* Bandwiths Are Increasing

It looks like several of the hosts mentioned on this board have quietly increased bandwith limits on their starter accounts...ex:

McHost to 18 Gig..
    PixelSeven to 19G

Has any others done this...

Da New Guy

Why did you use the word "Quietly", I think I saw that Kiwi guy post something about it publicly.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Oh..I didn't realize that..I found it by accident while perusing their site..

hmmmm

MCHost mentioned publically to their customers on their forum, not sure if they mentioned it here, but sometimes they do.

This is all due to their dedicated server providers providing more bandwidth, such as eServers dot Biz or TranxactGlobal offering 500GB of bandwidth per server instead of the old 300GB. I assume this is the same for other hosts too. And then for the other web hosting companies, they might just be raising their bandwidth amounts to keep in with the market that they're in, and overselling their bandwidth. It doesn't really make a difference as their clients wouldn't even use more bandwidth, most clients don't need like 18GB bandwidth per month to host a small website, but they have the capacity to expand I guess.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

Exclamation Bandwidth

It looks like several of the hosts mentioned on this board have quietly increased bandwith limits on their starter accounts...ex:
    Hi All, Yes it looks like a bit of a "Bandwidth War" between the major players. It is nice to see an increase in the limits and makes for better competition between suppliers and brings better value for money for resellers. The real world is rarely anyone comes close to their allocated bandwith usage except for those people running big Chat rooms and such like. Most sites would be using around less than 3gigs Av month. Keep it up though MChost and HTTPme etc. Bring on the Deals!

Its a bit stupid, if they are offering unlimited domains then if the reseller is sucesfull then eventually they will use up their resources. Its a huge gamble, one that im not prepaired to take.

Originally posted by SplashHost.com
    Its a bit stupid, if they are offering unlimited domains then if the reseller is sucesfull then eventually they will use up their resources. Its a huge gamble, one that im not prepaired to take.
    I attend to agree with you Alan.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

If their clients use up "their resources", then they buy more. I don't see any "gamble". Servers cost $X/mth to run - clients on those servers generate $X/mth in revenue. The model works. If all clients on a given server use all their resources, will the model still work?? That depends on how many clients/box etc.

But I do agree that we need to get away from the "unlimited domains" line. It's not true.

I don't see the gamble at all. Dedicated server owners face a similar issue. All resources are finite, there's no question about that -- you can't put 10 pounds of stuff into a 5-pound bag no matter how you crunch the numbers. How a reseller chooses to divide up the allotted space, to what degree they oversell, the kinds of Web sites and other account management factors contribute to how well the concept works for a given individual. We have no problems with it at all and neither do our resellers.

So if you put a 20 domains limit on a plan (for example) ...don't you think any domain on the plan could easily use up all resources? I don't mind if you call your competition stupid but our business plan allows us to make a nice profit after paying al employees and even if all resellers use up their allowed resources. Its a win-win situation in any way
    Marc Wyss - [email protected]
    MCHost Inc - Experts in Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://www.mchost.com

Ive got some Dual 1ghz servers, SCSI drives etc.. Ive found that with the unlimited domain type reseller plan it can only serve around 100-150gb before the load starts to get too high. Your $100 dv2 and rackshack servers may offer 300-500gb, but what does it matter when its very unlikely you will be able to use it. Sure you could use it if the sites you hosted were download sites, but thats not likely to happen.

Now if you take the $30/month reseller account from mehost which offers 50gb then 3 of these accounts could fill up that whole server. $90 revenue from one server is hardly impressive. These reseller providers offering the world for nothing may well have about 20 resellers per server to start with, but as the months go by the unsuccesfull resellers will leave and slowly the amount of resellers on that server decrease and you make less and less money. You cant add more resellers because the load is allready high. In a years time will you be making any money off that server?

Yes you can argue that the amount of domains on a server doesnt matter, but its very easy to spot one large site is using a lot resources and tell them they need to cut down. Its not so easy to do with 30 small sites.

P.S Im not trying to start a big argument.
    Last edited by Alan - Vox; 06-15-2002 at 01:03 PM.

Your $100 dv2 and rackshack servers may offer 300-500gb
    Just to clarify while we do have servers at DV2 and they're one of the best data centers out there, we don't use cheap $100 servers and have never used rackshack servers. Most servers have a pretty low traffic rate ...at http://www.mchost.com/network/traffic.html there are all servers listed except 2 new ones (mrtg graphs look a little funny on the left because they were switched off for a few hours).

I believe mehost is owned by someone at Site5, as i have read in another thread. I think they know very well what they're doing, too. In the end, it all depends on what your business plan is, where you want to get and what is best for your clients.

AH a voice of reason, taking risk that fit's your parameters is the road to success and growth.

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Originally posted by Kiwi
    I believe mehost is owned by someone at Site5, as i have read in another thread. I think they know very well what they're doing, too.
    It's actually owned by Jason from pwebtech.com - http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...197#post387197

Correct, sorry about that

Kiwi i wasnt speaking about your company only, im not saying your business plan is bad, mine is very close to yours afterall, a little cheaper with a little less bandwidth. Your usage graphs back up what i was saying earlier

Today is a slow day check my graph. You should have seen it last week, I broke 240 consistantly.

mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails day.png  
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Originally posted by Kiwi
    Correct, sorry about that
    We'll let it go this time Kiwi.

MeHost could be playing the averages game, offering higher account specs with the theory that not everyone will use their account allowances.

Bear in mind that Pwebtech lease quite a section of the NAC datacenter, therefore they will have more negiotating power for bandwidth and hardware costs, resulting in lower overheads per server.

I personally don't see how offering more domains would be a huge gamble. Resellers are just splitting up their main account into smaller chunks, whereas with a lower domain limit, their main account will be in larger chunks.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!