Why isn't ACID compliant PostgreSQL offered more instead of mySQL?

I've seldom seen PostgreSQL offered by host. It's
    almost always mySQL that's offered.

Why? What are the disadvantages of offering
    PostgreSQL for hosting clients?

It seems that *especially* for e-commerce sites
    an ACID compliant database like PostgreSQL would
    be much more appropriate than mySQL.

Thanks for sharing (and not engaring in a
    PostgreSQL .vs mySQL religious war flame fest),

P.S. For those unfamiliar with the term, ACID stands for atomicity, consistency, isolation and durability. Basically:

Atomicity means that all the database changes making up a transaction (i.e. buy product) are either all committed to the database or all rolled back.

Consistency means that a database's "state" goes from one valid state to another. In practice this means SQL statements that would violate logical dependency or referrential integrety rules are not allowed/executed by the database.

Isolation means that the result of one transaction (i.e. each and every database change for transaction "A") does not appear or exist *at all* to any other transaction until transaction "A" is complete and commited to the database.

Durability means that a successfully committed transaction is permanant and will survive a systems failure (within reason, of course!).

Detroit, MI
    MySQL is a nice small database engine that a lot of people are comfortable with and there is a ton of information out there on it as well. This makes it a no-brainer for most who really don't need the real power behind a really good database engine.

As for ecommerce running on MySQL, I could never figure that one out myself. I'm not sure how anyone could build an ecommerce platform with full knowledge that they cannot use transaction logic. It just seems too dangerous when dollars are concerned. That said, I've not heard of a single horror story that was caused due to this lacking in MySQL.

But if you look around, a lot of hosts do provide support for PostgreSQL, it just isn't as catchy as MySQL so it may not be promoted as much. All HSphere powered hosting platforms support PostgreSQL as long as the admins haven't disabled the resource.

BTW, neither are SQL92 compliant.
    <!-- boo! -->

Probably the hardest things to overcome in the world of software is installed base and supported applications.

It's rarely the best technology that takes control of a segment of the market - even if that technology is offered for free.

Most hosting companies would do well by their customers to offer both databases, however since the majority of applications being installed by the customer support mySQL and not PostgreSQL, this will probably not increase the installed base of PostgreSQL applications.

myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates

Momentum I agree is one.

Secondly MySQL seems to have been built with the needs of the average web sql user in mind first, in which simplicity and speed are important. They are adding the features we take for granted in more robust tools, but lack of features did not hinder momentum. I guess a good lesson there.

Momentum is also perpetuated by the "control panel" wares.

Tools is another - there are many easily accessible tools for MySQL; sifting through the net to find Postgres tools (like admin tools, interface adapters for different languages) is harder than for MySQL because of momentum of course.

But certainly developing any sort of complex application is much more straightforward with Postgres than MySQL. Stock Postgres will feel comfortable for an experienced SQL developer while stock MySQL will lead (still) to frustration.

I just can't live without stored procedures and transactions...

A similar question could be asked about PHP too. Its far from the best web development language!

-- A postgres pythonista