sigh....building...

Okie dokie, my poor computer finally gave up on me. She's 6 years old and everything is original, so it was about time. I'm looking to rebuild with some fairly top-of-the-line stuff (on a budget). I've picked out a case, mobo, processor, and ram and I need to know if they are alright choices?

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...istTitle=Compy

Everything else hardware-wise I've got covered. I just need to know if there are things that could be replaced with cheaper items with no performance loss, and etc...Also, if that hardware is going to play nicely with each other. I'm a hardware dummy, so any help is appreciated.

Kevin

Are you going to use the onboard video card or buy PCI Express?

What about hard drives? Does this have enough IDE ports to fit your current stuff? Your old drives are probably PATA (40-pin) while this motherboard has primarily the newer Serial ATA (SATA) connectors. It looks from the picture like you can only plug in two of the older style PATA devices.

For heat flow (if you have PATA) I'd suggest getting custom IDE cables. They're only about $6 each at Newegg. Other than those minor issues I think you're fine. I bought these because of the 24" length. You'd probably be fine with the 18" version. http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16812183042
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I've got 5 PATA drives, with a PCI IDE extender, so that shouldn't be an issue at all. I've also got the custom IDE cables already (cooling issues in old case). I've also already got a PCI-e card, so no problems there.

So that mobo and processor will work great together?

If I want to guarantee compatibility and gaming isn't an issue, I go all Intel on as many components as possible. In your case that would mean an Intel-manufactured motherboard too. ASUS is a great brand, but is basically a third party.

You are probably fine though. Check the Newegg reviews as they tend to paint a good picture. I fix more issues with video cards, PCI cards, and the like than I do with processor/motherboard combos personally.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

After reading the comments, my newly chosen motherboard will not work with the Pentium D 9xx series (it will work, just in single core mode)...
    Last edited by ThatScriptGuy; 10-25-2006 at 06:58 PM.

This is what I bought, just came in today http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131031