Console Switches - Avocent, Tripp Lite, Raritan, etc

Currently looking at a couple of different KVM Consoles.
    Just curious are certain brands more reliable than others. Support, Reliability, etc.

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
    Are you looking at KVM over IP, or simple KVM? For simple KVM, we've used dlink products because of their cost.
    Dan Bulmer
    CRUSE Hosting Services
    Full H-SPhere Clustered Servers

New York, NY
    EDIT: I just noticed that you said "KVM" in your message. If you're looking for a true KVM (i.e. something to access a graphical desktop), my post won't apply. If you're looking for a serial console, then it will. For environments where you're accessing Unix-based servers (Linux, FreeBSD, etc.), serial consoles are much less expensive, easier to access, and require less cabling.

We've had good luck with the Avocent/Equinox CCM1650. There is also an 8-port CCM850 available. If you're buying used (or overstock), the previous CCM840 and CCM1640 models work well also.

The Avocent consoles so far have had all the features which we've needed. You can access it via telnet and SSH, and it supports multiple usernames (and simultaneous logins). You can also set the parameters for individual ports to set their baud speed and such.

As with most vendors, the RJ45->DB9 adapters can be a bit pricey ($15 each for the true Avocent part number), however you can get generic versions for $5 from a company like SK Telecom Supply.
    Last edited by bqinternet; 09-28-2006 at 11:29 PM.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions

Quote Originally Posted by crusetech
    Are you looking at KVM over IP, or simple KVM? For simple KVM, we've used dlink products because of their cost.
    are you use any kvm over ip with your d-links kvm?
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

Serial Console, or KVM/IP just go with Avocent/Cyclades. The extra cost is easily justified by the fact that it just works.

Northern NJ
    I like the belkin kvm over ip i have, works quite well and allows for 25 users per device
    NY2 Equinix Secaucus NJ