Thread: file backup

file backup

Hello,

I have recently lost a lot of my databases from a hacker recking the server (argh!!! )

I am looking for a free or cheap file backup so I can keep a daily backup of the mysql on my account. I would only need about 100-500mb

Does anyone know of any good ones.

Dave

You could just go with a host that offers frequent, automatic backups. There are some good hosts that include that with the package.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by everity
    You could just go with a host that offers frequent, automatic backups. There are some good hosts that include that with the package.
    That is exactly what I want, and if it intergrates with cpanel/whm it would be amazing - I have a reseller

I don't know any though. Anyone know of any?

Dave.

Hi,

Most decent hosts do backups anyway, just do a search here on WHT.
    www.NT-Hosts.net
    Shared Hosting - Reseller - Email Hosting - Forum Hosting - Linux server admins
    Phone: 07092898178 - Fax: 07092898179 - Email:Sales@NT-Hosts.net

yes, mine does daily, monthly and yearly but there appeared to be some confusion over backups when the server crashed so i lost a lot of database information...so i would like to do my own backups and save them externally.

If you wanted to do automatic backups then you would need some sort of cron job to run from your current hosting to create the backup, then have your backup provider download them.
    You'll be lucky if your current host allows you to do this.
    Other than rent some space else where and create your own backups by hand theres not much more you can do.
    What do you mean by "some confusion" ?
    When it comes to backing up there should be no confusion what-so-ever.
    www.NT-Hosts.net

well what happene was the server crashed and the daily backup wasn't there for some reason so the latest one was at least a week old but this meant a lot of database information was lost (especially for my forum!).

I have a WHM reseller account and wanted to externally backup to another hosting account or backup account for all my accounts so i have my own remote backup.

I know I can use cron jobs for single database and it looks like i will need to do that.

I only need database backups and i am amazed there isn't a backup hosting company which allows you to put whm/cpanel details in to backup accounts on a daily basis or something.

Here is one that my datacenter refered to me way-back-when.

http://myfreeservertools.com/

only gives you 1gb space but for just MySQL it should be enough.

good luck.
    www.NT-Hosts.net

i tried to register and it said it had sent the comfirmation email but aftr 15 hours it hasn't turned up.

Does anyone else know of any similar?

Is there anyway to backup a reseller account to a remote hosting or backup account?

dave.

Sorry to hear about your problems, I have just emailed iWeb to let them know their system is not working.
    If I think of anything else i'll let you know.

www.NT-Hosts.net

Ok i really should of known this to start with.. hehe my bad

in WHM you have the option to back up to a remote FTP as explained here:
    http://www.webhostingresourcekit.com/253.html

It's not exactly what your looking for I know, but better to backup everything than nothing at all.
    All you need now is another account with another host to do your backups too.
    Most hosts will let you do this.

However this all depends on how your current host has setup your WHM reseller panel, some don't allow you to make backups this.. lame i know.

Anyway good luck, let me know how you get on please

Hope this helps.

Last edited by NTHosts; 09-29-2006 at 06:16 AM.
    www.NT-Hosts.net

I'll look at the problem for MyFreeServerTools ... it's still in Beta :-)
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile