Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Too many people complaint about "namecheap"; whats your story?

I have been looking all over the online forums and I have noticed all the complaints against namecheap. This is my story: I bought 2 domain names at namecheap when I payed everything was fine for about 3 hours it all worked
    perfect the interface is really easy to use they even gave a "free" whoisguard subscription with each domain. Some time after 3 hours my account had the famous "your account is locked for 99 years" message. So I contacted
    support from the website and from my email; I received a response saying my case is been viewd by the "Fraud Department" (How Ironic..!) and asked for number and time to call, to which I responded with the required number
    also including my house number and said that they could call me 24/7; they replied saying they would. I also called the number on the "whois" and got an aswering machine every time so I left a message. They still have my
    money and my domains. l still have hope but most likely I am just another "NameCheap took my domain names" story. Whats yours???????? Please we are all dying to know.
      0 Not allowed!

What country are you from? I heard they are more suspicious of certain countries.
    I heard more good than bad on them.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime
      0 Not allowed!

I have been with them for more than 4 years for now and everything has been very smooth!
    San
    Primary email: advanced dot programmer at gmail dot com ..
      0 Not allowed!

I am happy customer of theirs too. They are extremely good at what they are doing.

Your specific problem is perhaps a payment-related one. Most probably you used a credit card issued in one country and your IP wasn't from there.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).
      0 Not allowed!

I realize you want things resolved immediately. But billing issues are not easy to
    fix.

Billing and potential fraud issues do take time. You'll be lucky to see it resolved in
    24-48 hours from signup, but do expect them to take longer.

Just give them time, another 24-48 hours. As long as you know you're legitimate
    and will be RAW (Ready, Able, Willing) to "prove your case", then wait for them to
    contact you and advise what's the next step.
      0 Not allowed!

I am with them for 2 years now and I have over 15 domains with them. They always been very professionnal and beside some glitch with their interface in the past I wouldn't go anywhere else for now!

And with their recurring discount coupon you always have a domain for less than 8 bucks.

8 bucks for such great service why would anyone want more !

G
    PutFile.io Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.
      0 Not allowed!

* I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Googled
    I am with them for 2 years now and I have over 15 domains with them. They always been very professionnal and beside some glitch with their interface in the past I wouldn't go anywhere else for now!

And with their recurring discount coupon you always have a domain for less than 8 bucks.

8 bucks for such great service why would anyone want more !

G
    I've registered over 200 domains with them in the past two years, and needn't look elsewhere.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkonekt
    I have been looking all over the online forums and I have noticed all the complaints against namecheap. This is my story: I bought 2 domain names at namecheap when I payed everything was fine for about 3 hours it all worked
    perfect the interface is really easy to use they even gave a "free" whoisguard subscription with each domain. Some time after 3 hours my account had the famous "your account is locked for 99 years" message. So I contacted
    support from the website and from my email; I received a response saying my case is been viewd by the "Fraud Department" (How Ironic..!) and asked for number and time to call, to which I responded with the required number
    also including my house number and said that they could call me 24/7; they replied saying they would. I also called the number on the "whois" and got an aswering machine every time so I left a message. They still have my
    money and my domains. l still have hope but most likely I am just another "NameCheap took my domain names" story. Whats yours???????? Please we are all dying to know.
    It's possible there was a problem with the credit card/paypal account you used. They should contact people when doing something this drastic and explain the situation.

I love namecheap and use them for all my domain registrations, any domains I buy from someone else, I end up transferring to namecheap. I've had no problems with them, I've been using them for a couple of years.
      0 Not allowed!

I had asked Namecheap for an invoice (which I needed for tax reasons). They refused to provide me with one and wouldn't even respond to my support requests eventhough I told them I was going to register more than 3000 domains with them. So I moved on and found another good registrar who made more than 20.000 Dollars of revenue with me that I would have spent with Namecheap if only they had provided me with an invoice...
      0 Not allowed!

Can't you use the email confirmation you get when you register?

If you are really going to register over 3,000 domains and have spent over $20,000 to date you would be better getting a reseller account.
    Last edited by Techno; 09-29-2006 at 12:24 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Techno
    Can't you use the email confirmation you get when you register?
    Unfortunately, tax requirements differ from country to country. Email confirmations can't be used as invoices in European Union, for example. I wonder if they COULD be used anywhere else except of USA.

The general rule of thumb is that if customer asks for an invoice after the sale, merchant MUSTS provide one.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marsh
    Unfortunately, tax requirements differ from country to country. Email confirmations can't be used as invoices in European Union, for example. I wonder if they COULD be used anywhere else except of USA.

The general rule of thumb is that if customer asks for an invoice after the sale, merchant MUSTS provide one.
    That's right. In the European Union you must have an invoice. The email receipt isn't worth anything as it does not meet the requirements. In my country the invoice must contain my and their address and must state what has been sold exactly and when and for what price. Unfortunately there are hardly any US companies that offer invoices (fortunately EV1 and Burst do). I did contact about 10 US Registrars asking if they can provide me with an invoice if I sign a contract according to which I must buy at least 2000 domain names within a year. I even offered to pay extra for invoices. 7 of these 10 registrars did not respond at all. 2 responded and said it was not possible (imagine that...you offer to sign a 15.000 Dollar contract and they ignore you or tell you its not possible...US companies just seem to have too much money). Only one of them said they could do it. However at this time I already had signed a contract with a European Registrar. They are providing a reseller account to me and I am satisfied with their service but I am really disappointed about many US companies. They just don't give a damn if you need an invoice. According to EU consumer protection law I do not have to pay something I buy unless I receive an invoice. That means I could have done a chargeback and then wait until they give me an invoice but that would just have caused trouble (i.e. them suspending my domains).

I have the same problem with Paypal by the way. They won't send me an invoice for the Paypal fees eventhough they are a British company (the EU Paypal has an office in GB). If they do not provide me with an invoice I may have to sue them for one which would pay off because I paid well over 15.000 Dollars in Paypal fees and according to EU law they will have to pay the costs for the lawsuit and my lawyer if they lose and they will....
    Last edited by glace; 09-29-2006 at 10:00 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Can low cost doman sellers even afford to pay for mailed confirmations to international destinations and still keep a decent profit margin?
      0 Not allowed!

They do not need to mail it. They could send it via email or provide it online. However, the invoice needs to contain certain information. Just an email stating that you orderd a domain doesn't help. It would have to be an email with all the necessary information in it.

For example with EV1servers I can log in and download an invoice which is sufficient for me. Doesn't cost them anything. However, Namecheap do not provide an online invoice. They just have an order history which does not include sufficient information (i.e. their address is missing and my address is missing, too).
      0 Not allowed!

Use your credit card statement to prove that you bought the domains.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mv808
    Use your credit card statement to prove that you bought the domains.
    It's not that easy in some countries....
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by glace
    It's not that easy in some countries....
    Why exactly?
      0 Not allowed!

Why exactly?
    In other countries there are requirements that an invoice must meet in order to be accepted. Otherwise the tax department will not accept the expenses. Officially they say it is to prevent fraud. What I believe is that they do it because the more difficult it is to write off expenses the more tax they can get. It is a way to increase the tax without people complaining that much: Make it so difficult to write off expenses that people will have to pay tax on income they didn't actually have.
      0 Not allowed!

glace, I thought mv808 commented 'Use your credit card statement to prove that you bought the domains' to the OP, not you... This makes much more sence, IMO.
      0 Not allowed!

glace, I thought mv808 commented 'Use your credit card statement to prove that you bought the domains' to the OP, not you... This makes much more sence, IMO.
    Hm...maybe
      0 Not allowed!

glace, you're totally offtopic here, sorry to point this out. OP had a billing problem with Namecheap and mv808 told him to use his credit card statement to prove domain is his. This has nothing to do with invoices (although I fully agree with you on that particular topic).
      0 Not allowed!

I've never had any problems with namecheap, have used them for over 3 years now and have a dozen names with then. The credit card I use to renewel/buy domains with them has a billing address (UK) that is not the same as my IP (TW), no problem at all.
      0 Not allowed!

Currently my account holds 150 domains as of today there, NO PROBLEMS. Awesome company that has always been there to help my woes One time a little bit ago I registered a domain but for some reason it didn't show up in my account. Contacted them, within an hour they had the whole issue resolved.
    - 7de5igns
      0 Not allowed!

I registered 2 domains and everything went fine. After about 8 hours they sent a message saying transaction canceled, removed the registration and locked the account.

The support email is fairly slow to respond and after I emailed them their initial response said the same thing about "Fraud Department" and requested my phone number and time. Now I am in wait state hoping something will happen.

It seems they do not have correct procedure to handle such transactions.Account verification is used by many web hosting companies but they have clear procedure and they call you to verify before performing a transaction.

It seems neamecheap may not be a good solution if you are not from US/Europe. Although most people favor them here but there seems to be a pattern they are mostly from US and they have not faced support issues.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by crystalcube
    I registered 2 domains and everything went fine. After about 8 hours they sent a message saying transaction canceled, removed the registration and locked the account.

The support email is fairly slow to respond and after I emailed them their initial response said the same thing about "Fraud Department" and requested my phone number and time. Now I am in wait state hoping something will happen.

It seems they do not have correct procedure to handle such transactions.Account verification is used by many web hosting companies but they have clear procedure and they call you to verify before performing a transaction.

It seems neamecheap may not be a good solution if you are not from US/Europe. Although most people favor them here but there seems to be a pattern they are mostly from US and they have not faced support issues.

Our fraud department in most cases will call to verify an account before they close it. We will call anywhere in the world.

1. Did you provide valid contact information including a valid address and phone number? This is a requirement and stated so in our terms of service.

2. Were you around to receive a call if so?

3. We send an advisory email regardless to notify you of a hold.

Most cases of people complaining on forums about these sorts of issues are fraudsters to begin with. I would say in the area of 95% so I would not put too much stock into these kinds of posts. I'm not referring to you but in general.

I can't count the number of times on these forums and others where we've received these types of complaints by people with no prior posts only to have them dissappear once confronted.

Also, we are one of the few companies that actually allow transactions from all over the world. A lot of companies won't even accept transactions from high fraud countries while we do.
    Last edited by enetwork; 10-09-2006 at 11:01 AM.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by enetwork
    Most cases of people complaining on forums about these sorts of issues are fraudsters to begin with. I would say in the area of 95% so I would not put too much stock into these kinds of posts.

I can't count the number of times on these forums and others where we've received these types of complaints by people with no prior posts only to have them dissappear once confronted.
    Richard, we are fully aware of this... Unfortunately, these one-post wonders still exist, and you must deal with them.
      0 Not allowed!

Our fraud department in most cases will call to verify an account before they close it.
    I suppose the keyword here is "most cases" but I didn't received any info before the cancelation.

1. Did you provide valid contact information including a valid address and phone number?
    yes. It is same as my billing address. In case it was not valid the credit card transaction would not have gone through.

2. Were you around to receive a call if so?
    Yes I provided 2 numbers one of them is my cell phone munber.

3. We send and advisory email regardless to notify you of a hold.
    never recieved it. It cant be an email problem because I have received other mails. Including security activation and one email from support.

Most cases of people complaining on forums about these sorts of issues are fraudsters to begin with. I would say in the area of 95% so I would not put too much stock into these kinds of posts. I'm not referring to you but in general.

I was afraid of this that my low post count will be seen as a negative factor against me but I cant artificially inflate my post count. Although I have been registered for some time, its not that I registered today to post it.

btw the support response I received was from JerryG
      0 Not allowed!

Richard, it looks like you forgot to answer the question/suggestion about the invoices.

Thank you.
      0 Not allowed!

Also, we are one of the few companies that actually allow transactions from all over the world. A lot of companies won't even accept transactions from high fraud countries while we do.
    I am aware of that aspects and for this reason I normally try to find out in advance. If I am unsure I send an email before hand. I dont normally have problem but well theres always a first time for everything

In any case I recieved a call from NC, he was quite polite and I have my account active now.

I just hope its smooth after a bumpy start

Richard , is it possible for me to send you an email as I still cant use PM here ?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by crystalcube
    I am aware of that aspects and for this reason I normally try to find out in advance. If I am unsure I send an email before hand. I dont normally have problem but well theres always a first time for everything

In any case I recieved a call from NC, he was quite polite and I have my account active now.

I just hope its smooth after a bumpy start

Richard , is it possible for me to send you an email as I still cant use PM here ?
    Crystalcube,

I spoke to the head of our fraud department and he assured me that everyone was emailed and a call was attempted if the phone number was correctly listed.

That being said, I can't research this further without your username.

Please send an email to support and include "attention Richard Kirkendall" and I will receive it.

Glad you were taken care of and fell into the 5%.
    Last edited by enetwork; 10-09-2006 at 12:37 PM.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com
      0 Not allowed!

Richard, it looks like you forgot to answer the question/suggestion about the invoices.

Thank you.
    Thanks for the reminder Stan. We do not send out paper invoices as it is not cost effective at the price point we sell domains for.

The email receipts we do send each have a unique order number, domain purchased, the name of our company etc. All that needs to be done is for it to be printed out.

It's no different from going to a restaurant or any other business and getting a receipt. Other than being electronic that is.
    Last edited by enetwork; 10-09-2006 at 12:59 PM.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com
      0 Not allowed!

My a/c is active at NC now so there is no further need for research. Although I do wish that some of the procedure can be better handled for us poor 5% . I have sent an email as suggested by you.

thanks again.
      0 Not allowed!

Richard, with all due respect... Where I live you can go to the gas station and/or restaurant, buy something there and demand an invoice. They *MUST* provide one, if customer asks for it. As mentioned earlier, I can even refuse to make a payment w/o the invoice.

By the way, receipt (let alone email-based one) isn't the same as an invoice suitable to be used in bookkeeping... I think nobody asks you to snail-mail a printed one. A PDF file, received by email or downloaded from customer's area should do the trick...
      0 Not allowed!

Richard, with all due respect... Where I live you can go to the gas station and/or restaurant, buy something there and demand an invoice. They *MUST* provide one, if customer asks for it. As mentioned earlier, I can even refuse to make a payment w/o the invoice.

By the way, receipt (let alone email-based one) isn't the same as an invoice suitable to be used in bookkeeping... I think nobody asks you to snail-mail a printed one. A PDF file, received by email or downloaded from customer's area should do the trick...

We do allow you to look up and print all orders and transactions with our system which is more than enough for most of our client base. I'd say we've probably had 5-10 requests for something else in our entire 6 year history.

That being said, I do like the PDF suggestion. I will see if our developers can come up with something better. We are always looking to improve.

You can test it out once it's up. Where are you from BTW?
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you, Richard.

Just make sure it includes everything needed:

- seller's full style;
    - buyer's full style (and buyer sometimes isn't the same as receiver);
    - goods description;
    - units of measure;
    - price per unit;
    - full price;
    - *CURRENCY OF INVOICING* (the important thing that almost 90% of US invoices are missing).

Where are you from BTW?
    Let's make that European Union (tax law is more or less the same in every country there, only the tariffs differ)...
      0 Not allowed!

Namecheap Constant Account Suspensions in error

My experience at Namecheap can be summed up as constant Account Suspensions in error, followed by a struggle to find compentent Namecheap staff who can reinstate my account.

If you are looking for a hosting company DO NOT select Namecheap.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by namecheap411 View Post
    My experience at Namecheap can be summed up as constant Account Suspensions in error, followed by a struggle to find compentent Namecheap staff who can reinstate my account.

This thread is really old and doesn't require a bump.. but to sum up my experience, it has been nothing but amazing till today I've not had a single issue. (thus far.. only the future can tell..)
    TrentaHost INC. | 5 Years Operating | DDOS Protected Network | Multiple Locations | 24/7 Support
    DDOS Protected Web/Reseller/Master - DEDICATED IP | WHMCS | CloudFlare | LiteSpeed | CloudLinux
    DDOS Protected KVM Windows & Linux VPS | 7 Locations | 20GBPS DDOS Protection Windows & Linux VPS
    DDOS Protected Dedicated Servers | 20GBPS DDOS Protection | Control Panel | Price Match Guarantee*
      0 Not allowed!

Namecheap?

As others have mentioned, their prices are FAR from cheap and their support sucks big time. I have moved most of my domains out and will not be renewing any more with them
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by namecheap411 View Post

If your account is getting suspended there are obviously underlying issues. WHT, however, and a 7 year old thread is not the place to discuss this.

Please get in touch with us via [email protected] or myself personally ([email protected]).
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!
      0 Not allowed!

Namecheap has been my domain registrar of choice for the past 10 years or so. (Since I was in middle school! )

Never once had a bad experience or issue.
    IntelliSerp - The most accurate and intelligent keyword rank tracking software.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast