missing is a failover mechanism for the frontend nodes. Then again, we haven't had a hardware failure yet, so this is for very incidental situations anyway.

I'm not so sure about some of the solutions mentioned in this thread: getting a private rack at LT or EV1 for example comes with added costs. I'd say that the private network is one of the selling features for SL right now.

For load balancing/failover you can likely just get a LVS (Linux Virtual Server) box setup. We have been using LVS for a good amount of time now to load balance some large siteson our network and it works great. It is a cheap, yet very effective way, of achieving higher uptime through load balancing and failover. The only catch is there are some specific network setups required which many dedicated server providers may not offer, but it can't hurt to ask.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by vigor
    Steadfast
    Ding. Ding. Ding.

We have a winner!
    I've been thoroughly satisfied with Steadfast as a provider and I'm certain they'd go well beyond what most providers would to ensure you're satisfied.

Give 'em a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer
    For load balancing/failover you can likely just get a LVS (Linux Virtual Server) box setup....

The only catch is there are some specific network setups required which many dedicated server providers may not offer, but it can't hurt to ask.
    Softlayer's private network should make using an LVS solution easy and effective.

From what they have told me however, their network won't support failover as public IP addresses are assigned to specific servers and one server on your private network can't take over a public IP address of another.

Quote Originally Posted by Zander
    Softlayer's private network should make using an LVS solution easy and effective.

From what they have told me however, their network won't support failover as public IP addresses are assigned to specific servers and one server on your private network can't take over a public IP address of another.
    For LVS I don't really think the SL private network would help much, as the main issue is with the public IPs, which is also the issue you hinted at.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

For LVS I don't really think the SL private network would help much, as the main issue is with the public IPs, which is also the issue you hinted at.

Yeah, with SL your options are pretty thin. You could do some round robin DNS but that's not exactly the most desireable method.

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix
    Yeah, with SL your options are pretty thin. You could do some round robin DNS but that's not exactly the most desireable method.
    To my knowledge, they are working on a hardware load balancer solution (TMX3000, I believe). It would of course be silly to have a network ideal for clustering and then not complement it with a good frontend solution.

Perhaps I am missing something obvious but I do not see why the SL private network isn't suitable for simple LVS load balancing?

I agree that it is not suitable for fail-over (high availability).

I am also fairly sure you would encounter problems at Softlayer if you wanted the servers to respond to requests directly without the return traffic going out through the load-balancer.

For simple (sandard) LVS topologies though it looks great.

What am I missing?