Question Same IP, multiple DNS Servers?

Hello Fellow Gurus

I'm a little confused over this scenario. So just need confirmation if my understanding is correct. Hopefully this info can help others.

I have 2 IPs: 1.1.1.1 & 1.1.1.2

Can I point multiple nameservers at many registrars using those IPs, i.e. ns1.mydomain.com ns1.yourdomain.com ns1.herdomain.com all use same IP 1.1.1.1 ?? That may include registrar not under ICANN (i.e. country-level).

I think it is theoretically possible? Any problem with this approach? Or do we need unique IP for each "host/ns" registered at registrar?

Secondly in tinydns, we set it up to listen to specific IP address for a particular nameserver. Do we have a similar setup in BIND, coz its been sometime I played with BIND Do BIND need separate instances/process for each NS to serve queries? Or one process on one machine can answer all kinds of queries?

Thanks in advance!
    × Dedicated Servers × cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    × VPS × Backups × Cloud × Colocation × Managed Services
    × Webx Networks × Serving world wide since 1997

I know with GoDaddy you can, but I'm not sure about other registrars since I've primarily used GoDaddy. I never had a problem with such a setup. You can even point ns1 and ns2 to the same IP address.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

By default, BIND listens to all network interfaces. SO, only one named process is needed.

As for ns for a domain, I think 2 different IPs are required as per some rfc. I may be wrong.
    Some NICs require 2 name servers in different subnet.

Thanks ToastyX & taz0 for the confirmation

That actually means that with 2 IPs alone, hosting companies can setup their resellers private nameservers

If anyone has any problem with that, let me know and I'll fix it

× Dedicated Servers × cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    × VPS × Backups × Cloud × Colocation × Managed Services
    × Webx Networks × Serving world wide since 1997

The unique IP requirement was a CNO registry requirement. It has recently been recinded, however some registrar systems may still check...

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

Originally posted by thewitt
    The unique IP requirement was a CNO registry requirement. It has recently been recinded, however some registrar systems may still check...
    It may be a problem for some of the country code domains, but my understanding was that Verisign was the last holdout to the unique I requirement, and they relented earlier this year.