Need help picking basic host

I'd appreciate any input that'll help me pick a web host. Here are my needs, and they are very basic:

I'm making a real estate website and all I'm going to have on there are text pages with photos and PHP contact forms (using the simple mail() commands). That's it!

My bandwidth requirements are probably low for now, but I'd like to get 50gig/mo at least.

My main concerns are:
    * up time/reliability
    * access to advanced log information, such as what path the visitors follow through the site, where they come from, which keywords they search for, etc.
    * don't want to deal with any dns issues, hosts that get regularly banned for spamming, etc... I'd like 100% of incoming and outgoing mail to go through, period.

That's about it, and seems like godaddy has all the features, so I'm inclined to go with them (i have the domains through them). Are there any other suggestions, or will they do a decent job with my requirement?

Thanks.
      0 Not allowed!

Are you Looking for windows or linux hosting?
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!
      0 Not allowed!

I think go daddy will fail miserably with a mission critical website. Try a more reputable provider such as pair.com . When you consider how much you make off of one deal as a realtor cheaping out on a core component of your business is insane.
      0 Not allowed!

I'd suggest taking a look at the ever reliable www.pair.com as they are worth the money and will give you the support you need.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't really care if it's linux or windows. Whatever runs PHP will be fine. I think godaddy has PHP on linux.

As for mission critical, it's not like I'm getting thousands of visitors a day, and I don't have anything resource intensive on my site. I don't have the money right now to pay more than $7 or so per month.
      0 Not allowed!

With $7 per month you will start with a good conditions plan, later on you could upgrade
    ArzNet.com
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!
      0 Not allowed!

I think godaddy has PHP on linux.
    Have you done any research on godaddy's web hosting? The reviews are almost all negative.

Try searching on either www.findmyhosting.com or www.hostsearch.com
      0 Not allowed!

I agree godaddy is reliable as a domain registrer not a hosting company
    ArzNet.com
      0 Not allowed!

PHP works on both windows & linux, although just a personal tip, I found PHP to run better on linux.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 09-30-2006 at 01:46 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

I've also looked at the likes of bluehost, lunarpages and hostgator. So far, hostgator seems to be the only one that I can't find ANY negative comments about. all the other ones have some kind of complaints.

Most hosts seem to be getting mixed reviews, but for basic stuff there are plenty of people who claim they work just fine, like with godaddy.com.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hotinaustin03
    Most hosts seem to be getting mixed reviews, but for basic stuff there are plenty of people who claim they work just fine, like with godaddy.com.
    Truth is most people only speak up when they have something negative to say. You won't see too many folks take the time to praise someone when things are going good. Still, a host with a LOT of negative press, is probably to be avoided.

I have had a limited but pretty good experience with godaddy (1-1/2 yrs). I personally use them for e-mail on a couple of domains (e-mail has been very reliable & they have backup mail servers in case of a problem with the primary servers). I also do some work for a church that has their site with them. Godaddy's network and servers have been reliable from my experience. They have phone support as well as e-mail, and I have never had to wait on hold for more than 5 minutes to speak with someone. The only area I have found them lacking in is that some of their level 1 support does not seem to be much more than script readers.

A couple of others above have mentioned pair.com. If you have the budget, go with them, you won't be disappointed. They are the best shared hosting provider I have ever worked with. (the server I'm on has been up 248 days)
      0 Not allowed!

My guess is that you will use way less tan 50GB in traffic. Not even 5GB.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hotinaustin03
    I've also looked at the likes of bluehost, lunarpages and hostgator. So far, hostgator seems to be the only one that I can't find ANY negative comments about. all the other ones have some kind of complaints.

I don't have any personal experience with HostGator but they have a pretty good reputation around here. I have used HostingZoom and JodoHost in the past and found them to be good. You might have a look at them.
      0 Not allowed!

HostingZoom is fantastic as is Hostgator. The only thing I found at HostGator is a bit of arrogance from their support staff as if you were wasting their time. I would look into Eleven2.com or ASmallOrange.com.

0 Not allowed!

Get proof of uptime, contact phone number, 24/7 support, Uptime Guarantee and a Money Back Guarantee. This will at least help you get rid of some of the unreliable hosts not all but some
    WebzPro.com Hosting Solutions Since 2004
    Shared/Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated
    24/7 Support Help Desk
    - LiteSpeed Powered Servers CPanel/WHM
      0 Not allowed!

So far, hostgator seems to be the only one that I can't find ANY negative comments about. all the other ones have some kind of complaints.
    You will find complaints about any of the bigger hosts (including Hostgator), but as the saying goes, you can't please everyone. Also, no host is perfect, and luckily, you're not supposed to be looking for a perfect host, just one that works *for you*. As long as the vast majority of feedback is positive, the bet should be safe enough.
      0 Not allowed!

HostGator's forums are very active & according to their blog they seem to have made major upgrades to their company.

Eleven2.com has rebranded their site and plans.

ASmallOrange is one that doesnt oversell and whose support is solid. Though everything else is unlimited, space & bandwidth is a bit more expensive than the others (common ones) around here.
      0 Not allowed!

Depending on your site, GoDaddy would be a perfect solution. I have a site hosted there and on static pages, it works great. Sometimes, I have some speed issues on the mySQL driven pages, but I don't know if that is GoDaddy, or just the server I'm on. I have had great service, and plan on using them as my main holder of domain names. I might move my site away, but have not yet decided, as I have until April to decide.

If I move, it will be for the purpose of separating my host and registrar, and to gain a better control panel, which in my mind, is GoDaddy's biggest area of fault. Their control panel is not user friendly and very add-filled.

--adam
      0 Not allowed!

also I would advise to get a test account just to try speed and control panel, as it is as important as tech support and reliability
    http://www.eskhosting.com - reliable web hosting services with no overselling. E-commerce hosting solutions. Domains registration with Whois privacy
      0 Not allowed!

You know, over this past weekend, I helped a friend with his site at Bluehost. Their control panel is one of the slowest I have seen in a long time. After working on his configuration for an hour because of the slow load times, I was completely frustrated and ready for a beer.

Mods can PM me for the url of the site.
    Allanon
    vBulletin, Invision, phpBB and Gallery2 enthusiast
    my current webhost: imountain.com -|-|-|- my dedicated server: CIhost.com -|-|-|- dump host: Canaca
    my picture gallery: http://borgclan.com/gallery2
      0 Not allowed!