Thread: For Webhosts

For Webhosts

Hi all,
    I hope all the webhosts here can help me.
    I was wondering what most of you sell the most, whats easiest to sell and what is the most profitable.

- Dedicated servers
    - VPS
    - Shared Hosting

Thanks in advanced
    Calvin

It depends on how is your experience is and other relative things just like your promotional ability,your budget,..,etc anyway I recommend shared hosting and as I always say to be a chicken you must be a chick at first.
    HayPay.com withdrawal services.
    switch your e-money to instant real cash.
    Easy to start - One time fee - No transaction fee.

Shared hosting.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Dedicated Servers
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

If by profitable, you mean lucrative, then probably shared hosting.
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

Quote Originally Posted by xoopa
    I was wondering what most of you sell the most, whats easiest to sell and what is the most profitable.
    - Dedicated servers
    - VPS
    - Shared Hosting
    Simple answer - there isnt one :p

Every host is different, and any that share this kind of information are probably just winding you up.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

7. Shared hosting is probable the biggest thing at the time. If your looking to invest for the future of web hosting then I would say VPS plans.

If you really want to appeal to all people you could sell all 3 types!

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech
    any that share this kind of information are probably just winding you up.
    Why would you say that? What does a host have to gain or lose by telling him which aspect of hosting is most profitable for them? Its not like he asked for specific numbers or anything - just a one-word answer.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Hi all,
    Thanx for all the feedback.

We have about 15 dell PE servers (2550, 2650, 1650, 1750) at our colo and dont want it go to waste. They use to run our content sites, but recently, we decided to stop the service (not profitable anymore).

We are also running a few lyris listmanager 9.0 pro email list hosting software on win2k3 machines. Im just trying to figure out whats the best way to utilize the additional servers. The mail servers only run at 20mbit per sec at peak, and trickles down to less then 5mbits per sec normally.
    We are on a 100mbit connection at our colo so have plenty of bandwidth going to waste. Our servers are in a 42u locked private cabinet.

As for how we are planning on marketing it, we are still working on that.
    How about reseller accts? Just sell to resellers? Are there alot of resellers out there?

Anyway,
    Thanks again,
    Calvin

I'm just guessing here, but I'm going to say (and get ready for some abuse) that 95% of hosting companies out there are "resellers" of some sort. By "reseller", I mean they do not own the hardware or software....and they lease the equipment/services from someone else.

(ducking now!)

Quote Originally Posted by Now_what
    95% of hosting companies out there are "resellers" of some sort
    and 95% of those left dont actually run those "global 100Gb/s BGP4 networks" they claim on their websites !
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Shared Hosting.

And that is all I will reveal, don't ask for specific details.
    Hostime Managed Hosting
    Opening the bridge between your business and the world.
    http://www.hostime.com

From my experience with webhosting companies I have used in the past. Start with shared, then as upgrades are needed the rest follow.
    Web Hosting Review - Real Reviews by Real People Submit your company and get a link to your site, Read Reviews GET YOUR Voice HEARD and REVIEW your HOST NOW!!! Check out our IT Blog Tips & Tricks

Most websites are hosted on shared platforms, I would split shared hosting up
    though into Linux and Windows. Linux Shared Hosting is the most popular.

Dan
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

I say it depends on your company. You might have better shared plans than dedicated plans for example.

But most people buy shared plans rather then dedicated/VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by gopzap
    I say it depends on your company. You might have better shared plans than dedicated plans for example.

But most people buy shared plans rather then dedicated/VPS.
    Indeed; I would say shared hosting has more oppurtunity for profit, etc.

If you run your business correctly, most any service should be profitable...

Shared hosting for sure! Reseller hosting also has a strong market if you target LOCAL market initially.

Once you stay in business for few years - you can add other services too. Majorly it depends on how well you handle things!
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

Hello,

To start with you can go with shared hosting business and then go a level up with Dedicated server.

VPS is entirely different. YOu need to study the market of VPS first and then step into this business.

Thank you.

Regards,

Dedicated Servers.

I think if you're just starting out it would be best to start with shared hosting.
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by xoopa
    Hi all,
    I hope all the webhosts here can help me.

- Dedicated servers
    - VPS
    - Shared Hosting

Thanks in advanced
    Calvin
    For us, the easiest is shared hosting.
    The most profitable is dedicated servers.
    Ryan Smith

Are you sure dedicated servers is the most profitable? (as a reseller?)
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

Hello,

Well it depends on you want you would like to sell.

Dedicated servers and VPS do make a sale but not as frequent as webhosting.

Shared hosting ofcourse has got a larger market than dedicated servers and vps and more in demand business right now.. Hosting is a real hot cake in the market today.

Thank you.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by inet7
    I'm just guessing here, but I'm going to say (and get ready for some abuse) that 95% of hosting companies out there are "resellers" of some sort. By "reseller", I mean they do not own the hardware or software....and they lease the equipment/services from someone else.

(ducking now!)

Funny, good thing u ducked , but did you know 100% webhosts out here and there(there as in mars??) are "Resellers of some sort" according to your post , those who dont own hardware or software and lease equipment/services are called "Resellers" than i doubt anyone here OWNS a Datacenter(to provide line(bw),a Power Company (to proivde power that is),Phone Company ( to make calls to verify orders to troubleshoot issues),Transport Company (to transport servers here and there else they would rely on others services like Canadapost and so on ....

Well if such a user exists than he shouldnt be even here at WHT reading cause he got other important things (like crusing in Viper, flitering with movie stars, going on cruises etc etc.... )

But anyways back to topic, Profit comes from a business , which has been well planned and there is some air and nurishment for the business to survive. Right now if I were you i would forget dedicated,shared,vps hosting and jump into "Gaming Arena" and proivde decent game servers at affoardable prices.

Cause "Games" never die and will never either and someone will always be on a lookout for a decent gameserver and only few decent game server providers exists.

So good luck in your adventures

Hi

I suggest for Shared Hosting.

Thanks & Regards
    Geetanjali

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    Funny, good thing u ducked , but did you know 100% webhosts out here and there(there as in mars??) are "Resellers of some sort" according to your post , those who dont own hardware or software and lease equipment/services are called "Resellers" than i doubt anyone here OWNS a Datacenter(to provide line(bw),a Power Company (to proivde power that is),Phone Company ( to make calls to verify orders to troubleshoot issues),Transport Company (to transport servers here and there else they would rely on others services like Canadapost and so on ....

Well if such a user exists than he shouldnt be even here at WHT reading cause he got other important things (like crusing in Viper, flitering with movie stars, going on cruises etc etc.... )

But anyways back to topic, Profit comes from a business , which has been well planned and there is some air and nurishment for the business to survive. Right now if I were you i would forget dedicated,shared,vps hosting and jump into "Gaming Arena" and proivde decent game servers at affoardable prices.

Cause "Games" never die and will never either and someone will always be on a lookout for a decent gameserver and only few decent game server providers exists.

So good luck in your adventures
    That was a shame. I was happily agreeing with you up until the "Gaming arena" point

I posted a lot about this on the other thread about starting up a gaming server provider.

Do you know why there are few decent game server providers? Because it's a lot harder to be one than it is a hosting provider. I promise you this I know this because I do both and have done for a very long time.
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by SH-Giles
    That was a shame. I was happily agreeing with you up until the "Gaming arena" point

I posted a lot about this on the other thread about starting up a gaming server provider.

Do you know why there are few decent game server providers? Because it's a lot harder to be one than it is a hosting provider. I promise you this I know this because I do both and have done for a very long time.
    Send me a PM on that other thread about gaming servers please. I wish to read it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mclaugh2006
    Send me a PM on that other thread about gaming servers please. I wish to read it.

Thanks.
    It didn't take much looking (I've checked the rules again and can't see anything against posting this url).

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=558410
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by SH-Giles
    It didn't take much looking (I've checked the rules again and can't see anything against posting this url).

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=558410

Cool. thanks.