Hybrid View

What do you want from a hosting directory?

I know, I know, there are hundreds of hosting directories out there but they are all mostly the same. I asked this question a few months ago and didn't get much. I would like to know what you would like to see in a hosting directory? What will help you want to keep your info updated? What will make you want to list your company? What will make you want to advertise on this directory? What will help you get more sales? And what do you think your potential customers want to get out of a hosting directory?

Just a few comments
    Speaking from a host point of view I like to see directories that are easy to navigate. Im talking from the admin section where a host can add their plans, etc.
    I've ran across quite a few that were ridiculous with options.
    I really think too for the potential customer there needs to be a simple user review section. I think directories would be more accepted nowdays IF most did away with "top 10" or "featured"
    Just offer straight banner advertising and be done with it!
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

I think directories are pointless, as this stage of the game. Its much like the advertising section here at WHT. Things are so flooded with hosts offering the world on a stick for such ridiculously low fees. Its hard to get noticed amongst all of that.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I would have to agree with both Martie and Tina above. To add to what's already been said, the only idea I can think of to suggest would be to do away with any paid "top ten host" type service on your home page. Possibly rotate ALL hosts on that page(s) and relay on banner adds.
    As Tina mentioned, it's almost pointless now, most directories are either filled with so called hosts offering a million GB for a buck or Top Ten lists with the same deep pocket hosts that are also on every other directory. If you want to do this, just be unique, fair, easy to navigate, an easy to use interface, a simple user review section and updated screenshots.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

Hi!
    Why not do something different? I know that's unusal..but...that's the only way you're going to make in in this world. There are far too many hosts who use gimmicks to get people to sign up..and...can't keep the customers because they do the same things other hosts do...bad support...poor uptime..and doing nothing special. Please...we do not need yet another web host directory that cannot justify the fees it wishes to charge to exist....and then wonders why it didn't make it.

No...if you are really going to do this...I would make a site that is easy to use...develop a serious search engine that makes it easy for a person...say..to find a host with php5, ruby and <whatver> for <whatever> budget a month.

If you really can help hosts get customers..they will pay...no doubt about it..you have to prove yourself, though.

Oh..here's a kicker...why not distance yourself from the others and have some honest way to rate hosts...not with gimmicks..but with real evaluations done by the directory of the host. Real honest evaluations..hey..we tested this host...such-and-such...and the experience...blah blah blah. We give the five stars because ...blah...
    The host claimed to have <whatver> uptime...and we found <whatever> to be true. They claim to have 24/7 chat support...and they do. We tested....

Oh! One more thing...please do not think you can advertise for free on WHT and customers that way...you may get a few..but please..don't count on this as your only source. Think about it...most people are going to use google..so learn how to optimize your site so you can have a decently ranked site in google. Ask.com has been doing a *ton* of advertising..so..they may be worth looking at..even though I don't..yet.

Newspaper advertising is ify..but if the ad is catchy..you have a shot. No...there are many avenues to advertise...it's up to you to find something that works.

Just my thoughts.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 09-29-2006 at 06:32 AM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

I want couple of things

1. they must secure source of good traffic, like to be have positions in SE or partnered with some webmaster communties.

2. have a way to refine clicks, so double clicks and clicks from other hosts not count.

Thanks so much for all this info. Now another questions, would you like to provide info on all your plans or just a range of your offerings? Like "this host offers plans with 10-200 MB of storage".

Interesting question, my first thought would be to have as much information included as reasonable. Yeh, allow people to include their full plans. One thing to concider though, hosts offer different services, not only your standard plan 1, plan 2, etc. Concider anyway the option if a host also offers additional services (reseller, dedicated, etc.). I wouldn't expect to see every host being allowed to post every variable of service they provide, but some how allowing them to place any specialized service might be nice.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

If I was going to go with a hosting directory, I'd have a few requirements:

1) No ads whatsoever, no "sponsored by" or "hosted by" links either.
    2) Charge a yearly fee of like $5 or $10 and I'll pay that gladly. Basically just charge something to get the idiot overnight hosts from listing themselves.
    3) I should be able to count on this site for a very long time. I'll want clients to post testimonials and so I won't link to it from my site unless I'm sure it'll be around for a long time.
    4) It should look professional and have a nice clean layout, nothing too flashy or in the way of the purpose of the site. There should be a helpdesk as well so that I can communicate any issues with the person running the site.
    5) All reviews should be confirmed with the host.
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

Quote Originally Posted by Anky
    4) It should look professional and have a nice clean layout, nothing too flashy or in the way of the purpose of the site. There should be a helpdesk as well so that I can communicate any issues with the person running the site.
    I really like those 2 suggestions, esp number five, great idea!
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Anky
    If I was going to go with a hosting directory, I'd have a few requirements:

1) No ads whatsoever, no "sponsored by" or "hosted by" links either.
    2) Charge a yearly fee of like $5 or $10 and I'll pay that gladly. Basically just charge something to get the idiot overnight hosts from listing themselves.
    3) I should be able to count on this site for a very long time. I'll want clients to post testimonials and so I won't link to it from my site unless I'm sure it'll be around for a long time.
    Good Idea.... Do you know of a directory that does that?
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

I would like to know what you would like to see in a hosting directory?

Organization based on quality of service offered (Tier 1 bandwidth, avg ticket response times, DC's) so that you can differentiate yourself based on quality.

What will help you want to keep your info updated?

High traffic to the Directory.

What will make you want to advertise on this directory?

High traffic. Opportunity for prominant positioning on appropriate main pages (based on page views or other measure).

Quote Originally Posted by Pcar

Organization based on quality of service offered (Tier 1 bandwidth, avg ticket response times, DC's) so that you can differentiate yourself based on quality.
    How could you possibly keep record of thousands of hosts average ticket time?

Quote Originally Posted by bwb
    How could you possibly keep record of thousands of hosts average ticket time?
    Poster would state and provide proof via their own logs?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcar
    Poster would state and provide proof via their own logs?
    In what format? There are tons of ticket software and not all even has logs, nor provides that type of thing. Do you really trust a hosting company to produce that?

Quote Originally Posted by bwb
    In what format? There are tons of ticket software and not all even has logs, nor provides that type of thing. Do you really trust a hosting company to produce that?
    ok, just an idea.