Thinking about ResellerZoom

There seems to be an abundance in positive feedback for reselerzoom, however, i have read a few posts that have had doubt about their budget plans.

What is the difference between their budget and advanced plans??
    The fact taht their comparison compares the plans to be "Lower resource limit " vs "50% less users than budget" doesnt tell us much about the difference between actual performance or actual differences.

Anyone knows what the differences are??

There are several differences - the main being performance. First - you will get better server performance from their Advance plans. Next live support is generally for Advanced plans where Budget uses only ticket support. Advance plan offers you ClientExec at no cost plus they provide End-User Support (your clients) where budget doesnt.

Apart from the differences as Jerett mentioned there are also the following differences:

8. Resource Usage.
    You agree to not use excessive amounts of resources. Any violations may result in us taking corrective action in order maintain server stability by killing any processes, disabling and/or suspending your account.

* Budget resellers may not use more than 1% CPU daily, run more than 8 simultaneous processes per user or allow any process to run for longer than 15 CPU seconds. Databases are limited to 8 max user connections.

* Advanced resellers may not use more than 2% CPU daily, run more than 16 simultaneous processes per user or allow any process to run for longer than 30 CPU seconds. Databases are limited to 16 max user connections.

* Premium resellers may not use more than 3% CPU daily, run more than 24 simultaneous processes or allow any process to run for longer than 45 CPU seconds. Databases are limited to 24 max user connections.

Reseller Zoom reserves the right to make adjustments to these limits at our sole discretion. If Reseller Zoom takes corrrective action Customer shall not be entitled to a refund of any fees paid in advanced.
    It all depends on the kind of sites you are going to host, budget accounts are only really good for static low traffic sites.

The clearly state the purpose of each type of account on:
    http://resellerzoom.com/hosting.shtml

issues

I have reseller zoom and looking for something else - I am experienceing mail issues, as well as server down time (an entire day). I have the advanced plan.
    Jusy FYI....

Really - What server are you on because I have not experienced any downtime.

Thanks,
    Jerett

newton and I have asked to be moved and they won't.

I'm using budget and very satisfied... "newton" underwent hardware replacement, raid sync issues lately

Quote Originally Posted by apfotos
    newton and I have asked to be moved and they won't.
    When they are replacing the hard drives on a large RAID array and waiting for them to sync up, they can't move your sites even if they wanted to. It's impossible. You have to be patient and wait until the server is restored. Then they can move it if you want them to.

When you deal with large hard drives in a multi-hard drive array, you must expect that when there is a failure, it takes all day to replace it. To avoid this, you need servers with small SCSI drives that can be replaced within an hour or two. But hosts that have small SCSI drives on their servers can't provide these huge amounts of disk space that the large drive arrays can provide. You can't have it both ways. If you want to offer huge amounts of disk space, you need large drives that take all day to replace when they fail. If you want higher reliability, you have to settle for less space, small SCSI drives and more distribution of websites across more servers. Then you will have what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by apfotos
    I have reseller zoom and looking for something else - I am experienceing mail issues, as well as server down time (an entire day). I have the advanced plan.
    Jusy FYI....
    The server was rebooted and went into an automatic raid initialization which causes high load due to heavy IO. There were no hardware replacement and due to the high load you may get a 404 but the server is not actually down. Unfortunately this can not be stopped once it goes into a sync which is done to ensure data on both drives are consistent. I understand how much of an inconvienence it is and do thank you for your patience.
    • IO ZOOM - 100% SSD VPS Hosting
    • Pure SSD / Raid 10 / Free DDoS Protection / KVM Virtualization
    • Datacenter Locations in Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, and Miami
    • www.ioZoom.com / sales[at]iozoom.com

I personally have been using their buget reseller plan for a year now and it all works well and their support is very good but the only issue is server load because they do put a lot of plans on one server so you are sharing resouces with a lot of people. So if you do want to go with resellerzoom I reccomend choosing an advanced plan just for better server load.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

Quote Originally Posted by ServersAndDomains
    When you deal with large hard drives in a multi-hard drive array, you must expect that when there is a failure, it takes all day to replace it. To avoid this, you need servers with small SCSI drives that can be replaced within an hour or two. But hosts that have small SCSI drives on their servers can't provide these huge amounts of disk space that the large drive arrays can provide. You can't have it both ways. If you want to offer huge amounts of disk space, you need large drives that take all day to replace when they fail. If you want higher reliability, you have to settle for less space, small SCSI drives and more distribution of websites across more servers. Then you will have what you are looking for.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. People want the world, but at the cheapest price possible. There has to be compromise somewhere along the line, both from the host and the clients. Most SCSI drives are about 73GB...add the OS on top of that, other misc. server software, you're left with about 65GB of usable space. Now when you consider the price of support, bandwidth, the server, and misc. costs, how much leeway do clients think we have?

Quote Originally Posted by WK-Anthony
    I couldn't have said it better myself. People want the world, but at the cheapest price possible. There has to be compromise somewhere along the line, both from the host and the clients. Most SCSI drives are about 73GB...add the OS on top of that, other misc. server software, you're left with about 65GB of usable space. Now when you consider the price of support, bandwidth, the server, and misc. costs, how much leeway do clients think we have?

Clients typically DON'T UNDERSTAND what you're going through. Perhaps try explaining it to them. I understand that you don't want to be bashed in a public forum, nobody does, but ridiculing him doesn't win you any points with me.

I'll know to steer clear of your services. I'm not a "tech geek" and couldn't figure this stuff out until someone took a minute to explain it...

How is that in any way ridiculing him? It was a generalization. You're already on this forum. There's forums for dedicated servers, offers, etc.. If you really wanted to learn more, all you would have to do is read the first few threads in the dedicated section. But like I said, most clients don't care and look at the price vs. features ratio.

Not to mention the age old adage of "you get what you paid for". You see it with cars, food, houses, cellphone carriers, and I'm keeping it short. Why would webhosting be any different? Sure there's a few exceptions, but very few and far in-between.

Anthony,

Maybe I mis-read what you intended to say, however, it sounded like you thought the guy was "stupid" for even bringing it up. Seemed he was most upset about not being moved, and it made me wonder if he, as the customer, was even told why he couldn't be moved.

I agree with you that there are many people out there who want something for nothing. It's a fact of life. I am a tax accountant by trade, and people think my prices are outrageous too.

Be the best at what you do, and don't criticize.... That's my philosophy.

If I misunderstood you, I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy
    Clients typically DON'T UNDERSTAND what you're going through. Perhaps try explaining it to them. I understand that you don't want to be bashed in a public forum, nobody does, but ridiculing him doesn't win you any points with me.

I'll know to steer clear of your services. I'm not a "tech geek" and couldn't figure this stuff out until someone took a minute to explain it...
    I would have to agree with you Hosts tend to assume clients know everything. 90% of them don't. That is a fact of life and something many hosts understand ad work through with clients, but sadly some assume we were all born with a mouse in our hand and used servers as legos.
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

I've used ResellerZoom, and others... but I would have to say they are the only ones I haven't had any problems out of. Services are always up, and running smoothly, I have an Advanced plan, support sometimes can be slow, but at different times of the day, I understand the overhead... Overall I recommend them to anyone.

I've used over 10 different reseller accounts. They come and go. The one I've stayed with the longest are HOSTGATOR and RESELLERZOOM.

I won't say that I've never had problems with RESELLERZOOM. But overall, they're ok with me. Support is always there.

And I have both a BUDGET and an ADVANCED plan. Although I don't notice problems with my BUDGET plan, I wouldn't advise it at all. The ones I put there are very, very static sites of clients who don't even check their own websites.

Trying to run something like a small forum, a CMS, wordpress, etc., on a Budget server could be troublesome.

I'd highly recommend RZ but go for the Advanced or Premium plans.

Errr... how much load can a cimple CMS or a small forum put on a server? Can comeone confirm that Resellerzoom budget plans can't "survive" forums with 50 members and a wordpress blog? I find it hard to believe, but please give more opinions and expiriences.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokus
    Can someone confirm that Resellerzoom budget plans can't "survive" forums with 50 members and a wordpress blog? I find it hard to believe, but please give more opinions and experiences.
    I can tell you one thing. I have a $4.95 budget reseller account with RZ and the next one I got was a $24.95 advanced reseller. What does that tell you? And to think that my Advanced Reseller plan still have 100% generally static sites (no forum, CMS, blog, etc).

Think about it man. FIVE DOLLARS? How much do you really expect to get from it?

My personal experience is that I have one SMF forum running on my budget reseller plan (cameron server) and I'm the only one using it (for documenting some stuff). I do notice some sluggishness at times.

I mean, if you just have personal sites or sites that can work around heavy loads every now and then, you could always try out their budget reseller plans. To tell you honestly, I've had more problems on GRAY (advanced) than on CAMERON (budget). Despite that, I'd still stick with RZ (advanced) and still not recommend using their budget reseller plan.

Actually, considering that it's $4.95 a month, the easiest way to find the answer is to simply sign up and try it out.

I do hope to see more posts about other people's opinion on ResellerZoom's Budget Reseller plans.

Thanks one19, very good review.
    The budget plan is too good to be true (in terms of price ). It's obvious there's a catch for these plans.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

There is no catch, they clearly state the purpose of the budget account and the other accounts on the site:

The Budget Reseller Plan is a great starter plan with value for web developers to host multiple low traffic websites under the same account for one low price.

* Value plan great for webmasters to host multiple sites under one account
    * 24/7 helpdesk support with a 99.9% uptime SLA guarantee
    * Suitable for low traffic low resource usage websites
    And they also have different resource limits: (from their AUP):

8. Resource Usage.
    You agree to not use excessive amounts of resources. Any violations may result in us taking corrective action in order maintain server stability by killing any processes, disabling and/or suspending your account.

* Budget resellers may not use more than 1% CPU daily, run more than 8 simultaneous processes per user or allow any process to run for longer than 15 CPU seconds. Databases are limited to 8 max user connections with a max query time of 5 seconds..

* Advanced resellers may not use more than 2% CPU daily, run more than 16 simultaneous processes per user or allow any process to run for longer than 30 CPU seconds. Databases are limited to 16 max user connections with a max query time of 8 seconds.

* Premium resellers may not use more than 3% CPU daily, run more than 24 simultaneous processes or allow any process to run for longer than 45 CPU seconds. Databases are limited to 24 max user connections with a max query time of 10 seconds.
    I have a budget account with a lot of static website and I am very satisfied with that account. But for sites with Forums I use my new Advanced account.

Quote Originally Posted by Til
    I have a budget account with a lot of static website and I am very satisfied with that account. But for sites with Forums I use my new Advanced account.
    Well, even their "stringent" rules for Budget plans seem quite adequate for hosting a small phpBB forum. It doesn't say "static sites only" anywhere.

Anyway, I've bought three months so I'm going to see for myself.

No, it doesn't anymore but I remember that they stated "low traffic static sites" in the past. But a small phpBB won't be a problem.

Good luck and tell us in three months about your experience.

I just hope it doesn't ruin their reputation though. A lot of people just don't get it and they'd want to pay $4.95 and jam the server with what nots. I guess everyone has their own interpretation of a low traffic low resource usage website

The thing is you can have a Budget Reseller Plan and know your own limits. But you can have another customer on the same server going crazy with it, and you get affected no matter how well you "follow the rules" so to speak.
    Last edited by one19; 10-10-2006 at 07:54 AM.

I have a budget reseller and run wordpress on it, without any major problems. For $5, I'm more than satisfied with the service

They have had several issues over the past few weeks, so either my timing sucks or they have a lot of problems.

Support is ok, but really I would prefer to get a person on the phone and get a real explanation.

In respect to the raid situation, under raid 5 if you replaece a drive and it starts to sync ( control cpu ) the disk I/O is slow HOWEVER you would not be down.

I'm not sure what raid your talking about, but we have always been able to get swapped drives both mirrored or raid 5 replaced hot-swap and kept on moving without having to reboot etc.

They also don't do a good job of letting the users know what's going on... many of their chat techs tell us, don't worry it will be up soon, that attitude doesn't work for me, they have NO idea the timeframe or the problem.

Yesterday literally 18 hours of NO WHM or CPANEL on the server.

And this is that we are paying Extra money to get the failover server.......
    Thanx!

Joey

Thumbs down Forget Resellerzoom Trust Me!

I am F'n done with resellerzoom. They simply suck.
    I have been down soooooooooo many times in 3 weeks I can't take it, and my client thinks that we provide CRAP service, which may make me loose the client.

They don't give phone support, so you can't get a feel for what's really going on.
    Chat support is useless.

First some raid BS problem, and down for a day, then cpanel problems, now mail is LOST IN SPACE.

In 3 weeks I destroyed my reputation of 7 years with a client because of resellerzoom, and I am DONE with them.

Make another choice if you don't want to drive yourself NUTS!
    Thanx!

Joey

Quote Originally Posted by DeWebDude

RZ can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

The idea of failover is to avoid prolonged downtime while keeping data in sync. That's the core problem. If data syncs up in real-time, then of course cPanel and WHM won't work. All cPanel is, is a piece of software, of which probably syncs up (errors and all) to the failover server. Failover is good in case of hardware failure (I'm not sure about services, such as httpd however)

We had a cpanel license error that was resolved once it was updated.

I am F'n done with resellerzoom. They simply suck.
    I have been down soooooooooo many times in 3 weeks I can't take it, and my client thinks that we provide CRAP service, which may make me loose the client.

They don't give phone support, so you can't get a feel for what's really going on.
    Chat support is useless.

First some raid BS problem, and down for a day, then cpanel problems, now mail is LOST IN SPACE.

In 3 weeks I destroyed my reputation of 7 years with a client because of resellerzoom, and I am DONE with them.

Make another choice if you don't want to drive yourself NUTS!
    If we have an issue on a server it's posted in the network status forum as stated in your welcome email. Since in your previous post you mentioned Failover I will assume thats the plan you're on. However, it wasn't down for a day nor did it have any raid issues. As a matter of fact we didn't have any servers down for a day so please PM me your ticket number or email me at kiet[at]hostingzoom.com and i'll be happy to look into your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by WK-Anthony
    RZ can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

The idea of failover is to avoid prolonged downtime while keeping data in sync. That's the core problem. If data syncs up in real-time, then of course cPanel and WHM won't work.
    Our servers replicate data in real-time and does not do any syncing. Cpanel is just another service on the server that fails over like any other service if the server it's located on fails.

I never got to know if i can host Mambo on a budget reseller. I have like 700 Unique visitors daily and about 2000 page views. Anyone can answer me on that?

THX!

Thumbs down

Well I'm running a simple CMs and have converted a lot of the content to HTML already because RZ was going to close the site due to resource "abuse".

For the past 3 years I paid yearly for a 20$ budget account and was told to upgrade to a 85$ plan or find another host. Without even suggesting any other options or give some log info on what is going on. A bit rude and after some back and forth I actually got some stats on what was overloading the server: a calendar script.

When the site was within the limits the forum seemed to be abusing itself?!?! They closed without a warning and I was told to upgrade or move again, but this time they included the option "fix the problem" and helped me troubleshoot the issue.

It pretty much meant closing the most popular feature of the site: a forum with an average of 15 users.

Budget plans are pretty bad these days, it feels like they oversold their resources. The server is sluggis and times-out a lot. MySQL dissapears, sites "site not found" errors on a frequent basis. To be honest I don't feel they will offer me a lot more with an advanced plan.

In the past my answer to everything would be "get a resellerzoom account"
    Now my advice is: you better stay away from them, they are just as bad as all the other "too popular for their own good" hosts. And if you can afford the advanced plans you can probably do a lot better somewhere else.

So far I have read about 3 RAID failures, one of them failed so bad they had to restore backups. Despite the fact I know they have a lot of servers so some hardware fallout is inevitable I think they are messing up more then they should.

After 3 years I will be looking for another host and I don't think it wil be a budget one. You get what you paid for nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokus
    Errr... how much load can a cimple CMS or a small forum put on a server? Can comeone confirm that Resellerzoom budget plans can't "survive" forums with 50 members and a wordpress blog? I find it hard to believe, but please give more opinions and expiriences.

Maybe it had switched to the backup server and in the meantime the original server came back!

From their website:
    How does the failover work?
    Our servers run a failover application that check the servers every second. If a failure is detected our application will automatically initiate the available server to take over all server services (web, email, mysql, cpanel, etc). Once all server services are failed over (up to 2 minutes) your website will remain online until the failed server is fixed. To see a flash diagram on how our system works
    I was considering them, but common, the reason for server downtime being a problem with RAID? WTH has this world come to? Downtime on multiple redundant servers being caused by RAID. Hmmmm. Makes me bloody angry just to think about it.

I think I'll send my customers a notice saying prices are increasing so I can afford ServInt. Comments on hostgator anyone? Or am I asking for trouble even at that price. I pay $28/month at Site5 for absolutely mad service. 24h+ response times to tickets even when major services are down.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelian
    I never got to know if i can host Mambo on a budget reseller. I have like 700 Unique visitors daily and about 2000 page views. Anyone can answer me on that?

THX!
    I see the word "budget package" and Mambo that probably you have a forum or some database that use mysql.

If it serves mostly static pages then you can get alot of hits but if mysql get hit alot then I doubt that since your on a reseller server that probably has alot of site hosted per each reseller at about 5 dollars a month you better believe that alot people will keep that until they need to move up.

If your making some profit into the website then you might want move up to a advanced reseller as resellerzoom states that it has alot less users on those servers but then again that doesn't really mean much if you got alot of power resellers or power sites on it.

But at $5 a month wouldn't really hurt your wallet to just try and see right~

Quote Originally Posted by danbuhler
    . Comments on hostgator anyone? Or am I asking for trouble even at that price. I pay $28/month at Site5 for absolutely mad service. 24h+ response times to tickets even when major services are down.
    HG seems like they increased their package and you can search about them here, they have good reputation over this forum.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I was considering them, but common, the reason for server downtime being a problem with RAID?
    For $24.95 on my Advanced One (GRAY) and another $24.95 on my FailOver One (R2), I'm generally happy. Ironically, my Budget One (CAMERON) has had the least problems lately (but that's maybe because I hardly have any of my important customers there).

I think I'll send my customers a notice saying prices are increasing so I can afford ServInt. Comments on hostgator anyone? Or am I asking for trouble even at that price. I pay $28/month at Site5 for absolutely mad service. 24h+ response times to tickets even when major services are down.
    Site 5? Ha-ha-ha! I have 2 reseller accounts with them for over a year. For some reseller accounts, it can be "what might work for you won't work for me". For example, I'm fine with RZ so far but others hate it. But Site5? For the life of me, I don't know why anyone who knows anything still hosts with them?

If we had a "best website design award,", Site5 will be my pick. For best hosting, they won't even be on the list of choices.

HostGator, I've been using them about 2 years. I have 2 Aluminum Resellers with them. I'm happy with them, too.

If I have to choose only one right now, I'll have to go with HostGator.

That's because recently, I've had problems with emails not reaching Yahoo at all (or going to Yahoo's Bulk Folder). It's happened to both on my ResellerZoom and HostGator reseller accounts. But with ResellerZoom, I've experienced a day (or a few hours, not sure) where emails were not coming in (on GRAY) and they never did! That was just a couple of days ago. I don't recall that it happened in my HostGator accounts (yet).

For me though, email is most important as we host small business sites. Their websites are mostly static and email is most important for them.

For general uptime, HostGator is a step up over ResellerZoom. That's based on my own personal experience.

What I like about ResellerZoom is that you have everything on their forum. Site5, for example, deletes almost everything that they might as well not have a forum. I haven't been looking at the forum at HostGator too much 'coz maybe because their uptime is better.

Ultimately, for $24.95 (same price), I'm happy with my ResellerZoom and HostGator accounts. But if I had more money, I'd still be looking for something better.

I am using the first entry Budget package. I'm quiet satisfied with them. I signed up with last January 2006, and i have already renewed for 2008.
    He who hates correction will die. --Proverbs 15:10
    Jeffrey's Cute Blog | My stockphotos and illustrations