Thread: Godaddy...

* Godaddy...

I am currently hosting with Godaddy's Premium Linux Hosting plan.

For the past 3 days, page loads have went from 1-2 seconds to 6-12, has anyone else been experiencing this (that hosts with Godaddy)?

Up until 3 days ago, I had no problems with Godaddy's hosting, it was fast, rarely ever had to complain, etc. (No, I have done absolutely no renovations to my sites)
    I had heard numerous horror stories about them on the web, but I have with every host.. so I made my justificaction in going with them, based upon their reliability as being a domain registar..

After dealing with their support numerous times (unrelated to the hosting load times, etc.) I have realized that was a horrible mistake.

Their tech support have to be some of the most UN-technical savvy individuals I have ever come across. Speaking to them on the phone, they appear puzzled when the word "mod_rewrite" is asked to them in a question, are quick to assume you are asking them for help in your scripting problems (who the f.. would ask THEM, of all people for help in scripting?!)

Not to mention, while complaining yesterday that my site was slow, I was asked to take a screenshot of the problem. (!)

The day prior, I had noticed all of my pages were coming up 404's. I had just woken up so I wasn't too quick thinking, so I immediately phoned them. The support personnel put me on hold to speak to Advanced Hosting Support, they returned to tell me the files aren't in my FTP, that I need to upload them. (This being a DATABASE-driven website, that is impossible!) -- they thought because my site links were /stuff/stuff_page.html that those were all static html pages!!
    (The problem ended up being with the rewrite file, that mysteriously changed itself overnight; that they were a little too quick to deny involvement in, yet couldn't provide me with a logfile to prove who DID do it). Keep in mind, they were never once accused. I simply questioned as to maybe a server-wide backup hiccuping and screwing with the file.. of course, they had no idea what I could be possibly talking about.

Needless to say, I'm dissatisfied. My complaints of a slow-responsive site went to be ignored, as nearly 24 hours after my complaining, nothing has changed.

I was also asked to do a tracert two different times in regards to the same complaint!!

I could go on and on..

I really do not want to switch hosts because of the pain of moving databases, thousands of files, etc., but if this slow-responsiveness continues I am going to be forced to.

I am interested to know if anyone else hosting with them has noticed the slowness, or even if anyone has had similar problems with their support? (I need a good laugh right now!)

I have some e-mail only domains with them and do work for a church that is on the Premium Linux plan. No problems here. Everything has been working fine.

I have been frustrated by their level 1 support a few times, but when elevated to higher level personnel they have gotten me taken care of.

I will say they are far from being the ONLY host who has less than "technical" support people.

Hope you get it worked out.

Eh, getting reliable support now adays is like playing the lottery and winning it all. The main issue here is that godaddy.com in my opinion is one of those companies that over-sell the heck out of their servers, and cause slow, sluggish performance network wide. This is very disturbing, them being a huge company and all. I wonder why these hosts do this over-selling .. oh gee wait..because they are money hungry fools and care nothing about the technicals of running a RELIABLE hosting company.

Though it's very tempting for people to over-sell hosting, it's not needed. Think about it, if you sell 1000 GB space 1000 GB bandwith for $4.00 per month and say as a round number get 100 customers, well let's do the math...shall we?

storage: 100 x 1000 = 100,000 GB space
    Bandwith: 100 x 1000 = 100,000 GB bandwith
    Customers 100 @ $4.00 per month = $400.00 total income

How do you make a profit? Sell more accounts? well yeah, but then it costs more for hardware ect ..so they dont upgrade to a better service, instead they just keep selling which hurts the network performance thus denying users service or as i like to call it "an inside DoS" due to greed.

Instead if you sell say like this with 100 clients...

1 GB space
    10 GB bandwith = $4.00 per month

storage: 100 x 1GB = 100 GB space
    Bandwith: 100 x 10GB = 1000 GB Transfer
    Customers: 100 @ $4.00 per month = $400.00

1 Decent Dedicated server $120.00 per month so ...
    $400.00 - $120.00 = $280.00 profit + no Over-crowding = reliable service & profit hmm Business 101 anyone?

But hey, who am i to say anything .. besides you get what you pay for...
    Good luck in your furture with godaddy.com or whom ever you decide to goto for hosting if godaddy.com doesn't work out.

Best Regards, (sorry for the rant lol)

Shaun

jvs, you bring some good points. I suppose Godaddy sees themselves as powerful by their branded name, so they don't think they have to play into webhosting standards or even satisfy their existing customers.

"besides you get what you pay for..."
    You don't need to tell me that twice!

Thumbs up

Thanks james0 i appreciate it. I for one know i pride my business on reliability and support, without putting anyone or anything into jeporady.. maybe that is why i dont make mega money ..lol But to be honest, i dont care about the money as long as my customers are well taken care of, and give JVS a good reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS_Hosting
    Thanks james0 i appreciate it. I for one know i pride my business on reliability and support, without putting anyone or anything into jeporady.. maybe that is why i dont make mega money ..lol But to be honest, i dont care about the money as long as my customers are well taken care of, and give JVS a good reputation.
    I agree, its all about the good reputation!

When Godaddy offers hosting package with 1000GB bandwidth, they don't expect people use 500GB everymonth.
    Some websites use less than 1GB bandwidth per month.
    That's how they run their hosting business.
    If you website is critical, you should search for a quality host that have quota limit suit your needs.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumHost
    When Godaddy offers hosting package with 1000GB bandwidth, they don't expect people use 500GB everymonth.
    Some websites use less than 1GB bandwidth per month.
    That's how they run their hosting business.
    If you website is critical, you should search for a quality host that have quota limit suit your needs.
    Right, that may very well be the case, but the problem is people still have the potential to use it, hence why they signed up for that deal, and when they do use it, it affects the network.

Wow yes the same thing is happening to me with godaddy's linux hosting.

10-3-06 my site a small phpbb powered forum started loading pages sloooow. All my users started complaining. I let it go thinking it might be server maintenance or something of that nature on godaddys side.

By 10-5 no change but i did notice that from 7am: until 10:30am every day my site is normal, then like clock work at 10:35am the slow site access and slow page loads start.

Yesterday I was called support 5 times and got every thing from my phpbb is the the problem to my ISP is the problem.

#1 Software does not brake at 10:30 every day

#2 12 users spread out all over the USA do not have the same ISP as me

Not at all happy with godaddy, godaddys tech support is one step above India tech support.

Thanks for listening.

Yeah, you may want to consider switching hosts. phpBB doesnt take a high load, especially with only 12 global users. They just make excuses. To be honest, i almost never get support tickets on my server, as i keep it straight all of the time, and my techs are on the issues before they are even noticeable.

I host alot of people that were once godaddy hosting customers, and even some from yahoo hosting. Heck, i even had a customer one time that thought he could get a better deal at godaddy hosting, then about 15 days later, he asked me if he could come back to my server, as the godaddy service was terrible, and when he came back, he actually upgraded to a reseller account, and now is his own Hosting provider.

Best Regards,

Shaun