Question What type of hosting should I go for? Whats the deal with Godaddy?

Hi, I go to school at emerson and one of my classes require that I produce a website.

The website will be split up into video, audio, with some pictures and a blog type deal. I was recomended by the teacher to look at site5.com while some students are saying godaddy.com. Personally I have no idea. I am brand new to hosting and web design all together. I had my domain name registered at namecheap.com so all I need is a hosting service to fit my web needs.

I'd like to know how yall feel about godaddy and if you knew of a deal out there that could suffice.

Site5 is ok. But they oversell there asses off. You should try asmallorange.com they don't oversell and they are very reliable.

Hi!
    Well...my godaddy experience was horrible. Not only do they not have cpanel..but they even don't make the grade..in my book..even as a basic email host. Horrible.
    For domain registration..they're fine...anything else..I couldn't possibly recommend
    them.

I've never used Site5..but heard terrible things about many things they do. What is your budget? I personally must have cpanel *and* RVskins..I'm trying to quit..honest..but...!!!!!!. You might want to take a look in the Host Offers section...I can't help it..I love those "free first month" deals.

I currently have two hosts now..but have not been with either long enough to recommend them.

Good luck! Oh! SInce you are a newbie...I suggest you take a look at webmonkey..let me get a url:

http://www.webmonkey.com

It used to be more complicated than that..but not now. Also...by getting a cpanel host..that will also bring with it free website templates for you to look at and perhaps get a jump start with.

They will be located in Fantastico>Templates express

I also have found oreilly's downloadable code archives very helpful as well as I force myself to learn web design (NoOoOoooooo!!). Just go to oreilly.com and select books...and download the code for free. The books aren't free...however..
    a free trial of Safari is...14 days at least...here:

http://safari.oreilly.com

Good luck!

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

You may wish to try http://www.netfirms.com/pcworld - this offer ends in 2 days, though, so you'd have to get on the ball.

As for GoDaddy, it is a fine service. My only concern is the financial sustainability of the company, but as of yet, they seem to be doing Ok. HostGator is another good choice.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Thanks for the quick responce guys.

I had a feeling godaddy was a little too good to be true.

As for my budget, I do not want to spend more than 200 dollars a year, or 150 or very much at all. obviously. I think that for the most part I'd like to spend somewhere around 100 dollars. Unless of course I can afford something cheaper. obviously.

As for templates are concerned -and correct me if I'm wrong- are not concerning me to much. For part of my class revolves around dream weaver and photoshop. So I'll be expected to create most of the layout, button designs and etc. I'm asuming templates are the premade layouts? I'm not 100 percent on the lingo. But if I'm right I don't think I should be to concerned about them.

Webmonkey, nice find.

I'm going to look into asmallorange.com and site5 a little more and compare, has anyone else delt or heard of asmallorange.com?

I know I'm milking this forum a little bit asking this but, what the heck is Ruby on Rails? I read a few posts on this forum talking about it but I'm not really understanding what it is.

I know I'm milking this forum a little bit asking this but, what the heck is Ruby on Rails? I read a few posts on this forum talking about it but I'm not really understanding what it is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_on_Rails

i've also been looking at blue host, and blue host looks pretty dope.

And you base that on ? ? ?
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    And you base that on ? ? ?
    at the time i was basing it an email i got back from celticsblog.com. i asked the guy who runs his site what he had been using to host. because it's been a pretty reliable website over the past 2 years. He seemed pleased with it and the numbers didnt look to bad.

however im hearing a lot of good things about host gator as well and i'm thinking of heading in that direction. i checked out their website and i like their semi dedicated shared plan and all the reviews outside websites have been giving them.

How much audio and video are you talking about? asmallorange is a good host but their plans may be limited on storage/bandwidth if you have much a/v stuff on your site.

Unlike, some of the others, I have been quite satisfied with godaddy's value. I'm not sure what the poster is talking about above when he says godaddy doesn't make the grade even as a basic e-mail host. I have some e-mail only domains with godaddy and they have been the most reliable mail service I have ever had (never lost a single e-mail).

I would recommend just signing up on a month to month basis until your sure you are satisfied with the host. Good luck in you hunt.

Yes, always sign up month to month. Never pay in advance until you've tried a service out for a while.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.