Question Becoming a Certificate Authority (SSL)

I thought I would post this in the Business forum as you guys are the most likely to be able to answer this.

How do privileged companies like Volusion become "trusted" CAs for SSL certificates? Let's face it, many of us are capable of creating high quality encryption but so few of us have the apparently "divine right" to be trusted by Microsoft and Mozilla etc.

How does one go about becoming "trusted"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsurugi
    I thought I would post this in the Business forum as you guys are the most likely to be able to answer this.

How do privileged companies like Volusion become "trusted" CAs for SSL certificates? Let's face it, many of us are capable of creating high quality encryption but so few of us have the apparently "divine right" to be trusted by Microsoft and Mozilla etc.

How does one go about becoming "trusted"?

The easiest way is to acquire another trusted CA. Virtually every other CA is a well established business and in some cases actually pays to have their CA included in browsers. You would need to have your CA included and wait several years to reach market saturation to get any where near the current competition. It's a trust issue, would you as a browser company want to include a green certificate into your browser?

-Mat
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media