Thread: Cooling

Cooling

This isnt exactly about servers but more of a personal computer topic...

I currently have a hp pavilion, which I must admit, is ugly... Anyway.. if you feel the outside, or the tip of the inside of the floppy drive, its pretty hot. The reason why it's so hot?! It's in between two constantly running HDDs. Now I do have the regular cooling and I dont think I can do much more to help it... Is there any other way to get the case cooler? I've read about water cooling plates that go inbetween but I don't want to waste that much money on a little 1Ghz P4.

Run it with the case off and a big ol' box fan blowing on it.

Anyone remember Cyrix circa 1997? I had one.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    Run it with the case off and a big ol' box fan blowing on it.

Anyone remember Cyrix circa 1997? I had one.

--Tina
    I like my case on! I have a huge box fan, but the noise level would drive me nuts!

HI!
    I bought a hard drive cooler from New Egg...I had to modify it a bit..but it helps keep the hard drives cool. The first thing you're going to want to do is replace that joke piece of filter with something decent. I found a very effective filter at lowes..I don't know what it was *suppose* to be in..but could care less. It works..and grabs any dust..dust inside a computer is bad.

These maxtor drives just run too hot..and I had to do something about it. I admit..HP pav cases are bad..my mom has one...but it has a tiny hard drive that doesn't have the problems these big ones do anyways. I had to replace the original fans as well...with something else..I forget..Delta? Something surplus and cheap...I do remember that...New Egg didn't even have replacement fans for this chassis..which..is not a bad chassis at all. There are many other options..find one that fits for you.

>>>Found a surplus catalog..Surplus center..800-488-3407 website
    www.surpluscenter.com

Now...the basics on fan purchases: Three primary factors..size..noise level..and cfm. Get the highest cfm you can..but not too noisey (~30db or less). try to get a brand name..like Delta..12volts is standard for almost any fan...and suitable for this purpose..12v is easily supplied by your computer power suppy. There ya go...that should help!

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 09-28-2006 at 10:55 PM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1
    HI!
    I bought a hard drive cooler from New Egg...I had to modify it a bit..but it helps keep the hard drives cool. The first thing you're going to want to do is replace that joke piece of filter with something decent. I found a very effective filter at lowes..I don't know what it was *suppose* to be in..but could care less. It works..and grabs any dust..dust inside a computer is bad.

These maxtor drives just run too hot..and I had to do something about it. I admit..HP pav cases are bad..my mom has one...but it has a tiny hard drive that doesn't have the problems these big ones do anyways. I had to replace the original fans as well...with something else..I forget..Delta? Something surplus and cheap...I do remember that...New Egg didn't even have replacement fans for this chassis..which..is not a bad chassis at all. There are many other options..find one that fits for you.

Bryon
    All the HDD coolers i find just wont work because there is about 3/16" between each drive...

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellweb Matt
    I actually downgraded my home built media centre PC from an AMD AthlonXP 2200+ to a 1.0Ghz Pentium III because I was so sick of noise.

The Pentium III runs incredibly cool (and uses very little electric) and mine has no active cooling at all, just a massive heatsink on it.

The system is now pretty much silent (except for the low volume writing/reading noice of the hard drives) and much more pleasent to have on all the time in the living room.

The Pentium III above about 800Mhz is fast enough for most things, and as gaming mainly relies on graphics accelerators nowadays, I suppose if i stuck a high end AGP card in the system, it would still run well.

Plus a 1.3 or 1.4Ghz Tualatin Pentium III with 512KB L2 cache would be more then fast enough.

So, you may actually be inclined to sell the PC you have, get a Pentium III system for a bit less, have the system running almost silent and make some in the process!

Just a thought.

I wouldn't want to DOWNGRADE a 1Ghz! Plus my system runs with very little noise as is.. What happens when you purcahse good fans.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamMan
    I wouldn't want to DOWNGRADE a 1Ghz! Plus my system runs with very little noise as is.. What happens when you purcahse good fans.
    Doesnt matter how good they are or if you have spent 100 on them, they wont be as quiet a solution as no fans at all.

A modern laptop will prove this fact straight away. On mine, one minute there are no fans running, the next minute there is a slight whir as the fan kicks in. And laptops are built to run cool and quiet.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Doesnt matter how good they are or if you have spent 100 on them, they wont be as quiet a solution as no fans at all.

A modern laptop will prove this fact straight away. On mine, one minute there are no fans running, the next minute there is a slight whir as the fan kicks in. And laptops are built to run cool and quiet.

Laptops run hot, at least all the ones I've used. I also wouldn't run without fans, period... Also, downgrading would hurt me. It's not worth it just so I dont need fans...

Lightbulb

The Pentium III above about 800Mhz is fast enough for most things, and as gaming mainly relies on graphics accelerators nowadays, I suppose if i stuck a high end AGP card in the system, it would still run well.
    Even if you stick a bazooka in it , wont do you any good and you wont be able to play those games which have min. requirements of 1.5ghz + cpu speed . And i speak from my experience on 850 mhz p3 for about 3 years now.

Cheers

Paidhosting is correct. CPU power does play a considerable part when it comes to gaming. Considering how low prices have dropped... you can pick up a P4 for under a $100 all over the place that will blow away your current config.

A zalman heatsink might suffice -- or you can simply open up the case and have a fan working full out. Also, remember that one end of the CPU should be the intake (generally the front) and then the back fans should be pushing air out to give it more of a circulation.

You might want to find out the exact temperature of the PC. I've tested it by hand and then looked at the onboard monitor on my Motherboard -- it was well within tolerances even though it felt much too hot for a PC. Hasn't failed in over 2 years... so far so good

Hope that helps...
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    Paidhosting is correct. CPU power does play a considerable part when it comes to gaming. Considering how low prices have dropped... you can pick up a P4 for under a $100 all over the place that will blow away your current config.

A zalman heatsink might suffice -- or you can simply open up the case and have a fan working full out. Also, remember that one end of the CPU should be the intake (generally the front) and then the back fans should be pushing air out to give it more of a circulation.

You might want to find out the exact temperature of the PC. I've tested it by hand and then looked at the onboard monitor on my Motherboard -- it was well within tolerances even though it felt much too hot for a PC. Hasn't failed in over 2 years... so far so good

Hope that helps...
    Thanks, I'll check it in the bios if I even have that feature or not... I would hate to kill my uptime! I almost want to design a case so I have one side have a fan as large as the side of the case, built into the side panel and have another as an exhaust on the other... Talk about quick circulation!

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    Its not my "current config", the Pentium III system is just my media centre, which I have built for my living room for use on my LCD television exclusively. At 1Ghz with 1GB RAM, it is more then powerful enough for everything I do.

I have a Radeon 128MB 9800Pro in it, and whilst I don't game much at all, it doesnt exactly struggle to say the least. Ok, so it would play the games at 1600x1200 with 8x AA and 16x AF at 150FPS, but it will still play games at decent levels of graphics.

My main setups are actually a 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 laptop and a 1.7Ghz Pentium M laptop.

And theres a good reason Intel designed the Pentium M on the Pentium III architecture and the not the Pentium 4 architecture.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Well I just purchased a new case for all of this... I'll swith everything over, and everything should cool down from there... Thanks for the advice...

Quote Originally Posted by squgal
    agree with ah-tina
    Yea... That'll look nice... Not to mention the extra dust that comes in because my side cover is off...

Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamMan
    Yea... That'll look nice... Not to mention the extra dust that comes in because my side cover is off...
    ...and will blow right off because you'll have a GIANT FAN BLOWING ON IT.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    ...and will blow right off because you'll have a GIANT FAN BLOWING ON IT.

--Tina
    You know it... I can start a tornada with this box fan of mine... *winks at Tina*

I solved my problem... I bought a new PC Case, i have three fans in the back, one in the front and it runs about 90% faster!

I have made the airflow from the front panel pass through hard drives. This where the floppy drive was so I didnt have to do any changes except throw out the old floppy drive and block the other inlet using tape.